What's new

should I stay or should I go?

Reaction score
Ok - opinions. There's a track in NZ called Manfield. It's about a 8 hour drive one way. I need to take 2 days off work, stay overnight in a motel and drive for years to get there. Then if something goes wrong at the track, I'm stuck! The track looks pretty good, but it's a major logistical nightmare to get there.

what do you guys reckon - is it worth the journey and cost? I figure the whole outing will cost me about $600.

V

Vandal

Mate, for me it wouldn't be the cost, just the time factor. 8 hour drive one way - not my idea of a good time :no: Now if the track was the Nurburgring, or something really special, I think it would be worthwhile. Otherwise, knock yourself out on a good bit of seldom used twisty road.

P

paulphot

Yeah, I have to agree, $600 bucks is a lot for a fang on a track, how long will you be on track for, just a few laps or on and off for a weekend? In my opinion, not worth the hassle, are there any tracks closer? Surely 8 hours in NZ would get you from Invercargill to Auckland, and that's allowing for the ferry..... :D

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I wouldn't. I won't travel over 2 hours to get to a track.

I've got an entire day at Castle Combe next month for $AU400, but its only 45 minutes away. Coupled with $AU300 track insurance, that's as much as I really want to pay. :nod:

The only track I'd consider travelling that distance for would be the Nurburgring, and even then I'd be put off by the thought of how many people stack it there...

H

Hank S15

8 hours really takes the fun out of it imo.
Most I drove to a track was 5 hours, but that was for a driftweekend.

September I`m going to the Nurburgring... 2 hour drive for me :p

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
The closest track to me is 2.5 hours away, i would drive futher though :nod: I Drove about 8hours to get to Silverstone for D1, although it got a bit boring on the way home i would do it again to drive the track :nod:

I'll be driving that far for JAE, which is "only" a car show :D

:EDIT: so what i'm saying is, if you want to do it, and you have the time/cash, do it :thumbs:

Reaction score
Nicely said:
I wouldn't. I won't travel over 2 hours to get to a track.

I've got an entire day at Castle Combe next month for $AU400, but its only 45 minutes away. Coupled with $AU300 track insurance, that's as much as I really want to pay. :nod:

The only track I'd consider travelling that distance for would be the Nurburgring, and even then I'd be put off by the thought of how many people stack it there...
that's the other downside in NZ for trackdays - insurance doesn't apply on the track :eek: You crash, you pay. Someone else smacks ya - you pay. It's pretty risky.

Reaction score
Hank S15 said:
8 hours really takes the fun out of it imo.
Most I drove to a track was 5 hours, but that was for a driftweekend.

September I`m going to the Nurburgring... 2 hour drive for me :p
Nurburgring - now that would be worth a 10 hour drive!

ps - tell us your times eh :thumbs: I'll then try to match them on my GT4 spec S15 (I've modelled it on my car - specs, settings etc :D )

Reaction score
Vandal said:
Mate, for me it wouldn't be the cost, just the time factor. 8 hour drive one way - not my idea of a good time :no: Now if the track was the Nurburgring, or something really special, I think it would be worthwhile. Otherwise, knock yourself out on a good bit of seldom used twisty road.
knowing my luck, it'll be where a cop is eating a box a donuts :D

Reaction score
Ok, I went, I drove, I had a hell of a good time.

Cooked my brand new rear pads to the metal, but apart from that - good old Nissan reliability prevailed. More than I can say for my mates Dihatsu Charade Turbo - which limped home unable to rev past 2.5K.

It poured the night before so I thought it would be a swimming contest, but luckily the weather fined up. This track was fantastic. The Silvia blitzed everything on the track during my sessions. Spectators claim it was spitting out massive flames :D

Track racing is dodgy as considering there is no insurance cover, but nothing beats driving the car as it was intended. Especially when you have the right mods. Everything just comes together :cool:

Also, I was restrained enough to ensure the Sil made it back in one piece - unscathed.

In all, well worth the 7.5 hour drive each way. I'll do it again - that's for sure.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
:thumbs:

Trackdays are alot of fun.

Do you have an oiltemp gauge? I get problems with high oiltemp after a while.

Oh, and by the way..... :ttiwwp:

Reaction score
Topper said:
SOunds good mate :thumbs:

Although i would of had me some insurance cover :nod:
yeah, no insurance on the track is risky, especially when you have an expensive car. But no one will insure you on the track - so it's just a risk you have to take. I give way to others when I'm shoulder to shoulder with them, then I just blast them on the straights. Safe and gets the same result in the end - I pass. :D

Reaction score
Yakozan said:
:thumbs:

Trackdays are alot of fun.

Do you have an oiltemp gauge? I get problems with high oiltemp after a while.

Oh, and by the way..... :ttiwwp:
People took photos of my car but heck knows which sites they're on.

Oil temp - yup - mine peaked at 110C on the day. Castrol FormulaR fully syn. 5-60W from memory.