What's new

jdm dvd sat nav

P

Paddy mack

is it possible to retro fit a dvd/ sat nav system which came as an op extra on jdm s15, into my car which doesn't have it?? this a picture of one that newera had in there s15

Last edited:

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
everything is possible - but why would you want to do it. As far as I know it won't play DVD's (mine doesn't) and you need a degree in Japanese to operate the buttons :) The satnav also only works in Japan as far as I know.

I'm on the lookout for a replacement screen to put in mine right now as I've bought a dvd/mp3/etc.. player to replace the stock head units.

P

Paddy mack

i just want the houseing, like youself i'd change the HMI to a european one. just out of interest can you see any places its screwed down to the dash?? as in would cutting a hole in my dash and fitting it into it work or is it a replace the whole dash board possible??? if i can locate one that is

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I use the car to drive though. If I have time to watch a DVD, I go in the house and watch the Plasma and have a beer... :p I've got an iPaq for sat nav :nod:

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
i just want the houseing, like youself i'd change the HMI to a european one. just out of interest can you see any places its screwed down to the dash?? as in would cutting a hole in my dash and fitting it into it work or is it a replace the whole dash board possible??? if i can locate one that is

I can have a look for you but not for a few weeks which probably doesn't help you much... I'm flying to the UK tomorrow and won't be back 'til the following Sunday... so won't be able to get to the car until the following weekend. It's a pity as my desk and balcony are filling up with car parts again (3 boxes from Perfectrun today) and I want to fit them :)

SR2O

Reaction score
Hey mate I've got the Sat Nav option. I can tell you now it will not be cheap. In order to retrofit this system your going to have to the following:

Replace the entire dash with the Sat Nav version and get the popup lid
Buy the popup screen unit (I checked how much through Nissan: $2,500 AUD!)
Buy the appropriate wiring loom
Purchase the Navigation DIN system (it has a button that is needed to open the popup screen)

In all honestly it would be more hassle than it's worth. I'm modding my system at the moment to use a 7" touchscreen in place of the OEM unit as it is being hooked up to a carPC to take care of mp3, DVD, GPS etc. The unit is VERY complicated and I'm yet to sort out a switching system that doesn't require the stock navigation DIN unit.

P

PhilV

i have a DVD/CD/sat nav compatible head unit much like Topper, mine is a Kenwood, u can see it in my pics its ?1400 new but u can get it for like ?600ish on eBay, much better option and easier to fit an use

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
The unit is VERY complicated and I'm yet to sort out a switching system that doesn't require the stock navigation DIN unit.
When you do it .... please please please post a write up... I haven't got round to dealing with the screen yet... it is in the list of projects for the spring... what touch screen did you get?

S

silviac

I was thinking of doing this conversion sooner or later. The main reason I found the din slot isn't good is that when I drive, it is kinda hard to push buttons, mainly it's sitting lower than my eye sight.

So intead, have a touch screen on the board so I still can drive safely.
I know there is a function which deactivates it from working when in driving mode but that can be cut.

Are there more than just replacing the dashboard? I assume some of wirings will be involved but not too much. Has anyone done by any chance?

P

Paddy mack

Hey mate I've got the Sat Nav option. I can tell you now it will not be cheap. In order to retrofit this system your going to have to the following:

Replace the entire dash with the Sat Nav version and get the popup lid
Buy the popup screen unit (I checked how much through Nissan: $2,500 AUD!)
Buy the appropriate wiring loom
Purchase the Navigation DIN system (it has a button that is needed to open the popup screen)

In all honestly it would be more hassle than it's worth. I'm modding my system at the moment to use a 7" touchscreen in place of the OEM unit as it is being hooked up to a carPC to take care of mp3, DVD, GPS etc. The unit is VERY complicated and I'm yet to sort out a switching system that doesn't require the stock navigation DIN unit.

Ah Bugger replacing the dash sounds like a world of pain. perhap my money would be better spent on something else.
But in reply to the switching problem could you not wire the motor that opens it up to the button blank behind the handbrake on the centre console?

SR2O

Reaction score
When you do it .... please please please post a write up... I haven't got round to dealing with the screen yet... it is in the list of projects for the spring... what touch screen did you get?
I haven't purchased a touch screen yet but it's looking like I will get a Xenarc touchscreen and I'll have to modify the housing to fit in the motorised system used by the OEM screen. I'll do a write up when I do the system for those interested, this could take a while to do properly.

Ah Bugger replacing the dash sounds like a world of pain. perhap my money would be better spent on something else.
But in reply to the switching problem could you not wire the motor that opens it up to the button blank behind the handbrake on the centre console?
If I were you I wouldn't even attempt it from what I know of the system. If it's that important I'd go find an S15 with one already, that's what I did.

I'll be taking the system to an electronics guy around my area who should be able to rig something up. It should just be a matter of identifying which part of the wiring harness is used to send the open/close signal to the chipset inside the motorised unit. I could take a stab but I don't want to take the chance of making an expensive guess.

A

Adam15

hi lads after buying a 99 spec R,and it has the flip up sat nav in the dash,,jst wondering does anyone know can i buy a european cd and load the software on to the sat nav,?

I know that Nissan do a cd bu its for a primera and only came out here in 2005,,and 2002 in the uk.the only problem is its about 300 euro a cd,,so its a dear risk to take,,or would i be better going away and replacing the screen???:thumbs:

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
bump for this thread, anyone done this, i found a spec r with the monitor but i figured that the sat nav wud be in Japanese which wouldnt be any use really eh..

P

Paddy mack

sori mint i say you replied ages ago but never got back to ya, i never bothered with as the i would have had to change me dash board.