What's new

Stunning black Spec-R vs. Detailing Jem

Jem

Trader
Reaction score
Country
I've been down to West London today to detail is very nice S15. The car was last detailed two years ago by another detailer who advised the owner the paint was thin, and how right he was, in some places there was barely 50 microns of paint, so a full correction wouldn't be possible. The plan was to remove less than a micron of paint on most of the car, which should remove the majority of swirls and restore the gloss to the paint. Then to help the paint stay looking good for as long as possible Gtechniq C1 was applied which chemically bonds to the paint to form a hard crystalline layer making the paint more resistant to future swirls, and it came out pretty well :D

Reaction score
You mentioned that the paint was only 50 microns thick in places. I'm just curious to know as to how you would measure the thickness of the paint?

Jem

Trader
Reaction score
Country
By using a paint thickness gauge. You simply hold it onto a panel and it gives to a total paint thickness reading in microns. It's invaluable when machine polishing. This is a fairly typical reading on a Jap car.

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jem, many thanks for doing such a great job on the car, very happy with the results. Here are a few of my own pics....