Converting HID to regular Halogen headlights

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Have a small problem here in Sweden because the stock HID lights for the S15 isn't legal. They would need auto level adjustment and water spray to be legal. So I have to convert them (temporary) to regular Halogen lights.

So what I need to do is bypass the ballast for the HID so I don't blow my replacement bulbs. Or do you think they could last for about 15-20min with the ballast still connected?

Does anyone know which wires to steal electricity from to do this operation?

Reaction score
There may be the factory wiring in there still! Mine has the factory wiring for the HIDs.
If yuo have some extra connectors near your headlights... should be grey.... you may beable to hook up the factory setup!

If you have the conectors then...

In your fuse box going from top to bottom you should have, at the top two 20 amp fuses then below two blank fuse slots... if you remove the two 20 amp fuses and get two 15 amp fuses and use the blank slots below the 20 amp ones the power is now routed to the halogens... just a case of volt testing the extra conectors and rigging something up... if you have the connectrs then i'l exchange some photos with you of how to do it

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
There may be the factory wiring in there still! Mine has the factory wiring for the HIDs.
If yuo have some extra connectors near your headlights... should be grey.... you may beable to hook up the factory setup!

If you have the conectors then...

In your fuse box going from top to bottom you should have, at the top two 20 amp fuses then below two blank fuse slots... if you remove the two 20 amp fuses and get two 15 amp fuses and use the blank slots below the 20 amp ones the power is now routed to the halogens... just a case of volt testing the extra conectors and rigging something up... if you have the connectrs then i'l exchange some photos with you of how to do it
thanks. One of my problems is that the lights are stock HID. So I have all the connectors and they do plug into the light nicely, but the ballast is kinda built in. I remember when I got the car registered, the guy who helped me routed the current past the ballast so the lights wouldn't explode. But I think he used 3 wires? Maybe only 2 are neccesary?

What is connected to the low beam lights? power from the relay and earth? Is there any more?

Edit: well, this isn't really a big problem. I have untill the 22nd of May to get this done and I'm sure I could work it out with trial and error.
Edit2: Or a multimeter might be a quicker way :)

S

sillbeers15

I can give you a clear picture of how the factory H1 helogen is connected:

From the battery 12V power supply, the headlamp taps left and right bank seperately via a 15A fuse each as described by Channie. The position of the fuses are 41 and 42 in the fuse and relay box in the engine compartment.

For low beams, the 15A (or lower) power supply goes straight to the headlamps via the left colum switch beside the steering wheel. When the high beam is turned on. The power supply also supplies the high beams directly from the same 15A source, but the circuit also routes the high beam supply to triger the single headlamp relay (found in the same fuse box as the 2 fuses) which taped 15A power from the same two 15A fuses (left and right seperately) to continue supplying power to the low beams (a momentary switch over of power supply for the low beams when the high beams are turned on.

Therefore the low beams get turn on when you flash the highbeam in daytime when the lowbeams were not turned on.

If you intend to re route your current circuit into the stock Helogen bulb headlamp one, hopefully the above information helps. Otherwise, you just need to identify the power supply to the balast and bypass it. And you need the H1 connectors to connect to Helogen H1 bulbs after you changed the fuzes.

Last edited:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Took a look at this today and didn't come up with much :wack:
I've found the ballast and only found 3 wires going into it in a triangle looking connector.
One of the cables which was red/white got current when I flicked the park lights on. The other two I can't figure out.

Strange thing is that I can see marks on all these cables from the last time this mod was done. But I can get it to work :(

Regular H1 won't fit. Last time a modified H4 was used and that's what I tried now. Tried every possible combination with the three incomming cables to the ballast and the H4. But nothing worked :(

What am I missing here.

please help me.

Last edited:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Well. drivers side light is now buggered :mad: :annoyed:
To dark to see anything now so I'll check the fuses tomorrow. But considering how well everything is going tonight It's probobly the whole lamp-unit or wiring.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Just talked to the guy who helped me last time and things got a little clearer.

I had no idea what was what on the actual light, so I mistook the earth pin for current.

I hope that I just shot a fuse and will check them tomorrow and then forget about this evenings events and start over from scratch and run a separate earth for the low beam.

I'll see if I've got to get another xenon bulb too as I broke the little pins on it when I tried to reassemble the lights.

Very crap evening. I hope tomorrow evening will be better.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Yay. I got lights :D
Just worried that they're connected to the parking lights and won't have enough juice.

I'll just have to see when the lights have been modded to fit in the projector housing.

I connected it to the red/white cable and ran a separate earth.

I little worried about the parking light bit though as the bulb lights up when i flick the switch one step. Normally that would just engage the parking lights. But the wiring for the parkers are located next to the wiring I'm connected to :confused:

Well, as long as it works :)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Well, I haven't had much luck with this yet.
The connector I connected to before wasn't the right one as it was for the parking lights. Found another connector with 2 wires to it which will make the lights work as stock. the switch inside the car can controll the lights just as stock, but the lights doesn't light up bright enough and the beam pattern looks strange (probobly because the modified H4 doesn't fit very well).

I'm running out of ideas.

Edit: I'm thinking of using a H1 light instead of the H4. But I would need modify it because of the hole for the D2S is bigger compared to the base of the H1.
But I have no idea about how the H1 light is earthed?. On H4 it's the middle pin, but where is it on the H1?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I've now got an answer from a good lad on a Swedish website :)
So I'm now gonna run a new wire from the battery through a relay and on to the lights. I'm gonna run the existing power wire (which is lacking juice) to controll the relay.

I'll see how it goes. Might try H7 bulbs instead of H4.