What's new

Speedo problem

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
Hi all,

Just in case anyone hasn't read my introduction thread, I'm a new S15 owner with speedometer issues.
When accelerating the speedometer sticks at various points in the range... also when slowing. This isn't too great around me as every other road has a speed camera and I could do with having a relatively accurate speed reading.
Anyway, I thought it would be something to do with the converter/de-limiter installed and Nicely has suggested the same.

So, I am looking at replacing the unit.
I've found this one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-SPEEDO...ryZ10402QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Has anyone used one of these or have any recommendations on another that has been used without too much of a problem?

Thanks

Russ

D

david

Never heard off that problem but u should go for the nismo cluster clocks there on ebay for around 220 pounds new i think there savage.

Reaction score
Country
It might not be the speedo. Ive had similar problems before in my FTO and it turned out to be a faulty delimter chip. Might be worth bypassing that first and seeing if the problem goes away as they are hella lot cheaper than a new cluster.

I must also say mine tends to be inaccurate and sticky around 80mph so im tempted to remove mine to see if its a similar problem.

Reaction score
Country
Anyone reccomend a good place to get a delimter/convertor chip or a specific type ?

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
Never heard off that problem but u should go for the nismo cluster clocks there on ebay for around 220 pounds new i think there savage.
Maybe I should have been a little clearer, I'm looking at replacing the converter/de-limiter.
I ike the cluster as it is. The nismo cluster is a lot of money for a cluster just to have one that says 'Nismo' on it.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There is no delimiter. Only a converter. The limiter is set to 180 on the cluster. By fitting the converter, the limit changes from 180km/h to 180mph. Therefore, there is very little point in delimiting.

This problem HAS occurred on here before and it was faulty converters.

David, although the Nismo cluster looks very nice, it is a 280km/h cluster. Although you use km and km/h in Ireland (and the rest of Europe, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, etc, etc), we in the UK (and the US) are still in the dark ages and use miles and mph :rolleyes: Converting the Nismo cluster to mph would mean that only half the speedo could ever be used; and that would be flat out!

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
There is no delimiter. Only a converter. The limiter is set to 180 on the cluster. By fitting the converter, the limit changes from 180km/h to 180mph. Therefore, there is very little point in delimiting.

This problem HAS occurred on here before and it was faulty converters.

David, although the Nismo cluster looks very nice, it is a 280km/h cluster. Although you use km and km/h in Ireland (and the rest of Europe, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, etc, etc), we in the UK (and the US) are still in the dark ages and use miles and mph :rolleyes: Converting the Nismo cluster to mph would mean that only half the speedo could ever be used; and that would be flat out!
Thanks for the clarification. I did look about but didn't find anything relating to this particular problem. Guess my search parameters didn't go far enough back.

cheers for your input. I'll get one of those from ebay to try.

Russ

D

david

Never taught off that nicely forgot ye were still in mph!
Im a bit lost tho cause is ur car not in kph cause its a jdm or have ye to convert them to mph when they come in and if so why?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yes. My last post covered that. When the mileage converter is added, the speedo numbers don't alter, they simply relate to mph instead of km/h.

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
OK.. I got a new converter and got it fitted. 4 wires. +ve, gnd, signal to Head, signal from loom.
All connected OK. Speedo is very accurate up to about 57mph then it drops down to somewhere between 0-30 even though I'm still accelerating.

The converter I took out had a 5th wire connected to the loom side of a purple/white wire labelled as 'ec-vss at-vssmtr' in the manual. I disconnected this wire and connected the loom back to the panel connector.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be or if I need to connect this white/purple wire to the spare grey wire on my converter?

Cheers

Russ

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
Update:
All looks to be working now.
The seller suggested using a different wire in to the unit instead of the one stated in the instructions. This seems to have sorted the issue.

Reaction score
Country
Update:
All looks to be working now.
The seller suggested using a different wire in to the unit instead of the one stated in the instructions. This seems to have sorted the issue.
Ive just done exactly the same as you with a new convertor and getting same problem :wack: What wire did the seller suggest to use then as i bet this will fix mine ?

Cheers

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
Hey there mate.

OK... it's easy, but I want to make sure you have the same wires as me. I think you have based on the image you sent.
Red - +ve
black - gnd/-ve
Yellow - loom end of green signal wire
green - head end of speedo wire
grey (isolated/unconnected)

If this is what your instructions have told you to do, then swap the green/grey wires.
All the others remain the same.
So attach grey to the head end of the green signal wire and disconnect/isolate the green wire from the converter.

This is what seems to have sorted mine.
Hope it sorts yours too :)

Russ

Reaction score
Country
Cheers buddy, thats the same as mine :thumbs:

Ill have to have a go when im back home on monday and let everyone know :)

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
Just a bit of a heads up on this one for you pal.
I found a bit of a 'quirk' on mine.

With the engine running and dorrs closed, unclipping the seatbelt would send the speedo right round to 180mph and back down to zero again. Adding mileage to the clock.

I couldn't find any short or the like at the back of my instrument panel, so have ended up unpluging the seatbelt sensors under the driver and passenger seats.

See if yours does the same.. cheers

Reaction score
Country
WTF :wack:

Hopefully ill be doing mine tonight so ill let you know the outcome. Failing that ill have to try and have a look at the wiring of someone that works properly.

Reaction score
Country
Ok, just wired mine as you suggested and same thing so at least its nothing specific you have done inccorect or wrong with your car :). Speedo works absolutely fine and i get the same issue with the seatbelt so unplugged my sensor as well for now.

Im wondering if re-wiring up that white/purple cable on the right plug has anything to do with this ??

Anyone have any ideas ?

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
Strangely comforting to know yours has done the same.
I'm not sure about the purple/white wire. I've tried with that connected and disconnected with no change.

I was starting to think maybe the installers of the old converter used the 12v from the seat belt warning light but wouldn't expect yours to do it too if that was the case. Unless we've both been unlucky enough to have the previous converter installed badly. This is something I hope to check soon.

I'll keep you posted!

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
I took the feed from the same wire the previous converter was connected to.
If I remember correctly, it was a red wire. The groung was to a black wire. All of these were in to the same connection block as the signal wire.

I was thinking that the previous install may just have thought red = positive, black = ground. As would be the case in most electronics... but not always the case when looknig at wires in to a connection block to an instrument panel.