What's new

ABS unit - fluid change

Reaction score
Guys, I've heard the ABS unit is sealed and thus the only way to change the brake fluid within it is to change the brake system as per normal, then go out and activiate the ABS (to release the fluid within) and then re-bleed the system. Any thoughts? I've also heard the system is open and so changing the brake fluid within the system automatically changes the ABS unit's fluid. What do you all think?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Mine were done by a brake bleeder which sucks rather then blows from the reservoir. The blow bleeders don't work with ABS apparently...

Reaction score
Ah - interesting. I simply changed my fluid using a tube fitted with a one way valve to enable one person to perform the change. So in regards to the ABS, does this mean I've performed the change incorrectly ie coud be air in the system etc, or does it simply mean there is some old fluid left in the ABS system? The fluid was pretty good to begin with so if the latter is the case - I'm not too worried. If it turns out the bleed was ineffective - then I'm worried.

ps there were no air bubbles in the system and brake feel feels similar (vs prior change), so I'm guessing the latter is the case - reassurance required!