What's new

New front brake pads - urgent !

Reaction score
Ok - I'm off to Manfield Raceway on Friday (14 hour return trip!!!) for some spirited driving but I'm considering a pad change before the day. I believe my front pads are standard at the moment (S15 specR), and the rears have EBC Blacks.

Any recommendations for the fronts? EBC Greens were on the top of my list but I've since heard they're not that great. The ideal pad is the best compromise between road and track - I don't want a track spec pad as I don't want to change pads between street and track. So nominations for the best COMPROMISE are welcomed.

ps - a mate has recommended Mintex 1166's - anyone tried these?

A

Ansch

I have Ferodos formulas on the front and they're awesome for a street/ occational track pad. Or Ferodos DS2500 if you want more performance and drive pretty hard normally.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I've got EBC Red Stuff front and back. They are an improvement on the Project Mu front and standard rears I had previously. The latest compound is a vast improvement on the previous ones. Everyone I know who has used them has been impressed. And they're quite a bit cheaper than DS2500... If going for serious track, the EBC yellows would be a better choice, but for a balance of road and track: red. Only thing I'd say is they they are quite dusty, but no more than the DS2500s.

Remember that I'm also running 315mm front discs.

D

Derek

I have Ferodos DS2500 and rate them highly. Mintex are good too. Greenstuff pads are supposed to be bad.. so i've always heard..

Reaction score
thanks Guys. It's funny how the EBC Greens have had so much bad press. I had the EBC Blacks (entry level pad) in my old car and they worked well - though I never took it to the track.

The latest EBC pad is called the YellowR. It's meant to be better than the Reds in performance yet has the initial bite of the Greens. They retail here in NZ for $376 for the fronts - damn expensive if you ask me! The Greens by comparison are $303 so not much better.

The Mintex 1166's I understand have to be retro fitted to your existing backing plates (a shelf ready option isn't available here people tell me). Dunno about you guys but the whole glue the friction material thing makes me nervous! I trust the factory process more. Time is getting close so it looks like the S15 will be fronting up with standard fronts and EBC black rears. I'll just go easy this time, and if the car won't stop going straight, flick it sideways eh!! :D

Reaction score
Nicely said:
The current Reds were the last Yellows.
Ahh. That may explain why the yellowR's rate higher than the reds on the EBC quick ref chart. I had to confirm that the yellowR is not related to the regular yellows as these would be too hardcore for the street I'd assume.

They could've come up with another colour for the yellow R's eh to avoid confusion.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
i have DS2500 in the front.
Good pads. A bit dusty though.
Running these pads with white rims wouldn't be too exciting.

Reaction score
I ran with the standard front pads and they actually took a pretty good beating! My brand new EBC Black Stuff pads desintegrated in throughout the day until they were completed fried. I had to take my pads out and grind down the wear indicators to get home. Surprising they were so crap.

Many people swear the Mintex 1166's are gold. I went for a ride in a car with standard brakes bar those pads. The thing hauled up time and time again! I'm getting some made up this week so next I'll be investigating rotors as these pads will make the rotors the consumable items!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
All I can say is that you weren't breaking late. If you were, you'd have got fade no problem on standard pads :nod:

Reaction score
Nicely said:
All I can say is that you weren't breaking late. If you were, you'd have got fade no problem on standard pads :nod:
ok, busted. I wasn't leaning on the brakes like a madman. I was actually trying to preserve them as I knew I was only running standard pads. A combo of engine braking, compression lock and brakes was the go for the day. Once I could feel the rotors warping on light pedal pressure, I gave them some rest. But still, no sign of fade. Overall, the standard pads are of a decent spec - (for factory pads anyway).

Reaction score
I-nearly-bought-a-batty said:
Nicely said:
ok, busted. I wasn't leaning on the brakes like a madman. I was actually trying to preserve them as I knew I was only running standard pads. A combo of engine braking, compression lock and brakes was the go for the day. Once I could feel the rotors warping on light pedal pressure, I gave them some rest. But still, no sign of fade. Overall, the standard pads are of a decent spec - (for factory pads anyway).
more than I can say for the EBC Blacks which expired (and being on the back - you can tell how much better the compound of the front must be)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
:nod: EBC Blacks = shite.

Don't feel disheartened by that though. Its a regular occurence for the S14 boys over here to cook their rears when they're running Reds at track days... Porterfield seem to be the only ones which have, so far, consistently survived. Ferodo have just started doing some rear DS2500s though...

Reaction score
Nicely said:
:nod: EBC Blacks = shite.

Don't feel disheartened by that though. Its a regular occurence for the S14 boys over here to cook their rears when they're running Reds at track days... Porterfield seem to be the only ones which have, so far, consistently survived. Ferodo have just started doing some rear DS2500s though...
Wow - even the Reds can't cope!

I'm now really going off EBC as a brand. I plan to fit Mintex 1166's to my fronts and perhaps 1155's to the rear. This is serious pad material and willno doubt eat my rotors. They actually custom apply the material to backing plates you provide. I've been a car having standard brakes bar these pads and they really work. i'll let you guys know how they go. Dunno if you can get them in the UK.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You aren't seriously going to get a miricle improvement from the back, regardless what pads you use, I'm afraid. If you want improvement, you really need to go the Z32 rear brake and BMC route...

Reaction score
Nicely said:
You aren't seriously going to get a miricle improvement from the back, regardless what pads you use, I'm afraid. If you want improvement, you really need to go the Z32 rear brake and BMC route...
I'll just be happy if the rears last more than a few track days after the EBC experience!

S

Speed Demo

I'm using EuroX from Endless, the compound is more leaning toward racetrack then street but i found mine to be very comfortable(no squeking nois, except for a hell lot of dust). With the rear i reccomend running a set of NA-R then your brake should balance out.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Speed Demo said:
I'm using EuroX from Endless, the compound is more leaning toward racetrack then street but i found mine to be very comfortable(no squeking nois, except for a hell lot of dust). With the rear i reccomend running a set of NA-R then your brake should balance out.
have you used NA brake pads?
Was offered to have a set of NA-P for cheap and testing purposes.
they're supposed to be pretty good.

S

Speed Demo

Yakozan said:
Speed Demo said:
have you used NA brake pads?
Was offered to have a set of NA-P for cheap and testing purposes.
they're supposed to be pretty good.

NA series brake pads is very good if you use it for street purpose only. The EuroX is basicly between the NA series and the full race spec MA series.