What's new

splutter splutter

Reaction score
a couple times now, i'd driven the car and it's felt "spluttery".

twice, was when the car was cold the other morning.... not like a constant mis-fire, just a little "chuggy". The car was not fully warm at this point, but, after stopping, turning off the car, going about, doing what i was doing, the car drove on, like normal.

the other situation was when going down a slip road, could hear it "popping", only slightly, but fairly constantly..... (obviously before i noticed it, which was before the bottom of the slip) so, lifted off, rev's dropped. got to my mates, turned the car off, went in his, picked him up, came back out, and it was back to normal again.

fuel wise, first time it done it was running tesco 99. second time, which was the slip road incident, it had BP ultimate in (was running low christmas day, was the only place open for fuel!). then lastly was the ?10 of ultimate, mixed with a fully topped up 99ron tank again.

Basically, i'm not putting this down to coil pack, cause, it's only when rev's are higher, never at idle.

I'm thinkin', possibly plugs? Cold weather the cause? Think i'm gonna change the plugs anyhow, just so i know when they're new ones.... but question being, for what ones? Do i just call nissan and get some? or, do i take the option of getting some colder plugs?

Really, i know, i need too pull em out and check the condition of them, see what colour they are to get a true idea of things....

cheers! :)

Reaction score
cheers nicely, i think i'll buy some, just so i know when they've been changed.

as for mods, exhaust, decat, filter and FMIC.

stock boost and fueling atm.

lookin' to get elbow and down pipe soon.

Nicely, which should i be lookin' to get??? plus, won't all those need regaping to 0.9mm???

cheers!

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I've got some Denso Iridium IK24 in my S15 and it runs very good. Didn't do anything about the gap which I think is 0.4mm.
You might consider getting IK22 instead. But I've experienced no problems with my IK24.

Reaction score
yea. i've heard about the Denso's doing that... the "det master plugs". think there's a thread recently on SXOC with a snapped tip!

Leave the gap as they come nicely?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
Personally, I'd get some NGK BKR8EIXs. Densos have a nasty reputation for the ends coming off...
I've heard that too.
But I don't think they'll fail unless there is detonation.

But go with the NGK if you're worried. :)

edit:
My densos has covered about 15000km which has included 1 trackday, 1 driftday and 1 airstrip cone event running about 0.8Bar of boost. :wave:

Reaction score
Website
www.gtiroc.com
Country
Nicely said:
Personally, I'd get some NGK BKR8EIXs.
Agreed :nod: Been using these in the Pulsar at 1.2 bar for the past couple of years now and never had any problems with them at all :thumbs: Unlike the denso's / HKS plugs i used before which would die after about 2000 miles!!!!!!

Sparkplugs.co.uk sell um :D (as im sure you probably already know)

Cheers

J.

Reaction score
/me is gonna order some, even though i've still not bothered to wip my ones out yet... least then i'll know when they're new! :)

K

kieran

i always get this problem after about 3 months, everytime its plugs, everytime i put denso's in and normally about 3-5k between changes!

V

Vandal

Are you guys sure 8s are appropriate given that he hasn't cranked the boost up yet? I would have thought 7s or even stock 6s would be better.

Reaction score
yea, basically, the plan is...

get it sprayed.
then alignment arms/new rear tyres, possibly some rear subframe collars.
elbow and downpipe.
fuel pump, injectors, EBC and remapping.

So by that time, some new plugs wouldn't go a miss anyhow!

V

Vandal

I would use 7s. If you run 1bar + boost, then 8s are ok. Gap should be .8 or .9mm until you up the boost.

Reaction score
so wouldn't i be better getting the BCPR7EIX then? they're 7's..... and they're a 0.8mm gap....

forget this....think they're for the CA18DET instead! DOH! LOL