What's new

3 cylinders

Reaction score
last night.... after comin' out the pub.... my car was only running on 3 cylinders.

it had only been sat for an hour or so. no sign of nothing wrong on the drive there. the cylinder that wasn't firing though, had started firing again by the time i'd drove home.....i live less than a mile from the pub,so wasn't a long drive...the car was still warm before i started my return!

is there any specifics that i could look to change? leads and plugs i think i'm gonna change anyhow.... so any suggestions on what? also, what about coilpacks??? i'm guessin' the coilpacks are gonna be the most expensive part of the change, so i'll change the others first, then see how it goes... or, rather than changing anything, wait,...see if it persists??? i've not been back out in the car since last night, so don't know if it's going to do it again or not.

cheers :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
A coilpack, or a loose connection to a coilpack. Leave the spark cover off and the next time it does it, pop the bonnet and wiggle each connector in turn to see if it recovers. If it doesn't, you're going to have to narrow down the coilpack (unless its evident which cylinder isn't firing).

Before ordering a new coilpack, just check you sparks to make sure it isn't one of them.

A new coilpack is about ?50 from Nissan and you should get it within 3 days.

22448-91F00 - COIL ASSY-IGNITION

Its an S15 specific part. S14 coilpacks won't fit.

Once you've got the replacement, work your way through the packs until its sorted.

If its a dodgy connector, fix it :p

Reaction score
well, been back out in the car now.... and it hasn't done it again.....

so, like you say, i'll have to wait and see if it arises again... :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Dying coilpacks do so intermittently to start with. Strongly hints it isn't a spark, cos that would be permanent. Check anyway :nod:

Reaction score
right, oh... well... it's a waiting game to see if it happens again, and if so, which one... lol

cheers! :) tempted to order one in ready and waiting... but knowing my luck, i'll do that and it won't do it again! haha!

M

Meddy

I did have this happen to me once. Just once. I put it down to moisture on one of the coilpack connectors as its never done it again. I do have a couple of spare coilpacks waiting just incase though. :D

J

Jono

I wonder if that's what's wrong with mine then?

Is making so much noise it's doing my head in. I think I've got a hole or loose joint in the exhaust system somewhere. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
it's done about 40,000 miles.

not only does it run like shite, sound like a scooby.... it also shakes like a mofo! the gear stick wobbles like mad! it's not gone it again since!

Reaction score
done it again yesterday.... but it was chucking it down real bad...so just came back inside. when it'd stopped rainin' and i went out to check,...it wasn't doing it no longer! GRRR

so i'm stil no better off as to knowing what's wrong!

Reaction score
yea, basically what we've confirmed too... just gotta try find out which one it is now... could be wise to order one in and wait....

Reaction score
ordered and playing the waiting game now.....

great thing on the phone though...

dazz: i'd like to order a part please mate.
nissan: ok mate, what car is it for.
dazz: silvia S15
nissan: umm, ..................................................................
dazz: would you like a part number, think that'd be easiest!
nissan: yea, please if you've got one (no back on tone as if he knows what he's doing again)

nearly pished myself!!! lol are they really that rare that even nissan themselves don't know of them????