What's new

Cold Air Feed

J

Jono

Who's put a cold air feed up to their Apexi power intake (or equivilent filter)?

Is it necessary, does it actually make a difference? :confused:

I've still got the stock air intake in place that was attatched to the filter box - this points vaguely in the direction of the Apexi - I'm not sure if this helps to keep tempratures down or not but it would seem unlikely due to its shape and size.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The standard air intake is fairly crap. I haven't been running with one since day one.

A proper piped intake would certainly help with getting cold air to the filter. However, you are going to struggle to find a route for it to take with the standard IC pipework in place.

The situation is a lot easier with an FMIC fitted. Depending on which type of FMIC, it is possible to free up one of the pipe holes through the bulhead and put a hose in from the bumper straight up under the filter. You have to be careful that the run isn't so short that rain is passed straight to the filter. Apart from it not being terrible good to go into the engine, A'PEXi filters hate water.

J

Jono

I did wonder about how it would route up to the Apexi... There's not a great deal of space! I'll have to plan the route before I start putting anything in.

Anyone else done this or got an opinion?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
No idea. But it's supposed to box out the hot air from the engine. Cold air have higher density, making the engine more efficient.

I don't think any of the mods are noticable unless measuring the intake air temp.

But box sure looks bling :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Without an additional air feed, not much. The filter sucks in most of its air from the top. This will generally be the bit of fresh from the front intake and mainly from the air in the engine bay which is nice and warm. If you have a tubular mani, its actually cooking. The main benefit of the induction box is that it isolates the filter from the engine bay, therefore suppressing a lot of the warm air. However, this means its being mainly supplied by that shite standard intake.

It could be argued quite successfully that a bottom feeding air hose would have much more benefit due to a large amount of cold air being fed directly to the cold side of the filter. In conjunction with the induction box, this would be quite good. In fact, its rather like a large air filter box... :p

Be warned though. There is a good chance that the box won't fit the S15. Its designed for the S14 and the lip of the engine bay (which the lid sits under) is different. Certainly, the Bling Products version (which is far superior to the Apex one) won't without modification.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I think the Apex box will fit.

Isn't it a copy of the Apex'i one?

The Apex'i induction box has the same part number for both the S14 and S15.

Edit: But the very best thing is as Nicely stated, to get both.
But if I only could have one. I would choose the induction box :)

J

Jono

Nicely said:
It could be argued quite successfully that a bottom feeding air hose would have much more benefit due to a large amount of cold air being fed directly to the cold side of the filter.
This what I had in mind - I think I'll give it a whirl, just for something to do! :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The difference between the two boxes is that the Apex/A'PEXi one is a 'general' fit. The elephant trunk thread through a large hole in the side of the box and is free to move. The lid probably doesn't cover right to the edge of the engine bay either (if its supposed to fit both S14 and S15). The Bling one is made to sit in between the AFM and the filter adapter. You bolt through the side of the box - no gap, no movement. As mentioned, the lid goes right to the edge of the engine bay and sits under the bay lip. That's the issue with the S15. Its also a lot cheaper than the Apex box.

Apex box

Bling box

Reaction score
if its made out of a material that is heat resistant than yes, it does make a small difference, but if you are reffering to the apexi one then no.... metal conducts heat more than anything so i suggest spending your money elsewhere.

J

Jono

I've bought a cold air feed. Having looked around the engine bay I can see what Nicely means about it being easy if the IC pipe wasn't directly in the way! But I can't afford FMIC so I'll just have to muddle something together. Pics will of course be taken and published here! :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Fit it beside the LH fog light, then feed it up behind the headlight and through hole you stick your hand through to remove the back of the lights...

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Would a better situation not be to retain the stock air box, but fit an uprated filter?? :)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Topper said:
Would a better situation not be to retain the stock air box, but fit an uprated filter?? :)
From what I've read it isn't the stock filter which is most restrictive, but the airbox itself. :wave: