What's new

Big Brake kit

D

Derek

My birthday is coming up and parents said they'd give me few pound rather than buying something i wouldn't want so i'm thinking of a brake conversion.

I know the M3 one is on the go. Money is very good. Discs are bit plain tho..
Apex have two others 310 or 314mm c/w ferrado disc and rear disc brake lines and oil..

I know topper has these.. Are they good?

Anyone reccemend an others? All advise taken?

Derek

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
you could look for used Skyline R34 GT-T brakes. 310mm and also for the calipers.

Or maybe Skyline GTR brakes 324mm (if R32 then it must be V-spec). These need custom brackets though.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The Apex ones are also twice the price.... The M3 Brembo conversion bolts straight on, are 315mm, directionally vented and stop so well you hit ABS if you apply too much pressure. Look plain? You could get them slotted, but i don't really think it'd alter the stopping power. The blue annodized bits look nice on the Apex brakes, but don't actually stop the car better :)

Reaction score
The pick of the GT-R brembo's for an S15 are the ones off an R33 GT-R (black brembo caliper).

The only mod you need for these is to get new bolts which are about 15-20mm longer, the rest is just straight bolt on (calipers & rotors).

If you decide to get the caliper & rotor combo from a R34 GT-R (gold brembo), you need to drill the stub/knuckle mounting holes from 12mm out to 14mm. Once the holes are drilled, everything will bolt straight up. These are the same offset as the standard S15 calipers.

If you decide to get the Z33 350Z Brembo caliper & rotor combo, you need to drill the holes out the same as the R34 GT-R setup but keep in mind that the calipers are designed to sit out a further 5mm and hence you will need to buy wheels with offsets for a 350Z Track Spec or ones with "high brake clearance".

I went with the Z33 version as I picked them up for a cheap price, and at some point will be geting wider front guards on my car to accomodate bigger/wider rubber up front :D

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Derek said:
I know topper has these.. Are they good? ..
:nod: yes they are very good, brakes are amazing now, so much so that the rear brake's are not up to the job anymore :no:

And they look great :nod:

Although, having said that, the M3 kits is an excelent buy in my eyes and i would think they are just as good as the ones i have, yet alot cheaper.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
The Apex ones are also twice the price.... The M3 Brembo conversion bolts straight on, are 315mm, directionally vented and stop so well you hit ABS if you apply too much pressure. Look plain? You could get them slotted, but i don't really think it'd alter the stopping power. The blue annodized bits look nice on the Apex brakes, but don't actually stop the car better :)
So I can actually go out and by those discs from BMW and just fit them??
No hasle or special parts to be made? Brackets for relocating calipers??

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
You will need bracket to move the caliper yes, but these are included in the kit, after that you can buy replacments direct from BMW, but you need the kits parts 1st :nod:

While were on about Brakes, make sure you Locktight all the threads :nod: I didnt and this happened: -

Luckly i was only doing aroun 30mph, , stopped, took the wheel off and noticed the bolt had came out of its hole and had started to hit the other smaller bolts, taking half there heads off. I got it free, but i had to drive 25miles with only rear brakes !

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The kit comes with two relocating brackets and grade 10 bolts (like the Apex kit). You can buy the discs off the shelf, but they need redrilling. As I can't really see me needing to replace the discs while I've still got the car, that's not much of a problem. Even if it was, I'm sure the guy doing the kits could sort replacements fairly quickly and cheaply (a lot of the cost is in the brackets and bolts).

D

Derek

I was just comparing between the apex 310 and the m3 314 brake kits.

The apex one has pads and oil and brake lines. These with the M3 kit still come in about 200 notes better..

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
That kit /\ /\ is much more expensive for replacments, should you need them :nod:

D

Derek

Right lads, I've decided to go with the M3 coversion on sxoc. The price difference is too much for basically the same thing.Once it stops that bit bettter thats all that matter. I've brake lines and Ferrodo pads order too.

Thanks for replies

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The official answer is no. There is about 2mm clearance with the standard alloys. So, I wouldn't recommend it.

D

Derek

My Brembo's arrived yesterday. I have the new disc's new brake lines, and new pads waiting to be fitted once i get my car back from bodyshop. Must just get dot 5 brake fluid too. The disc's look very impressive.

I believe Dan from sxoc is doing Drilled and Grooved 315mm disc now too .

D

Derek

Right i have the Disc's on. I wanted them on for a show at weekend so last thur nite i said i'd throw them on.. I get pics soon.. Stopping is better now there on a few days.. I still have to do front and back pads oil and Hoses..