What's new

anyone had issues with S15 HID in relation to their highbeam

S

S1Five

hello there

just wondering has anyone here who has an S15 with HID setup for low beam and when you switch the high beam on a few times, it kills the HID (as in fries the ballast)

because this is the second time i needed to use my high beam several times and then my LHS HID would just go off (which i think the ballast is dead yet again)

- i think when i turn my high beam on, it causes too much fluctuation in the power source therefore my ballast cant handle this change in voltage and it fries itself?

any electrician guru can help me clarify this and if theres any possible solution?

thx

Reaction score
i'm not certain on this, but i believe this does happen alot...

someone on SXOC sells a "box" that prevents this from happening! it's either got relays or resistors in!

not much help i know, but, i'm certain someone will come along and fill in the specifics!

in an answer though, yes it happens!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The problem can occur on aftermarket HIDs. Basically, when you flick from low to high beam, the low beam bulbs are switched off and the high beams on. With halogen bulbs this is fine. With HIDs, the last thing you want is constant re-ignition of the bulbs, as it kills them. You will also get a brief moment when flicking from high to low beam where the bulbs have to reignite. thiis often appears as though a have a moment of no light! :eek:

As mentioned, 'Cookie' on the SXOC makes a relay kit with uprated loom which not only protects your lighting loom, but also keeps the HIDs on when flicking to high beam. It also has a 'flash' protection. This stops the HIDs being ignited if you flash your headlights by pulling back the stalk. Only the high beams flash.

The problem shouldn't happen with factory fitted HIDs as they should be setup like this to start with.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
The problem can occur on aftermarket HIDs. Basically, when you flick from low to high beam, the low beam bulbs are switched off and the high beams on. With halogen bulbs this is fine. With HIDs, the last thing you want is constant re-ignition of the bulbs, as it kills them. You will also get a brief moment when flicking from high to low beam where the bulbs have to reignite. thiis often appears as though a have a moment of no light! :eek:

As mentioned, 'Cookie' on the SXOC makes a relay kit with uprated loom which not only protects your lighting loom, but also keeps the HIDs on when flicking to high beam. It also has a 'flash' protection. This stops the HIDs being ignited if you flash your headlights by pulling back the stalk. Only the high beams flash.

The problem shouldn't happen with factory fitted HIDs as they should be setup like this to start with.
The factory fitted ones doesn't shut down the HID when flicking the high beam.
BUT the high beam activates the low beam. So if you're driving with no low beam (during a sunny day for example) and flash someone with the high beam. You will flash with the HID too and the same problem should accur.

I won't have this problems because Swedish regulations says that the low beam must be on at all time while driving :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yakozan said:
I won't have this problems because Swedish regulations says that the low beam must be on at all time while driving :thumbs:
:ghey: Volvo and SAAB huggers, the lot of you... :p

S

S1Five

when you turn on high beam and it shuts off the low beam...

well the other night when i had my high beams on i could still see my HID on

did u mean at the moment you turn on the high beam it shuts off the low beam briefly?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Have you got factory fit HIDs or aftermarket? And, sorry, yes that's more what I meant. I've always been totally unclear as to how the circuit controls the high/low beams. What is certain is that flicking from high to low does cause a momentary power cut/switch to the lows. With HID bulbs, this causes a very brief moment where the bulbs have to reignite. It has been know for them NOT to reignite on occaision. Rather :eek: at night...

Reaction score
not certain, but pretty sure the HID's fitted to my S15 are factory.... but... it's something i'll certainly be checking, and if need be, purchasing the cookie kit!!!

for the price of ?30ish delivered, it's alot cheaper than replacing HID kits!

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Dazz0i said:
not certain, but pretty sure the HID's fitted to my S15 are factory.... but... it's something i'll certainly be checking, and if need be, purchasing the cookie kit!!!

for the price of ?30ish delivered, it's alot cheaper than replacing HID kits!
You won't have problems with the OEM HID unless flashing your high beam alot when you're lights are off. :nod: :thumbs:

Reaction score
yea, exactly.... just i'm not certain they're factory...i'll check when it's delivered!

as for flashing people... nah... i'm an ignorant driver, don't flash anyone out! lol

and with it being the only S15 in my town..... people are just gonna get a wave rather than flash! :)

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
bring it over once u got it i help u check things out as ive had mine for some while now and kinda know what is what...anf iam looking forward to take our cars to have some nice pics taken together hehe even tho urs looks better :cry: .....

S

S1Five

any electrician gurus here who can explain exactly wot the relay kit on the cookie site does? (in idiot language =) )

as i cant stand seeing yellow lights but money factor atm .. :cry:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You need a HID kit.

Been trying to think of a simple way to describe how it works. Primarily, it routes the power to the HIDs directly from the battery via uprated cabling. This stops the initial high current used to ignite the bulbs from passing through the original lighting loom. This current is enough to weaken other components over time.

Additionally, it takes its trigger to ignite from the sidelights rather than than headlights. This stops the bulbs from going out when there is a momentary blip in power when flicking between high and low beam. It also ensures they stay on when flicking to main beam. Finally, it makes sure the HIDs don't ignite when 'flashing' headlights during the day.

The relays control how it all works.

S

S1Five

i know this is a old thread BUT new kind of topic in relation to this

Wot brand HID's do you guys use? if so wot brand and K rating ? and could i get a pic :wave:

reason being recently i purchased new ones off a friend who was importing MTEC ones but once i installed em i noticed they werent bright at all, he told me that these were the 35watt ones instead of the 55watt which i had before. my old ones were 8000K, and these new ones i got are 6000k but im pretty sure they are much dimmer in terms of 'brightness' compared to my old ones

and so far i havent had any issue with these new HIDs but they are just not bright enough.

so i think my previous problem was in relation to maybe having a cheap branded ballast

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Are you taking into account the difference in headlight units. The S14a/S15 projector type headlights are notoriously crap at putting light on the road. If you think they are dim with HIDs, you should put halogens in for a week!!

They is no way on earth that 6000K are dimmer than 8000K.

All HIDs will look bright. However, it the CLARITY of the light which is important. The clearest light you can get is noon day sunlight. So the closer you get to it, the better. 5000k bulbs are by far the clearest. After that 6000k, then 8000k. 8000k may look a cool shade of blue, but that doesn't really mean alot when you can't see. 8000k is further away from noon day sun equivalent than halogen...