What's new

Apex FMIC

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
hey guys I know some of u guys still dont have a FMIC so I was wondering is anyone intrested in geting one
I myself am looking at geting a Apex one as nicely says it seems to have good fitment
so was wondering if any of u guys will want one cuz iam planing to see if bren from apex will do us a good deal if a few of us buy at the same time...how does that sound? it might not happen but its worth a try

M

Meddy

Dont be tight spend another ?150 and get a Greddy one. :nod:

M

Meddy

sushiming said:
is that the one u have?
how is the fitment?
It goes straight on bar the trimming you have to do to the front members of the car and the hole in the battery tray. (I have a decent hole cutter you can borrow if you need it.)

It also comes with the battery lead extension wires, so you can simply buy the micra battery from Halfords/Varta and not mess about with race batteries or moving it to the boot.

I got mine 2nd hand but if I had to buy another I would, the battery leads alone are worth the extra expense for the hassle they save in my opinion. The Greddy cooler is only ?500 so not what I'd call expensive.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Don't know the last time you checked Apex's price, but the one I got is ?330. An Alto/Justy battery and an extension will cost you about ?45.

The Apex kit is based on the HKS kit (very heavily) and fits the S15 better than the S14. Needs the same mods as Meddy mentioned.

D

Derek

I've had someone over here trying to sell me a hpi kit.

Is there differences between all the makes of front mount yu can get and are they all the same really.. Just brand names?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Some big differences (piping routes), some small. The most important thing is to try to keep the piping to the cooler as direct as possible and a good core size. Bear in mind that a huge cooler isn't always better. If any of the cooling surface sits behind the bumper, its effectively redundant.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
There is also two types of intercooler cores.
The cheaper FMIC kits usually have "bar and plate" type cores while the more expensive ones HKS, Greddy and so on, use a "tube and fin" type.

The bar and plate is cheaper to produce and cools the air better, but at the cost of reduced airfow.

Tube and fin doesn't cool as good as the bar and plate, but well enough, And it has much better airflow.

:)

D

dns15

bar n plate is also stronger against stone chips so if ur driving alot on country road u might wanna consider this
the trust and hks tube n fins r somewhat not-so-strong and ezly bent their fins if u hit the country side alot ..
but at the cost of much heavier weight then the tube and fins
i personally would go for the apexi bar n plate
but then again i doubt ull feel the difference of how they perform if u only running a mild mod