What's new

The strip down

Reaction score
I actually managed to get some time to spend on the s15 (a whole day :D).

All suspension gone, tank out etc. Also, managed to get the dash out. Having not pulled one of these out before, it was a bit of a task.

Anyway, here is how it looks at the moment.

Still loads to do. Might be finished by next year :).

Reaction score
It's just dawning on me what I've done :eek:. Well I've started now, so I'll carry on. Luckily I've managed to grab some Herman Miller storage unit from our manufacturing facility before they closed down. They'll come in handy for storage.

I was stood in the garage this morning wondering where to route the roll cage at the front. I take it the upright by the door hinges is before the door. What I mean is that the ECU and fuse box can still be mounted in their standard place.

This car is going to be a daily driver and a track weapon and as such is going to be a bit of a hybrid which is actually more of a challenge to get the balance right.

A couple of decisions still to be made.

1. How hard core (or not) should the roll cage be)
2. While a bare shell, should I seam weld. I'm leaning towards not doing this, but still not sure.
3. How far to go with the engine. Not looking for huge bhp, but a very fast spool engine (around 350bhp) would be fine.

The acid dip is going to be fun. I might just have to stay and watch to get photos. Still not decided on colour.

Reaction score
Here's a couple of other pics. I'll keep more coming as I progress.

The rear :

My new storage units (these are about a grand each new :eek:).

On a side note, the acid dip removes all the sound deadening. This alone will save me days !!!!

Reaction score
Wow your very brave, I would love to do this... I'll keep an eye on this and see what its like when youve finished it and drive it every day! ;)

God going though the car looks awesome stripped!! :thumbs:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Going to be a noisy hard daily driver.

Would love to have a stripped and caged S15, as well as my current one...

Reaction score
Country
For engine id go for...

GT2871R .64
Apexi Filter
FMIC
Full aftermarket 3" turbo back exhaust including decat
Tomei Poncams
Nismo 740cc Injectors
Z32 AFM
Walbro Fuel Pump
H-Dev Recirc
Tomie Expreme style aftermarket SS mani
1.3 MHG (might get away without it)
Greddy Profec B Spec II or similar good value EBC
Custom Remap

This should see about 350-380 BHP. You could save a fair bit and stick with the stock GT28R, loose the cams, MHG and maybe the mani to net around 330 BHP. Though remember the torque increases a fair bit as well from the GT2871R not just the BHP. Personally i think the GT28R is up to to the job on the track, id spend the money saved on better brake and suspension setup.

If tracking id also stick in a bigger alloy rad seeing as how cheap they are and a better clutch like a Exedy Hyper single or something similar. Also youd benefit from a oil filter relocation kit + cooler as this makes oil changes a 5 min job which you will be doing a fair bit of if doing lots of trackdays. The oil cooler will allow longer sessions out on track without risking cooking the oil and seizing something.

Keep us updated with the work as it looks like you are doing a really good job so far :)

Reaction score
Wow your very brave, I would love to do this... I'll keep an eye on this and see what its like when youve finished it and drive it every day! ;)

God going though the car looks awesome stripped!! :thumbs:
I know what your mean. After I had the day on the car, I stood back and thought to myself "Oh god, what have I done"

Going to be a noisy hard daily driver.

Would love to have a stripped and caged S15, as well as my current one...
I hope it's not going to be too bad. I'm going to be putting the carpet back in, but leaving the rear seats out. It's going to be a bit of a hybrid.
I just want to make sure that when I sell it, It can be used for multiple purposes (track or road).

For engine id go for...

GT2871R .64
Apexi Filter
FMIC
Full aftermarket 3" turbo back exhaust including decat
Tomei Poncams
Nismo 740cc Injectors
Z32 AFM
Walbro Fuel Pump
H-Dev Recirc
Tomie Expreme style aftermarket SS mani
1.3 MHG (might get away without it)
Greddy Profec B Spec II or similar good value EBC
Custom Remap

This should see about 350-380 BHP. You could save a fair bit and stick with the stock GT28R, loose the cams, MHG and maybe the mani to net around 330 BHP. Though remember the torque increases a fair bit as well from the GT2871R not just the BHP. Personally i think the GT28R is up to to the job on the track, id spend the money saved on better brake and suspension setup.

If tracking id also stick in a bigger alloy rad seeing as how cheap they are and a better clutch like a Exedy Hyper single or something similar. Also youd benefit from a oil filter relocation kit + cooler as this makes oil changes a 5 min job which you will be doing a fair bit of if doing lots of trackdays. The oil cooler will allow longer sessions out on track without risking cooking the oil and seizing something.

Keep us updated with the work as it looks like you are doing a really good job so far :)
Blimey, that's very near the engine spec that I'd got in mind. How do you think the standard bottom end would stand up to that sort of power?

This is what I have already:

HKS filter
Greddy FMIC
Walbro fuel pump.
Greddy Type S Recird dumpvalve.
Greddy Profec B (only mk 1). would like HKS EVC 5 :)
Working on getting full GTR brakes (in progess).
Copper 60mm radiator.
Tomei ECU
Apex Gen2 coilovers
Whiteline ARBS
Greddy filter relocation and oil cooler

I'll update here often.

+1

keep up the good work! :thumbs:
Thanks mate. will do

----

Update:

Would you believe it, just when you think you've got some time to do the car, the wife goes and buys tonnes of tiles and wants the bathrooms/toilet redone :rolleyes:.

Oh well, I'll have to juggle both.

Maybe I'll get the kids to bed early. Good job I put those 4 big lights in there :)

Oh yeah, here are my choices that I'd like your opinion on.

1. Do I go wide body or stay standard. While I'm having it completely stripped and dipped, it would be simple to have the rear arches tubbed ready at the the same time the cage is welded in. What do you all think. Lots more money though, for what gain? Does the handling improve enough with having a wider trackt o justify the higer price?

2. Door bars. Now this is a good one. I'm thinking of just having one bar which goes from higer behind the seat to low down in the footwell as this would not be a pain for a daily driver. Then later if a full track car is required, then the extra bars could be welded in.

3. Seam welding. This is one I'm just not sure of. Whilst the car is bare I was thinking of doing this as once it's all bolted back up, then it wouldn't get done. Your thoughts?

Hehe, I think this is my largest post.

Reaction score
Well, I finally got the rest of the loom removed from the right hand side that goes into the boot. Removed the wiring to the rear heated window and discovered the aerial is the window! :) I wasn't expecting that.

Got an engine crane and stand organised for next week. I've just got to put the suspension on so that I can reverse the car and take the engine out.

Reaction score
Country
Damn that's going to be loud! (for a DD). If you don't mind hearing all of sweet sounds of the road below kicking around below your car, you should be good to go! Make sure your exhaust doesn't drone, or else it will get old rather quick...

Reaction score
Quick update:

I've finally got my engine crane and stand delivered by a work mate. Mike delievered it tonight. It took him an hour to get from Calne into Swindon :eek:.

If you've ever been to the Glastonbury Festival then you may have seen him as he runs the Cinema. We both work for Dolby Labs :)

Anyway, he arrived in this: :wack:

Also, this thing is 6 wheel drive:

Well, this thing was built in 1943 for the D-Day landing (which it did). After the war it went to Norway where it's been until 1990 until Mike bought it and restored it to its former glory.

It's a 4.5 ltr engine and does 45mph top speed !! This is well cool. Made our neighbors look out of their windows !!!

I now have no excuse to get the engine out!!

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
the spec jez mentioned is pretty much (well, is) the exact spec of mine mate and its pretty useful:nod:

the t28r is a far more punchy little turbo but the 2871r + cams gives you power right to the redline in a more progressive manner with the minimum of increase in lag you could manage from an upgrade. it will never spool like the 28r but once it gets going its an awesome turbo that just makes the car pull and pull - i was on the way back from japshow on a fairly empty road yesterday and thought i'd watch the gauge and it was holding 1.4 bar solid as a rock right to redline. at this boost the turbo isnt even breaking a sweat as people have run them at 1.6 bar for long periods without problems - 1.4 bar should see you up to 380 with a similar measure of torque:D

if you reinforce the engine with a metal head gasket and head stud and nut kit then the engine should cope fine - mine has. i change the oil very regularly as my car isnt a daily and can sit for days at a time, thats pretty much it. gearbox there are mixed reviews, some go on the standard turbo, some dont go with 400bhp going through them. its my opinion that the setup mentioned will greatly reduce its life expectancy LOL.

Reaction score
Hopefully, the head will be ported, polished and gas flowed with MHG, studs and cams. I'll stick with the t28r for a while to see how it runs and change later to the 2871r. What a/r would you go for?

Hmm the gearbox is going to give me nightmares. Ah well, if it goes I'll just have to get a HKS sequentail box :D I'll just tell the missus that's how much they cost :wack:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i would change turbos when you get that work done mate, the 28r will sell well on the sxoc and its a lot of hassle getting the whole lot setup and fitted again. the 28r will not make the most of the other work you've done.

i have the .64 52 trim for spool. it could make 400. the .86 housing will run more power at the expense of response - expect boost further up the rev range on that variant but good if you're chasing a figure:nod:, i wouldnt expect it to be very well mannered on the road.