What's new

Don't flame me for this but...

J

Jono

Does anyone 'mesh' the open mouth in the front bumper?

To me, it looks kinda odd being completely open as it is. I'm not on about halfords style chavving it up but would it look better?

Looks great if you've got a serious branded rad behind the bumper (saw a pic of yellow one with GReddy rad) but Min'e just got a little Nismo horn!!! :eek:

Thoughts please! (and pics if poss?)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yeah, needs mesh if you haven't got an FMIC. If you get some, Halfrauds sell some subtle black stuff.

Here's an old photo...

And the mesh I'm on about...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
:nod:

?330 for an Apex one. Plus you'll need to sort the battery (?50 to sort a full sized one to fit, rather than a race battery), and buy or borrow a feck off sized hole cutter to go through the battery tray.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Jono said:
God I'm thick. FMIC = Front Mount Inter Cooler???
Took me a while to get what it was also :nod:

Go with the Apex :nod: Mine is a Blitz one, they are like ?700+ for the kit, but mine came with the car, otherwise i wouldnt have bought it.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
When air gets sucked through the filter, it goes into the cool side of the turbo and is compressed (boost) before being pushed through pipes and into the engine. The boosted air combines with fuel and creates a bigger explosion than it would unboosted. The explosion pushes the pistons, which turns the crankshaft and out into the wheels. The exploded gases exit the engine via the hot side of the turbo. These gases spin a small turbine which is attached to a turbine in the cold side of the turbo. The faster the gases pass through the turbo, the faster new air is sucked into the other side of the turbo. This is what happens when you put your foot down.

Now. The problem is that there is one hell of a lot of heat created when the gases exit through the turbo. This heat transmits to the fresh air going through the turbo. Engines like cold air. The hotter it is the less efficient the combustion.

To overcome this, a cooler is added into the air pipework leading to the engine. This cools the air down. The cooler is relatively small and is mounted in the wing, just in front of the passenger wheel. When driving hard, upping the boost, in the summer, the cooler's efficiency is crap. The goal is to lower the air intake temperature to as near to the ambient temperature as possible. The average temperature of the air after it passes through the Wing Mounted Intercooler is 15 degrees C over ambient. However, this can often reach 60-70 degrees C over ambient :eek:

A Front Mounted Intercooler is 400% better at cooling. Since I fitted mine, the intake temperature sits at around 5 degrees C or less above ambient, and has never gone over 50 degrees C, regardless of ambient.

This allows the engine to run more boost safely. In fact, when you fit one, the boost usually rises a couple of PSI by itself.

Hope that gives you an idea. :)

D

Derek

Seeing the fmic's have come into the conversation. Do all front mounts require cutting battery tray. The people who have front mounts where have ye battery. I plan to drop in a fmic after a bit but d'ont fancy relocationg battery to boot. etc..

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Apex does a kit which avoids it. It sends both the pipes around via the hot side. I personally wouldn't go for that due to the length of pipes. The longer the pipes, the more the lag... Its not that much hassle cutting a hole in the battery tray ad sortig a different battery.

The kits which come with battery kits or route differently will cost at least twice that of the Apex kit. It'd cost you an extra ?50 to sort a battery.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Mine is cut through the tray also, but i have a smaller battery fitted, its doesnt sit for more than a few days without dying though, that why everytime i'm not using the car, the batt is not connected.

Sorry for the rather large picture, but you can see what i mean here: -

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The race batteries are similar. It why I'm changing it to a proper car battery. They charge much more efficiently than race batteries. Can remember the number, but it the Halfrauds Matiz battery.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Did someone somewhere not suggest that the stock battery would fit with a little tweaking??

J

Jono

Nicely, were I to buy such a component and if say I just happened to be around Salisbury (sightseeing or dodging mortars!?) would you be able to give me a hand fitting said FMIC? :D and a sensible battery?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The way my free time is going at the mo, I could probably fit it in around Christmas. :p

There are things which need to be frigged to get the cooler on (bumper, chassis rails, battery tray, washer bottle). Not huge friggs, but stuff you really dont want to be away from home doing in case theres a problem. I spent the best part of an afternoon at a mate's place doing mine.

D

Derek

Right Must look into battery positions.. I'm definetly not putting battery into boot. What size diameter in average are the piping for the fmic? Is the battery the only main problem with fitting a front mount?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Generally, yes. You either need a race battery, a smaller ordinary battery with cable extensions, or bung it in the boot.

Chassis rails need either trimming or, *cough* their shape teased. Rear of bumper needs trimming, washer bottle need turning 90 degrees and the bumper support (behind the number plate) needs a little filing.

Meddy tells me that the ideal battery is one used in the small Suzukis, Justy and Matiz.

Reaction score
Derek - 3" on the inlet side and 2"1/2 on the tubbie side, or 2"3/4...

I started fittng mine last night at 12:30 (Insomniac!)
I ended up putting my battery in the boot, i ditched the jack and the metal backet it is on and wit a bit of a B&Q bracket managed to squeeze it in place of the jack!
Ive stripped off all the old intercooler piping, wing mount, and front bumper... Ive also got the pipe on the inlet side in though the battery tray... didnt have many probs wit the washer bottle... jus undid the bolts on the side closet to the wing and it gave enough movement to pass the pipe past it...
But does anyone have any pics of theres wit the bumper off, not quite to sure wot i should be cutting next... the front bumper will be fine, its just the chasis rails and bumper support, nicely mentioned???????