What's new

Hi there every body!

A

alexfalk

I?m another guy from Sweden and I?m running a small import business. I joined here because I just sold my Single turbo RX-7 and I will purchase an S15 spec-R now. But I have some questions though.

1, One of the main reasons that I sold the 7 was that it?s so freakin small inside. (I?m 193cm tall) How is the S15 for that matter? Is it possible to adjust the steering wheel?

2, Are there any general issues with these? (Except the tranny)

3, I will drive it stock:sleep: at least this season, so I would like to know how a stock one is to drive? Can anybody compare it with another japanese car?

4, My only encounters with the SR have been with modified ones and I have to say that I just love the great responce. Does it have that with stock flywheel?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I?m another guy from Sweden and I?m running a small import business. I joined here because I just sold my Single turbo RX-7 and I will purchase an S15 spec-R now. But I have some questions though.

1, One of the main reasons that I sold the 7 was that it?s so freakin small inside. (I?m 193cm tall) How is the S15 for that matter? Is it possible to adjust the steering wheel?

2, Are there any general issues with these? (Except the tranny)

3, I will drive it stock:sleep: at least this season, so I would like to know how a stock one is to drive? Can anybody compare it with another japanese car?

4, My only encounters with the SR have been with modified ones and I have to say that I just love the great responce. Does it have that with stock flywheel?
Hey, another Swede :D
I recognise your forum name, but I can't really place the forum I recognise it from.

I'll try and answer some of the questions.

1. The S15 isn't very big on the inside. Much better than a RX7 though but not as roomy as a skyline.
BUt I'm not very tall so I'll let someone else answer this :)
The steering wheel can be adjusted up and down.

2. Not really. Tranny could be a problem when you start to tune it beyond the basic stuff. But I don't think there is much more than that. IC pipings might crack, but FMIC from asia are very cheap. The centre console scratches easily.

3. Never driven a 100% stock one :)

4. No idea :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Welcome :wave:

The S15 is quite impressive stock. Its let down by a slightly wallowy ride (probably compared to the Rex). The gearshift its a bit too long too. Both these things are rectified easily and very effectively.

Response is good on the stock flywheel. It fooking fantastic with my Nismo Super Coppermix clutch and fly! :D Plus, if you've got a pre October 2000 model, it'll have a ball bearing turbo which spools very quickly.

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
well welcome first all of the above really dont think about it just get it topper has one on here and he is pretty tall i he will answer that question:wave:

A

alexfalk

Thanks for the info!

Yakozan: The biggest issue is that I can?t countersteer fast enough when I go sideways because of my knees get too close to the steering wheel. As long as it?s a little bigger and have a adjustable steering column I?m a happy camper :D
I have the same nick on all forums so it could be any.

Nicely: Thats what I wanted to hear.
I guess that a lot of cars are more wallowy than the 7.

Good that you should mention the BB turbo. Are there more differences between them through the years?

How are the brakes? On the earlier models they really suck.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Thanks for the info!

Yakozan: The biggest issue is that I can?t countersteer fast enough when I go sideways because of my knees get too close to the steering wheel. As long as it?s a little bigger and have a adjustable steering column I?m a happy camper :D
I have the same nick on all forums so it could be any.

Nicely: Thats what I wanted to hear.
I guess that a lot of cars are more wallowy than the 7.

Good that you should mention the BB turbo. Are there more differences between them through the years?

How are the brakes? On the earlier models they really suck.
If you're going to Elmia this weekend there will be at least 1 S15 there.
It will be located in J-specs area, So if you ask nicely maybe the owner might let you sit in it.

If you're located around stockholm you can sit in mine after it's ready to come out of the garage.

Brakes are the same as the S14. 4pots in the front with 280mm discs. single pots in the rear.

With uprated brake pads it will be more than enough for stock power.

Doesn't the RX7 have adjustable steering wheel?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
And a decent disc upgrade can be had fairly cheaply. Rear brakes are crap, due to the combined calliper/handbrake. Fitting Z32 brakes solves this, but is a bit more costly.

Not other real model differences to worry about. Avoid HICAS and try to get HIDs and a full Aero body kit (including front bumper). Avoid black and pewter - they're rubbish... :p

A

alexfalk

Yakozan: Thanks for the invite. I?m rarely in Stockholm though.
I will make some serious mods to it when I have the time. So brake upgrade will be done if it?s the same ones as on S14.
I will definitly have a closer look at the one with J-spec on Elmia. What day will you go there? Or will you be exhibitor somewhere?
The RX-7 does not have adjustable steering unfortunetly. Pretty bad actually.

Nicely: I will be purchasing one from an auction I supose. So I think it will be tricky to tell if it have HICAS or not. Is it Hydraulic or elctric HICAS on the S15 BTW?
What do you mean with "Black and pewter"?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its part of the ongoing 'colour war' on the forum. Pewter (the silver one) is the most common S15 colour and black is rubbish because Yako constantly says how great it is... :p

I'd have thought HICAS would be mentioned on the auction sheet. It was a pretty rare option, but one to be avoided. Its the same HICAS fitted on the R34, I believe, so its electric.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
The height issue, i'm 6"1' (i think :wack:) so not that tall, but i find the steering wheel doesnt lift high enough :no:

However, when your sliding the back end out, just let go of the wheel, this is what you do when drifting and should stop you hitting your knee's.

A

alexfalk

Nicely: That was my first guess. I think I will repaint it during the winter. although it?s really nice in blue with the Ings +1 bk and white rims and white vinyl.

Topper: I gess your right but I can purchase a quick release or a spacer for the steeringwheel to solve that problem. That was my idea with the 7. But it just didn?t feel right.

I will go to Elmia tomorrow and beg someone with an S15 to let me have a test sit.

S

sillbeers15

Hi,

I know that I'm answering kind of late to your question. But in case you still have no feedback on the height issue, I'll chip in my comment.

I'm 187cm tall. I need to move the seat all the way back to drive comfortably. With the stock seats...headroom is still OK (but i sit really upright as I have long legs but no longer arms). But after changing my seats to Recaro SRs, I get less headroom and legroom. I managed to modify my recaro seat rails to accomodate more legroom. As for headroom, I'm barely an inch off the roof lining.....everything seems fine until I attempt to put on my full face helmet for the track.....so no trackwork for me.

Reaction score
Which ones are the recaro SRs...
Are they the ones from the DC5 integra???

S

sillbeers15

There is a whole family of Recaro SRs....the one on DC5 is just one of them.

A

alexfalk

Long time since i last wrote something here. Atually I just found a S15 that I really like. The last owner had it set up for track and he have been to a few amateur track meets with it. He even taped up the numbers in the trunk:nod:

It seems to be good modified. But as its a track car it needs some exterior attention. Sadly I will probably put the Ings BK on it. But I like it.
If you guys would like I could put up some pics;)?

Here is the Specs on it:
FRP Aero bonnet, Front wide body fender kit, Side skirt, Rear body kit, SARD 3D GT-Wing,

HKS Air filter, 99 spec BB turbo, HKS Racing, Intercooler, KOYO Aluminum racing radiator, Full piping, Stainless exhaust manifold, HKS Racing actuator, Front pipe, Muffler, BLITZ Dual SBC, Turbo timer, TRUST e-manage(sub CPU), 17inch alloy Wheel, Height adjustable suspension, racing tie rod, Pillow upper mount(front & rear), SPARCO Racing seat, etc

Boost up modified. Set selectable with 0.5, 0.8, 1.0kg. Its circuit attack
machine fully modified by RISE.

Last edited:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nice. Do post some pics :)
Are you going to get it via the UK? If that's the case it will need a pretty big amount of modding to get it through the ESVA test.

A

alexfalk

Hi!

No it will go directly to Sweden.
I have got some Japanese plates so it might not get registered until this winter.

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
do u get the plates with the car??

if u dont want them in the end i will have them....