What's new

S15 Headlights - how to clean the lenses?

Reaction score
I keep looking at the front headlights and want to know how I can get the lenses on the outside looking cleaner and more polished.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks, Blinx :)

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
wax or polish ot but sometimes it might be the inside which needs clean but i havent tried that one

Reaction score
how'd they come apart to clean the inside?

mine're currently a mess! and all "hazey"....wanna do mine!!!

A

Autech_NZ

if its a yellow haze it is probably the same as what the s14 prefacelifts are notorious for getting. it is usually on the outside not the inside unless your headlights are cracked.

it is the UV protectant layer getting oxidisied from sunlight and turning yellow.

you can buff it off with some plastic polish but it will come back again because now you have bare unprotected plastic which will go opaque on the top layer.

i havent heard a better way of fixing it. you could always sell both kidneys and buy the glass lights.

Reaction score
i'll cut them when i get it back then... :)

does anywhere sell something like UV lacquer?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
i'll cut them when i get it back then... :)

does anywhere sell something like UV lacquer?
I wouldn't bother. Just polish the headlights everytime you polish the car.
Both your lightbulbs and the sunlight emits UV rays. Unless you change your bulbs for LEDs. that's the only light source I know about which doesn't emit UV-rays

Reaction score
cool cool.... still not got the car back.... :( wish i had... it'd give me something to do whilst off work! GRR

ahh well. will try it asap :)

L

Lee75

I did mine not long ago with a metal polish, it said for hardend plastics so i gave it ago and they look like new now:D

J

Jono

I successfully sorted mine out last year in a similar way to Nicely, but I used Meguiars Clay-Bar first and then Meguiars 'Scratch-X' instead of T-Cut. I was warned that T-Cut might be a little too abrasive so I suggest if you use it, use it very carefully and sparingly. The claybar is great for getting the surface squeaky clean before polishing though.

Finally, a very fine layer of wax to help protect the surface... IMHO. :)

V

V-MAX

Just want to say thanks for this thread... I had one headlight that was dull and kind of smoked colour which has been bugging me since I bought the car. Thought I would end up buying a new one, one day but tried T Cut today and it's like new now!!! Cheers!

Reaction score
I will have to try that once I have finished trying to stop the Wisesquare light cluster on the nearside from condensating everyday :(

This is a good thread. Might be worth me doing a "How to guide" when I come back from my business trip.

Cheers, Blinx :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Mine does it too. Sure it must be a seal issue or similar. Thinking of emailing Wisesquare just for a laugh...

Reaction score
Its really weird. Its just the nearside one that condensates. I have created vent holes at the back of the tail light but there are two plastic skins that make up the light for the indicator and reversing light. My hands are melting with the hair dryer :(

Reaction score
Right, i had a go at my lights last night as they were very dull. Applied a nice coat of Autosol metal cleaner and worked it in. It started out very rough and i thought i was scrathing the hell outta them, but i continued and the roughness dissappeared. I then buffed it with a clean cloth and presto, they are like new.

Well done all, i can see in the dark again :thumbs: