What's new

S15 Security

Reaction score
I have recently bought myself an S15 type R, The problem is that the immobiliser has been removed along with the remote central locking now it still has central lock just not remote. I want to put some sort of Security on my car now and was thinking of a Clifford Matrix 50.5X. Which has built in remote start/security and central locking as well as a turbo timer.
My question is are they any good are they easy to fit?? If I do buy it will be coming form America and I live in Ireland and am wondering will I have any problems with fitting it I know some cars have a positive earth and some a negative earth.
What type of security do the rest of ye use.
Thanks in advance for any help.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
mine is a toad ai606 and from what i've seen this is whats fitted by most of the sva places to comply with the regs. when i told my insurance company about it (adrian flux), they mentioned that its one of the best cat 1's around so cant be too bad:)

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
The Cliffords are notoriously difficult to install but they're also one of the best available. I've been looking into upgrading my alarm to the Clifford 650 but they're not cheap..... There's a couple of places in Ireland that supply & fit but you won't get somebody who does them to fit one you supply.... How much are you spending on the one from the U.S?

Reaction score
Country
Ive heard the Toad iA606 is good from numerous people and on forums. You can buy them to fit yourself for about £120 i believe.

Last edited:
Reaction score
cheers for the replys.. folks
Toad ai606 cant say ive ever heard for them but if they are good then i must look into it. Is there much work in fitting one of them.????
I was thinking Clifford because they have a good rep as being a good alarm system but my main concern is the fitting of it. have been chatting a guy said he would do it for 180 and i could supply the alarm but that could very easily change as he was polish (no raciest mark intended) and his boss was not about.
An alarm ive been looking at which is the same as the clifford only half the price is in the following link
http://www.asianwolf.com/car-alarm-8000rsmny.html
Wouldnt mind having a stab at trying to fit it but the thing im worried about is the locking system and the grounds which r negative. Dose anyone know what they are on an s15 r they positive are neg.
Have any of ye tried to fit your own alarm??????? How did that go???

Reaction score
cheers nicely
Few of the options with the alarm is

• Horn Or Ignition 3 (Programmable) (-) Output
• Remote Door Locking/Unlocking (-) outputs
• Passenger Unlock (-) Output

as ya can see the outputs are negative so im guessing i will have to switch them to positive using relays ???????

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Not exactly what was going through my brain when I typed my last post. Nissans are NEGATIVE earth... :annoyed:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Not exactly what was going through my brain when I typed my last post. Nissans are NEGATIVE earth... :annoyed:
:rotfl:was just gonna say mate - otherwise i'd better swap my battery terminals over!!!

M

Matt_S

OH DEAR MR Nicely!

Thats gotta be the biggest FAIL in history! (well, aprt from Jules Fails, theyre HUGE!)

PMSL :D:D:D

Reaction score
negative happy days.
So has no one of ye out there tried fitting a cat 1 alarm on your own.
Oh and another question do most of ye R dam all of ye mix an octane boost through your petrol r just use straight petrol. (sorry know going a bit off topic there)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
In the UK, I believe that Cat1 and 2 alarms have to be fitted by approved fitters and a certificate issued. Its this certificate which has to be presented to insurers to prove it has been fitted properly and meets the Thatcham standards. Not sure about Ireland though...

Regarding petrol: most people with JDM S15s use 97-99RON fuel and don't touch boost levels until its had a remap. I believe you Irish boys add octane booster to 95RON as SUL is difficult to come by. It is IMPERATIVE that you get a remap if you're planning on upping boost and running 95RON. Even then, I find the thought of it quite disturbing....

Reaction score
I work with electrics and computers for a living hence the reason I want to fit it myself be it any other car ie not mine i`d have it fitted in a shot. Also im not fully sure if it will make any difference to my insurance (Quinn direct) i know it does with some companies alright and if it does i will get someone to fit it but hard come across someone that will certify it.
It is JDM S15 spec R 290bhp so more than enough power for me, the reason I ask about the octane is well for the same reason ya put good oil in your car to keep it running well.
its not the extra acceleration boost im looking for I heard its good for the running of the engine makes it burn smoother and helps it run cooler.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Hmm. JDM S15s were mapped for 100RON fuel. There are massive lean patches in the standard map which, if you are running lower RON fuel would be dodgy ON STANDARD POWER. If you are running 290bhp when the standard is 250, I really hope you've had it remapped. Your engine will be on a fast road to death if its not...

Reaction score
I`d be lying now if i said i knew what 100RON fuel is. To me petrol is petrol that the reason i was wondering about adding octane to the mix, As for engine being remapped i dont honestly know i would have taught so but again couldnt fully be sure is there a way to find out as I bough it with the work done to it. And the hole
"engine will be on a fast road to death if its not..."

does not sound like a lot of fun to me.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
100RON is only slightly under some race fuels. 95RON is the bare minimum a car needs to run on these days. Its your bog standard 'Unleaded'. Ordinary forecourt Super Unleaded is 97RON. Even this is a bit risky in a standard JDM S15. What most people use in S15s and Skylines is VPower or Tesco99 in the UK. This is 99RON. An S15 will be quite happy running 98/99RON so long as its running standard boost. Start upping that boost and detonation (det, knock) will start occurring. This happens when the air/fuel mixture is too lean. Too much det will cause the fuel in the cylinders to detonate with the pistons in the wrong position. Too much of this can cause your engine to blow in a very bad way.

My understanding is that 97+RON fuel is very difficult to come by in Ireland, so you all run 95RON. With your S15 running higher power, you need to sort a remap for 95RON fuel as a priority. I would advise running lower boost until that time.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
only 95RON is available in ireland. However maxol have replaced all their 95 unleaded with E5 which contains 5% bioethanol & is 99.2RON. My S15 is running on E85 which is 104RON & again supplied by Maxol ( only 30 odd stations at the mo though ) E85 consists of, you guessed it, 85% bioethanol & 15% petrol. It is 98 cent per litre & gives more power, torque, & most importantly it is good for the environment with minimal emmissions :thumbs:.
As for a remap, I would highly recommend Stiv off SXOC. He is in portloaise & knows his **** :thumbs: He does most of my work. I live in Armagh so its a far drive down but well worth it to know its done right

Reaction score
Quote: My understanding is that 97+RON fuel is very difficult to come by in Ireland, so you all run 95RON. With your S15 running higher power, you need to sort a remap for 95RON fuel as a priority

Your rite it is hard found that’s the reason ive been asking about adding a mix to it so any ideas r welcome. I don’t think Super Unleaded can be got in ireland any more but I could be wrong. Have taken on board getting it mapped and japmadlad recommends Stiv off SXOC ill look into it as im located in galway and portloase not to far down the road.

Now when I say its running at 290 bhp that’s me going on the guys word from whom I bough it off so I wouldn’t take it to be gospel. Now I have a rolling road print out saying 290 but then where it should have the cars reg it has “pee wee” so whats that about I don’t know.
98cent a liter where u shopping was 127.9 last time I got it, I must take a spin to Armagh.
Have never noticed maxol advertising anything to do with have replacing all their 95 unleaded with E5 must have a look. Oh and come on ya own a 2ltr turbo no matter how ya spin it ya cant say is any way good for the environment, F**k the ozone layer i way, this country need warming:D up sick of rain.
Quote:Originally Posted by japmadlad: I bought it to drive it, not to look at it sit on my drive. none of that weekend car bull. ...Posted by Jpo: & if there was nothing else but this as a reason, you sir, have my respect!

Dam rite I cant get out of my car and do be up and down to galway and Sligo a lot work reasons (about 140km each way) so that’s the reason im keen on finding out how to look after my engine.

Nicely
See pics of your car dam nice I must say, mines pearl white but im a big fan of the blue “faster to im told:D” on the inside around radio what is that you have covering the panel its nice.???

Getting back to the question on security have any of ye a kill switch in the car something for killing the fuel pump or power to the coil, switch hidden somewhere only you know about (any tips on this be much appreciated)

P.S Any of ye ever come home full after a good nites beer and given up after 10mins of trying to get the key in the front door,push the girlfriend out of the way:D and just sit there lovely looking at your car waiting on someone to come home to let ya in. Good they’re a fine machine.:smitten: