What's new

Rip s15

Reaction score
Week after Christmas 2008 on Ashinoko Skyline road, Hakone:

I never got around to posting in the project section and now it is too late.
My 18 months of Silvia ownership came to an end at 7:30am on 23rd October 2009.

I accelerated out of a bend as I planned to overtake the car in front and the back end came out. I fought the car and eventually got it pointing in the right direction but with 2 wheels on the grass. It then started to spin and went backwards onto a grass verge on the other side of the road. At that point the right rear wheel dug into the grass and after rolling once or twice through the air it landed on it's roof and slid to a halt. I popped the belt release and crawled out the car with nothing but a cut to my hand, a few grazes and a headache.

Where I was seated during the action:

The left side of the vehicle. Note the Left rear is pretty crumpled!

My wife and I are pretty happy I'm still alive!

I've a couple of bits that I never got around to fitting to the car, look out for them in the For Sale section once I pull my finger out. Off the top of my head they are:
  • NISTune for fitting to ECU part no. 95F01
  • Padded leather centre arm rest
  • Nissan single DIN cubby hole - 68475 35F00
  • Original Sylvia double DIN Radio with CD and MiniDisc
  • Ashtray/bin
I'm sure you'll all be happy to know that when Nissan built the S15 they built it strong, otherwise I wouldn't be typing this now.

Last edited:

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
holly crap man! :( glad your both ok, bet your gutted about the S15, but happy to still be in one piece..

Reaction score
Country
Jeez that looks nasty! :( Lucky to come out of that with only a few cuts! Think youll be getting another 15?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Holy s***! You are a lucky man. Sorry to see this though :(

Reaction score
Yes, I am a very lucky guy. The doctor was very surprised I hadn't hurt my neck or back.
Unfortunately the insurance on another S15 will be too high and I need something a little more ecconomical so I've got a Seat Ibiza TDi. However I will always have happy memories of driving it in Japan and going to LeMans in it this year.
Also I've still got Japanese motor as my second car - 1987 Toyota Levin.

Reaction score
Sad to see another S15 lost,glad you came out unscathed. Its a good indication of how well Nissan provide a safety cell for the driver/passenger, with crumple zones outside

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
WOW :eek:, crumple zones working to full effect, sorry to see this mate, but glad you got out ok :thumbs:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
jesus mate, glad you and the missus are ok but man you really did test the s15 to destruction :wack: still, all said its a piece of metal and can be replaced....

Reaction score
However I will always have happy memories of driving it in Japan and going to LeMans in it this year.
I went to LeMans this year in my S15... Didnt see you there :(

WOW feel sorry for your mate :( great your ok though!!

Reaction score
A testament to the s15's phenomenal body rigidity. Everything crumples up except the drivers pod. Just to share, i had a similar experience in the wet, buried myself into the divider concrete at 220kph and suffered nothing but a bruised ego.

Another mate of mine went on a top speed run on our notoriously uneven roads, hit 275 before losing control and flipped 3 times over before coming to a halt in a monsoon drain. Walked out alive. The seatbelts and seat airbags and drivers airbag cushioned everything.

Thank god youre ok, and dont worry. You'll be hitting the open road soon enough. Cheers.

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Glad to see you're both ok, it stood up surprisingly well considering but you're a very lucky man! If whatever hit the drivers side door hinge had been further back it would have been a different story! (a mate of mine lost his in similar circumstances in 2007 & a telegraph pole came right through the drivers door as far as the handbrake! He is ok but now has loads of metal pins etc in his right leg! )

Edit it was a tree, and he needed reconstructive surgery on both his knees too! It was a cold winter morning and he was in a line of traffic on a country road doing 70-80kph when he lost it (no land speed record attempts here)!

Attachments

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Bad times but as everyone says the main thing is you're ok dude!!

I think not hitting a tree or immovable object is why you've got away with very minor injuries... the stats on people not making it in road accidents and the percentage that have hit a tree makes you realise cars and trees do make good friends :wack: