What's new

Midmount Intercooler Setup

M

mongoose

Hi all,

Does anyone here have any experience with mounting the intercooler inside the engine bay? In particular S15ers from Australia? There is an Australian kit made by Predator Motorsports that places the IC between the A/C and the radiator.

This setup allows for really short piping, I'm just wondering whether heat soaking is going to be a problem with the radiator being so close to the intercooler. I read of a similar "RS2-Spec" kit by HKS, but this was limited edition and all sold out by now...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Surely the benefit from the shorter pipes would be offset by the restricted flow? Unless you removed the air con...

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
My initial questions - which may be completely inappropriate but I don't care :p

1. How does the radiator compare in terms of cooling efficiency. Is it going to be up to the job of providing cooling?

2. is it a good idea to have the intercooler so close to the radiator? The combined thickness of the radiator and intercooler may impact airflow and cooling? Would there be heat transfer from radiator to the intercooler thus reducing intercooler efficiency?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
From what i have read on this setup its mean to improve cooling no end......... think it was maybe SXOC i read it :)

Looks good, bit worried about the size of the rad though, could it not be the same size as the intercooler?

M

mongoose

Nicely said:
Surely the benefit from the shorter pipes would be offset by the restricted flow? Unless you removed the air con...
I had a friend's opinion that if A/C, intercooler and radiator would be stacked up one after another, then no matter what the order (even if intercooler is out in front), the flow through each of them will be governed by the most restrictive item... ??

S

S15R

a friend of mine recently installed V mount cooler
he said that the engine reponse increased

S

S15R

V mount is good for race car

daily driven hmm dont do it... weaken the chassis

P

paulphot

You could always fit a water spray kit, you could even get it to spray front of cooler and back of radiator, that would surely offset any heat soak.

S

S15R

haha i was thinking of using the jap spec washer bottle and connect the water line for rear windscreen for IC spray :D

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
How about using the rear washer pipe to spray the IC with, S15R you suggested this before, i think its a good idea, but how would the anti-freeze effect the IC?? Would make it a nice colour of blue/green :thumbs: :p

M

mongoose

Topper said:
Which is the most restictive??
I think this depends on core thickness.. I mean the a/c's fins don't appear to be that open but it's really quite a thin core at the same time, and say a really thick 100 mm intercooler core will also definitely be restrictive unless you are always driving max out

about the radiator: the size seems to be a compromise in this sort of setup, even if you had intercooler inlet and outlet to the sides, the endtanks would also be in the way of flow..