What's new

Tips on installing HID bulb into Halogen Projector

S

sillbeers15

I've been doing some research on my own after reading the article posted by Nicely about the unsuitability of HID conversion kits.

As our S15 headlamps come with projector lamp for lowbeam regardless wether it were HIDs or Halogen.
I have been trying to understand their differences and I think I have cracked the nut.
There is no magic in projectors suitable for HID bulbs. Inside any projector unit, there are the following:

1. Lens
2. shield (steped edged if beam pattern shows such)
3. Reflector

The only difference a HID bulb will create from pluging it directly into the holder of a Halogen projector is the position of illumination. What I mean is if you place a H1 bulb side by side with a D2S HID buld retrofitted for H1 application, the HID bulb is much longer. If you look carefully, you can find both illumination point of both HID and Halogen bulb.

There is a rather simple solution to make the retrofit work perfectly.
That is to compare and determine the step back required for the HID conversion bulb and slot in high temperature rubber washers to compensate the differential distance. Also find a way to preperly secure the HID conversion bulb now that it is protruding more out of the projetor housing.

I am certain this will create the correct beam pattern that meets test standards after correct focul point has been acheived.

I'll do the test myself and show the results later.

If any kind soul is willing to try it out and post the results before me is welcome.

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
right i had this problem with my gf bmw mini cooper it uses a H7 bulb but when i tired to fit a H7 bulb hid kit the HID bulb was too long and the sheld in the headlight housing was in the way and i wasnt prepered to cut it away...so i gave the HID kit the miss cuz i couldnt get it to fit...:(

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
This sounds interesting. After reading the link from Nicely, I pretty much gave up on the HID conversion. If you have good results, I may reconsider.

The other option is to get a factory HID headlight next to a halogen one and see exactly what the difference is. Another question, is there a difference in the part number of the headlight?

S

sillbeers15

Yes, the S15's HID and Halogen headlamp have different part numbers and cost. HID's are 3 times more expensive as they each come with starter and ballest attached.

The problem is the connections differ from the Halogens, you need to figure out how the circuits work, accomodate the changes to your wiring harness and have a set of connectors to plug into the HID headlamps.

The second option is to source for a set of S15 HID projectors with connector pigtails. Now those are difficult to come by and you will need to pry open your existing Halogen headlamps to change the projectors.

On the web, I came across a DIY post to swop out a S14a headlamp's halogen projector and install a S2000's HID projector. Lots of cutting and precision repositioning are required.....I wouldn't take this route personally.

Clearcorners offered to swop in a BM or Audi HID projector at a cost that almost equal to purchase a new set of S15 OEM HID headlamps with no ballest and starters.

The HID projectors does not contain any stuff that require a rocket scientist to understand. It is just a simple singel lens and reflector optics

I figured that my solution is the easiest (suitable at DIY level) and most cost effective as I cannot see any difference in the optics setup of both HID and Halogen projectors other than the bulb holding locations differ to cater for the different bulb lengths between H1 and HID bulb.

Reaction score
Country
Hmmmmm I had Halogens in mine and I just install my aftermarket HIDs two months ago. No problems whatsoever. Yes the HID bulbs were longer but it went all the way in like the stock halogen bulb.

I can take picture of my beams if you guys like, cutoff is pretty good and doesn't glare... The only glare that you would get from HIDs are usually from non projector style headlights because they dont have a cutoff, just reflecting all the light creating the glare. All I had to do was drill a hole at the headlight cover for the cables to run to the ballast. And there's two small connectors that tap power from main headlight harness.

S

sillbeers15

Ichi-go,

You may do a simple experiment if you wish: remove the back cover to the lowbeam of your headlamp unit. Unclip the HID bulb holder. Turn on the HIDs, slowly retract your HID bulb to visually check if any improvement in your beam pattern? If so, then your HID is not placed at the proper focal point (too far ahead). If no improvement, then we guys are lucky to have the HID focal point and H1 focal point within focus range and nothing needs to be done to improve beam pattern.

When I drive long distance in the dark, my Murano's HIDs are so good that there is just no need for me to use high beam. Is that so for the S15's converted HIDs from your experience?

G

gunner93

Hi Sillbeers,

At the back of the low beam is a screw-on cover. If I adjust the Philips HID bulb backwards by some distance, wont it get in the way of the screw-on cover? Any pics while exploring?

