What's new

Diff question

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
Guys, very quick question - is there an easy way to check what type of diff I have on the car. According to the tomei site it could be open, helical or viscous for a 99 Spec S JDM SR20DE A/T S15...

I need to give my supplier the info so he can send me the right LSD.. :) I just want to do it quick and easy as I don't have an easy way to start taking things apart right now :)

Ta!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
It should be Viscous.

Jack the car up under the diff, so both wheels are off the ground. Rotate one wheel. If the other turns the same way, its Viscous. If the other turns the OPPOSITE direction - its Helical (open).

On JDMs

Spec S & Spec R AT = Viscous
Spec R MT & Autech = Helical

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
Nicely,

thanks for that - I checked in FAST and it seems to suggest Viscous as does the service manual (kind of!!).. At least that'll get another part ordered on my way to having a fast and fun Spec S :)

I got a message today from my engine builder - seems the pistons are installed and we won't be waiting too much longer!!

Chris

Just need to try and jack the car up today - but wife is in the maternity house about to drop the sprog at any minute - so probably not a good idea to start messing with the car..