What's new

WTB: defi sandwich plate

Reaction score
Hi guys ive just recently bought

defi black face oil temp guage
defi black face water temp guage
defi black face boost guage
and the defi control box

But i dont seem to have any wiring for the controller to be wired to the ecu?
Also what sensors do i need for these?
And also need the sandwich plate?

I know they arent called black face guages but think they may be called bf? Please help us out here guys on where i can get these parts from!

subzero

Reaction score
bad news for ya .... the sensors are very pricey,

anyways firstly youll need a control box ( theres no hooking up to the ECU) like this one ...

subzero

Reaction score
this should help too

you can get all the bits you need from rhdjapan.com

the oil pres and oil temp are tapped into a block that is put between your oil filer and engine block. greddy oil relocation kits / greddy oil rel and oil kits have them buillt in.

i bought the relo kit, jsut to have the oil filter nice and handy up high and tapped my sensors into that then.

subzero

Reaction score
you sensors come back then to the control box like so ...

and then there is one lead that goes from the control box to your first gauge, then another shorter wire from gauge 1 to gauge 2 , and another from G2 to G3 .

prob confused the hell out of ya :D

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yep I think I explained on someone else's thread recently lol :wack:

Sub's got it pretty spot on... the way Defi's and pretty much all other aftermarket gauge systems work is not to use ECU outputs so there's no wiring into ECU etc. Defi will supply the water and oil temp sender units which is basically a sensor that reads the temps and sends an electrical signal to your Link control unit (which I presume you have purchased). Here's a pic of the Defi oil/water temp sender:

In order to read the oil temp you gotta buy a sandwich plate which will allow the above oil sender to screw into one of the ports on the sandwich plate. Here's the important bit - I can never remember what Defi use but when you buy these sender/sensor units the taper can be two different sizes NPT or BSPT. I'm pretty sure all Defi's will be NPT. When you buy the sandwich plate you MUST ensure it takes the correct port taper size that matches the Defi sender otherwise it won't fit as one is bigger than the other! So I'm almost certain I've got 1/8 NPT senders combined with sandwich plate that takes 1/8 NPT sized ports.

Have a word with Driftworks as I bought my sandwich plate from them (branded 'Alfit'). Here's a pic of an Alfit sandwhich plate which can take both oil temp as well as oil pressure senders:

So you need to remove your filter from the block and then put this sandwhich plate onto it with the oil temp sender already screwed tight and attached. Another tip here is to ensure you put some PTFE thread tape around the thread of the oil sender before you start screwing this into the sandwich plate - give you more seal and prevents small chance of oil leaking etc.

Once the sandwich plate is in place then the oil filter can go back over on top (this is all assuming you don't have relocation kit).

The as Sub says you get a harness that clips into the one on the first pic which then uses a longer wire which has to fed through firewall and then clips into the back of the Control Unit (each socket input is clearly marked so would be OIL TEMP) :)

The same setup is also applied to the water temp sender - you have to buy this from Defi (use RHDJapan as recommended or speak to Dan @ SRB Power who can sort you out as well)... but instead of a sandwich plate, the Defi water sender will thread into a water temp adaptor like so:

Again Dan @ SRB Power sorted me out easy - you need a 32mm ID (Internal Diameter) inline adaptor since this will fit on the top rad hose which is obviously sized 32mm ID. From the pic above you need to make a cutting in your top rad hose and then fit the above adaptor in between. Jubilee clips are supplied to the hose is nice and tight when put back together. The Defi water temp sendor like the oil temp sendor for the sandwich plate will thread into the hole at the top of the adaptor in the pic. Again use PTFE tape on the threads. Again check whether Defi uses 1/8 NPT and make sure the inline adaptor is of same port fitment 1/8 NPT etc.

Once fitted again a longer wire with harness will plug into the sendor wire and then this is fed through firewall into back of Control Unit marked WATER TEMP.

For the rest of the install, the diagram Sub supplied says it all. Use OUTPUT 1 on the back of the Control Unit to feed say the oil temp gauge. Then use a short wire supplied to 'daisy chain' to the water temp gauge the finally you can daisy chain to the boost gauge so all three gauges are connected :thumbs:

The boost sender is another setup and there's many posts in the forum to explain... that is all from me haha :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
i too am having trouble finding a defi sandwihc plate. i dont suppose a lovely member on here knows the dimensions of said sandwich plate as i cant imagine its hard to fabricate one, especially in my line of work :)

pm me or add to the thread pleeeeaase

much appreciated