Its very tight behind my headlamps and I have to remove my IC pipe (turbo out) on the passenger side and the battery definately have to be removed on the driver side. I also need to remove my front bumper if I want to mount the 2 X ballasts and 2 X starters under the headlamps.

Reaction score
Country
Ichi-go,

You may do a simple experiment if you wish: remove the back cover to the lowbeam of your headlamp unit. Unclip the HID bulb holder. Turn on the HIDs, slowly retract your HID bulb to visually check if any improvement in your beam pattern? If so, then your HID is not placed at the proper focal point (too far ahead). If no improvement, then we guys are lucky to have the HID focal point and H1 focal point within focus range and nothing needs to be done to improve beam pattern.

When I drive long distance in the dark, my Murano's HIDs are so good that there is just no need for me to use high beam. Is that so for the S15's converted HIDs from your experience?
Ok I get what you mean.. As far as I can see, the beam is the same during the halogen and HID. Just that the HID is way brighter and wider as well. I had to adjust down the driver side beam because it was shooting too high and glaring opposite drivers but my passenger beam after the HID install was like it came from factory.

I didnt have my beam very high so I cant comment on driving with just the HIDs on very dark road.

I'll try take a pic of my hid beam and let you guys comment on it.

I dont think I wanna risk pulling out the HID though cause it's a VERY tight fit for the housing as the HID had a small external bridge that u drawn on the pic that's touching on the housing. I had to gather up the courage and push it in during the install which was breath taking.

Reaction score
Country
I found this...

So even if the distance of illumination did change, can you adjust it back using the headlight adjustments to compensate?

S

sillbeers15

I have my set of Philips HID conversion kit purchased and capacitor soldered on. However I have yet to do the installation as I am pending other work on my ride before I commence my HID and LED installation/conversion process.

I may not have done the HID conversion, but enough research and pics seen,

Gunner 93,
You are refering to the external rear cover. Under the cover, there is a metal clip holding the H1 bulb. Between that and the rear screw on cover, there is still room.

Ichi-go,
Ok. If you do not want to fiddle with your newly installed HID bulb, just shine your headlamp onto a wall. If you find a slight hotspot at the center of each headlamp plus an even lighting pattern spending from left to right with a distinct cut-off at the top edge, you have a proper set up. Rather if you see mutiple hotspots or very strong hotspots and weak overall illunimation, your bulb placement is off for sure and you will get a rather poor beam distance for driving.

To answer your question, the headlamp adjustments are to adjust the entire headlamp unit up-down and left-right. There is no adjustment between light bulb to reflector and lens position.
BTW, your diagram is for a H4 or BiXenon application for the motorised shield removal / retrival when the high beam is switched on.

D

david

Iv fitted hids to mine 9 months ago no problems at all and focus and cut off point is perfect even tho it does go in a bit more than the standard bulb!

Reaction score
Mates,

Just a quick question...i just broke my LHS headlight which comes with factory fitted HID...luckily the HIDs still work...was wondering whether if i could buy the normal halogen lamp light and transfer the HID ballast and its peripherals into it...

Can this be done?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Mates,

Just a quick question...i just broke my LHS headlight which comes with factory fitted HID...luckily the HIDs still work...was wondering whether if i could buy the normal halogen lamp light and transfer the HID ballast and its peripherals into it...

Can this be done?
It can probobly be done. But there is more than just the ballast and igniter which differs the lights.

The place where you put the bulbs differs too.
Not sure what the regular low beam is bulbwise. H1?
If that's the case, you'll have a very hard time fitting a D2S bulb there.

Can't the damage be repaired?

Reaction score
Mate,

Its have cracked through the Silvia word and signal light...my heart just skipped a beat when i saw it...however, the other sections i.e low beam, high beam and small light seems to be ok...

anybody has done any repairs on the headlights before? If yes, how can this be done?

S

silviac

It's an old thread but has anyone come across to do the conversion of this type?

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
just to update.. Iv installed HID's to my non HID headlights on the s15 now.. took all of 10minutes to install, cost me £50 from a local Skyline owner who had never fitted them and their 6k Brightness.

Works a treat. Beams are fine and bright, point the right direction, not as bright as full beam.. after reading thread after thread on here of people who came up with idea's on how to do it etc or get it to work.. its really not hard and seems to be fine.