What's new

Tail gaters!

Reaction score
Ok guys - I don't know about you all - but the one thing that I can't tolerate on the roads are people who sit right up your ar$e. :rant: Sure, we have the ability to avoid other's stupid mistakes on the roads, but if the numb skull behind you ploughs into you once you take evasive action, it kinda defeats the purpose.

What do you do? Some people like to stand on the brakes (although this can cause exactly what you're trying to avoid), others slow to a crawl etc. I typically give them a chance to drop back, but if they don't, I flash my hazards. This works most of the time, but some people either don't get it, or take it as an invitiation to p1ss you off further. :mad:

Effectively they're putting your life in danger every time they do it. When it's a truck or 4X4, it's even worse as they'll drive right over you. I'm trying to chill and wait for them to turn off - but it's hard to tolerate eh. :mad:

Sure, you can pull aside and let them pass, however, you'd never get anywhere if you had to do that all the time. And it's not like I'm crawling in the fast lane either, (I do 10 over the limit consistently - just under the ticket threshold).

How do you guys deal with it. I'm at the stage where I dread driving as I know someone is going to wind me up :mad:

ps - I'm trying to leave the "smack them in the head" option alone - although I hate to say it may the only thing some people understand. I for one can do without an assault charge.

Reaction score
i do the "slow right down" trick..... tends to work round here!

although a couple times i've come to a complete stop before they get the idea.... it bugs me mainly because, they're gonna get no where any quicker for doing so, they're what, 10FT further up the road than they need to be. when they get to their location, they could need to park 10FT further away... so that walkin' distance would take more time than to just sit back and drive sensibly!

i've got a couple mates that do it, one use to be terrible.... i shout at him every time! it the only 1 thing that makes me feel uncomfortable in a car! i don't mind speed, or testing handling etc.... but tail gating bugs me, esp when you can see the car infront braking and start thinkin' "are we gonna be able to stop???"!!!

GRRRR i'm with you on this one! maybe next time i'm in the car with my mate... i'll just slap him round the head! lol

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yeah, I tend to slow down most times too. Besides, in the UK there's a good chance it the police trying to get you to go faster so they can nick you... :rolleyes:

Top two motorist's hates in the UK are middle-laners and no signalling.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I too share your hate, and prefer the slowing down option, although i used to just rest my left foot on the brake just enough to have the brake lights come on but not slow me down, thats seems to work too :nod:

I hate it when you have someone so close behind you and something happens in front of you, i have seen me brake hard to stop, notice the guy behind is struggling to slow enough so i have to lift off a little to allow for his braking but maintaining enough force to miss the car infront :rolleyes: I shouldnt have to do this, but have several times....

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
me too me too hate the drivers on the motorway which drive BMW and merc which think they have an expensive car and think the should go first...all i do is brake and make them slow down then they start swearing at me hehe :D

Reaction score
Topper said:
I too share your hate, and prefer the slowing down option, although i used to just rest my left foot on the brake just enough to have the brake lights come on but not slow me down, thats seems to work too :nod:

I hate it when you have someone so close behind you and something happens in front of you, i have seen me brake hard to stop, notice the guy behind is struggling to slow enough so i have to lift off a little to allow for his braking but maintaining enough force to miss the car infront :rolleyes: I shouldnt have to do this, but have several times....
I know what you mean - It's as if we have to drive not only for ourselves but for others as well! Once I give them the hazards, if they don't back off - I either increase my distance in front (to account for more gradual braking) or if possible let them pass. Still, letting them pass will only condone their behavior and encourage them to bully other motorists. Sometimes, the fast lane is clear and they still sit on your bumper :mad: I think it boils down to ignorance - some people just don't understand the danger and the consequences. Unfortunate.

I do have a confession - my otherwise calm and sensible road manners went south the other Friday. This guy was tail gating me, so I gave him the hazards. No reaction. I don't usually do this - but I tapped the brakes. The guy, then starts flashing his light etc like I just screwed up. So, I gave him the one finger salute (very out of character). He then comes flying up my bumper again - really really close. I slow down to 40k's then plant it and create a big gap. He then gasses it also. Now it's on. I pull to the side, he overtakes - then I fly up his bumper. He jams the brakes - I laugh. He then switches lanes (I lock on touge style). I follow him closely for a few seconds then drop back as I'm otherwise just a crap as they are. I mirror his lane changes and follow. I can tell he's now pissing himself that I'm gonna smack him. I then continue on my way. I have to admit, it felt better than stewing in my own juices but it's not a habit I want to get into. There are a lot of crazies out there and in the end, it's just not worth it. you could get attacked or killed.

Still - it drives me mad. They test my patience no end. Once in a while, you can deal with. But nowadays, I find it happens 2-3 times per trip. The funnny thing is, in my Silvia - people tend to give me more room (most of my hassles are when I'm driving my anonymous compnay car). Especially when it chucks out a flame or two - watch them drop back then!

V

Vandal

The flipside of this are people who sit in the right hand lane of a freeway doing 95-100km/hr in 100 zones :mad: . It is hard not to tailgate these people, but resist the urge for fear of the brake tap/rogue psycho with machete. I generally deal with these people by passing them on the inside and pulling in front close enough to get their attention. Childish, but satisfying :nod:

Reaction score
...yes, road hogs is a whole other topic. However, they don't annoy me nearly as much as the tail gaters :nod: Except when they go slow, causing me to go slow, causing the one behind me to ride my bumper :mad:

ps - don't you love the moving block? - when someone pulls into the fast lane and then travels at the same speed as the slow lane creating a moving block. They come from the same family as those that speed up in the slow lane to avoid others overtaking (when an overtake lane comes up on a rural road), then slow back down to 80k's once the overtake lane finishes :confused: Now, in the Silvia - that's not a problem as they can't keep up with it. But in my Ford - that's a problem because it only has 3 kw at the wheels :D

ah screw it - I'm gonna start taking the bus :cry:

...then I'll be complaining about all the wierdos on the bus. :D

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
On my old car I wired my brake lights to an additional switch on the dash so I can activate the brake lights without actually touching the brakes... amazing how they instantly brake every time you do it.... :)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I-nearly-bought-a-batty said:
..........(I lock on touge style).....
:D :clap: Made me laugh that did :thumbs:

But i agreed with everything you have said, and mostly about being in your Ford, i too have a Ford company car and its only in that that i get hassle and into "Road Rage" with other drivers, they dont come near in the Silvia :no:

Reaction score
Country
why dont you guys fit a flame spitter onto your exhausts,

who would not back off if they saw flames from the back of your car.

if they dont see it im sure they car smell there car burning ;)

J

Jono

Topper said:
Just fit an Atmos Bov :thumbs:
Amen to that brother! :thumbs:

Look, as previously stated, the only solution to this problem is this little baby...

Reaction score
I have a Trust BOV venting to atmophere - it's loud but only scares those in front and beside you - not behind unfortunately. My Sil does throw flames - but not always on command. Try this though... after driving around normally, give it a burst, then back off - then tap the gas again briefly. That's usually enough to heat up the exhaust and cook some unburnt fuel - toasty!

As for the flame throwers - the only guy who can get away with that is Adam West.

Reaction score
elizium said:
On my old car I wired my brake lights to an additional switch on the dash so I can activate the brake lights without actually touching the brakes... amazing how they instantly brake every time you do it.... :)
Hey, you must have had real problems with tail gaters to go to that extreme! The only problem I can see with that is that once they've seen you throw a few false alarms, when you do finally need to slow down, they may just keep driving :eek:

Y

yewei

i'd usually let the brake lights go on for a while without actually slowing down. never fails! :nod: other times i jus wish i had a flame thrower. i've seen how useful it can be at times :D had a fren who was in the high way once, n this rx-8 came up closed behind him, thinking the rx-8 could outrun my fren anytime cos its jus a wagon? such a bully! wat the rx-8 driver din know was tat under the hood of my fren's car? was a rb26dett lol :notworthy: instead of doing the usuals, my fren spitted out flames 2-3 feet long, the rx-8 jus backed off, slamming on his brakes lol n judging from the speed he is at now, i'm guessing his mind must be left in a state of comma :ghey:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
yewei said:
i'd usually let the brake lights go on for a while without actually slowing down. never fails! :nod: other times i jus wish i had a flame thrower. i've seen how useful it can be at times :D had a fren who was in the high way once, n this rx-8 came up closed behind him, thinking the rx-8 could outrun my fren anytime cos its jus a wagon? such a bully! wat the rx-8 driver din know was tat under the hood of my fren's car? was a rb26dett lol :notworthy: instead of doing the usuals, my fren spitted out flames 2-3 feet long, the rx-8 jus backed off, slamming on his brakes lol n judging from the speed he is at now, i'm guessing his mind must be left in a state of comma :ghey:
Stagea Autech 260RS? :)