What's new

SR20DE Throttle bodies

T

Tom

Guys (and Gals :) )

i'm looking to put throttles bodies on my spec s. jenvey do a set but could not supply any information about the best cams, injectors or exhaust manifold tuning lenghts to get the best from such a set up. i have also been investigating TODAs website, who produce race tuned sr20de engines, but state quite strongly that these are race tuned and not for street use.
having a powerful NA engine does not bother me, but having an unreliable one does.

has anyone ever seen any road going sr20de's with throttle bodies or know were i can get some advice?

thanks for the help guys

tom.

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
Do you mean this type of TB?

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/images/sr20det_quad_throttles.gif

Currently I'm running without throttle bodies but with 260/12mm Tomei Cams on my NA engine and Trust headers and a few other bits...

I thought about going with quad throttle bodies a while back but couldn't justify the cost to myself (or more importantly to my missus!!)

T

Tom

elizium said:
Do you mean this type of TB?

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/images/sr20det_quad_throttles.gif

Currently I'm running without throttle bodies but with 260/12mm Tomei Cams on my NA engine and Trust headers and a few other bits...

I thought about going with quad throttle bodies a while back but couldn't justify the cost to myself (or more importantly to my missus!!)
i hadn't seen those throttle bodies before but i know jenvey in the uk do a set for about ?950. but if i was to perform such an operation i'd like to do it all at once. have you found much an improvement in performance with the cams and headers?
and hows is the cars mpg as at the moment i'm getting 42 mpg thats on an average over 3 full tanks.

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
To be honest I wasn't overly happy with the performance initially after the installation, the trade off of low end power was a bit too much, especially with my car being an auto and not giving me the opportunity to play as much in the power band.

Recently, however, I played around with the timing and am actually very very happy with the car - low end is markedly better than stock and when it 'gets on the cam' as my american friends would say - then you can really feel a difference.

As far as mpg is concerned... I have absolutely no idea :p I put petrol in and when it's nearly empty I fill up again. It is hard to be realistic on consumption here in moscow because of the traffic conditions and the quality of the roads - as well as the poor (I mean variable) quality of the petrol. My opinion is that it is a bit on the thirsty side but I know it is running very rich at idle (which is where it spends a lot of time).. This is something I'll be paying attention to this weekend and doing a bit of fine tuning on the fuel map.

If I was staying NA as opposed to going the forced induction route, then I'd probably give some consideration to the TBs as the next logical step... unfortunately having had a couple of very fast turbo cars in the past I felt the need to go to the dark side :) :) I may put the old NA engine into something else though as another project - I think it would be fun to see an old LADA twisting under the power :) :)