What's new

Turbo whine??

M

mongoose

Hi all,

I'd just fitted an exhaust manifold today, was testing the car this evening, much improved boost response compared to the stock manifold, but I'm hearing this whine from the turbo the moment boost starts. Sounds rather like the supercharger whine in fact?! Any bros here with the same experience (could this be so because I'm hearing the turbo more now with the stock manifold heatshield removed?), or should I do a re-check to look for boost leaks? For that matter, how does one check if there is a leak coming from the gaskets (engine/manifold, manifold/turbo)?

Thanks!

K

kieran

personally i found more turbo noise once i change a few parts so i would say normal, it goes without saying though just go over all the hoses and ensure they are all tight and in place, as for leaks around the mani /wastgate etc if there was a leak there id expect more of an exhaust blow noise also can be discribed as sounding rough like a tractor :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The turbo will sound louder with a tubular mani and no heat shields :nod: Just keep an ear out for any changes in sound....

M

mongoose

Thanks very much guys :) good to know this. Actually it sounds pretty cool this way too :p

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I got an increased spooling noise from the turbo (slight whisling) when the tubro elbow (dump) pipe was fitted :thumbs:

Reaction score
what type of manifold is it? i didn't notice a huge change in noise after mine was installed...

M

mongoose

my turbo whine has gone away, apparently it could have been my bearings from maybe interrupted oil/water.. I know my mechanic struggled a little getting the the oil and water hardlines to match up with the lower block, and resorted to some yanking with some tools.. maybe some debris got dislodged and made its way into the turbo.. but at least for now it seems gone.. next time I drop my turbo I'll switch to some braided water/oil lines to avoid this re-installation problem.

I fitted tomei's manifold and outlet.. thermal wrapping was a huge pain :p

J

Jap Heaven

I'm getting that noise also and exhaust system is all standard ?