What's new

MPG

J

Jono

What's yours on average?

I've been monitoring mine over two tanks of 97ron. Very sadly, ?110 had delivered just 500 miles :eek: :( That's 20-mpg

Is this normal? I do a 10 mile run to work each morning and back in the evening. I occasionally take it out at lunchtime too but only 10 miles round max. Is it just the relatively short runs making it so un-economical?

I don't push it from cold at all (keep it under 4k-rpm) and in reality, I'm not booting it too much when warm either as there's usually some bugger getting in my way!

I'm going to reset the ECU this weekend and see what effect that has.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
i've got 420km from 37L when the car was in stock condition (except exhaust).
That was only highway miles though with some occasional 200km/h overtakes :D

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Hmm. Running standard and with decent journeys, you should be getting over 30. I average about 25mpg running 277rwbhp.

Reset the ECU first. Next, check for boost leaks. The most likely candidate for a leak is the WMIC (wing mounted intercooler) pipework. IThe pipes are ally and crack very easily. You need to remove the LH arch liner (front part) to access it. Check all around the IC end of the pipes for cracks. They are usually, but not always, fairly obvious. If you can't see anything, try detergent over the pipes, go for a quick boost inducing drive and check for bubbles.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Motorway driving on a near stock car i got 28mpg

Now, i get about 15 ish :p , i have just reset the ECU but not much improvment :no:, and that not pushing it on either :no:

There is alot of black resedue on the outlet of my Bov, could this be the problem?? although it set so it dont stall when stopping

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
It sounds as though you've both got problems. You shouldn't be returning under 20mpg unless you're really caning it. Like it said, with my spec and with the fuelling sorted, I'm averaging 25mpg. 277rwbhp is about 326bhp at the fly...

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
iam always doing short jorneys to and from place and if any of u know milton keynes roundabout city stop start one tank can some times get me 180mlies but i do have a heavy foot a bit hehe normally probely get over 200 but motorway i can get a good 300+

J

Jono

sushiming said:
iam always doing short jorneys to and from place and if any of u know milton keynes roundabout city stop start one tank can some times get me 180mlies but i do have a heavy foot a bit hehe normally probely get over 200 but motorway i can get a good 300+
That's interesting - and yes I know Milton Keynes :mad:

Mine works out at 250 out of a tank doing what sounds like similar trips, and like you, I know it's better that that on the motorway. I did Torque imports to Banbury on a half a tank. That's 175 miles! :)

I dunno - maybe it's just my right foot.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Guys, this hasn't been mentioned on here, so I will now. Can we please stop talking in the rather inprecise measurement of 'x miles per tank'. This can vary by up to 50 miles+ depending on when you refill. To monitor fuel consumption, everyone needs to talk in miles/gallon or litres/100km.

Fill your tank full and reset your tripmeter.
Drive.
When empty, refill full and get a receipt (one with the quantity of litres).
Make a note of the reading on the tripmeter and then reset it.
Take the litres figure on your receipt and divide it by 4.545. This will give you the gallons figure.
Tripmeter mileage divided by gallons = miles per gallon

Obviously a similar calculation can be made for litres/ 100km.
Litres divided by (km divided by 100) = litres/100km.

J

Jono

In fairness, that's the equation I ran for my original post in the thread :nod:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I know, mate. It just that the x miles per tank measurement has been mentioned in the past and had made it into this thread too. :)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Well i drove to Knockhill and back on Saturday as my car was on a stand at the Knockhill Motor fair. Anyway, i managed to get 27mpg :thumbs: 6th gear around 80 ish cruising all the way.

Nicely, when i said 15 i was being sarcastic, i dont know what i get as i dont normally check it, but i'm happy with the mpg i get on runs so thats all that matters :thumbs:

D

Derek

Over weekend i did 600km round trip. I put in ?60 @1.17 per litre. Thats roughly 70 litres right. Divide that by 4.545 and i get 15. Then if i did 450km .. 450 /15 = 30 mpg..

Am i right?

J

Jono

There is that to consider, yes! :p although my tank feels fecking bottomless!

Jez

Trader
Reaction score
Website
www.h-dev.co.uk
Derek said:
Over weekend i did 600km round trip. I put in €60 @1.17 per litre. Thats roughly 70 litres right. Divide that by 4.545 and i get 15. Then if i did 450km .. 450 /15 = 30 mpg..

Am i right?
Erm, no. 60 Euros at 1.17 a litre is 51 litres...
So 51 litres = 51/4.545 = 11.2 gallons
450km = 450/8*5 = 281 miles
So thats 281/11.2 = 25mpg

D

Derek

Thanks for that jez.. 25mpg still happy at that cos i was hitting limiter all the way.. It was very early in morning and roads were quiet and i was giving the car its first good driving.. Once i get her mapped she should come bit better plus i won't drive it hard hard again..

P

Paul-S15R

I got 260miles out of my first full tank. And that included ALOT of boost. Well happy with that, i could only manage 240 with my Civic Type R... and that was 50litres too.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
That's pretty crap actually. I return around 300-320 on a tank. You can't really measure on 'a tank'. You need to fill to the top, reset the trip meter, then when you refill, make a note how many litres it takes to fill it again and how many miles its done. Then reset the trip meter again.

Litres divided by 4.545 to get Gallons
Miles divided by gallons used to get miles/gallon

If you used 10.5 gallons (48 litres), that's about 25 miles/gallon. I get that from 280rwbhp (330 @ fly) and running 1.2 bar of boost consistently...