What's new

Normal coolant and engine oil temps...optimal temperatures?

C

Chris S15

Hi All,
Since getting my PFC, i've been monitoring my water temps. For normal everyday driving, i get between 72-80 degrees. For a warm day, i'll get 85. and giving it a boot for a while i get about 89. (that's the highest i've seen). Also connected my oil temp gauge. Takes FOREVER for the oil to get warm. at least 20 mins before it registers around the 65-75 degrees marks. haven't seen it go over 80, even after giving it a boot for a while (with the water temp at 88 degrees).

Just want to know if this is normal? Or too cool? or too hot?

Any tech info would be good.

Thanx

Chris

PS. Here's a pic of how my oil cooler is mounted.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
In my opinion, the oil is too cold.
what viscosities are you running?

I would really look into fitting an in-line thermostat or cover the cooler when not doing track-driving.

But it mostly depends on what viscosity oil you're running.
5W40 might be OK, but the oil might still be to cold.
I think you need to raise your oil temperature.

Edit. I have no oil cooler but will fit a themo one for next year.

The oil temp quickly raises to about 80-85 degrees C. By going a bit faster (highway speed) it exceeds 100 degrees C. Going rally fast will raise it to about 110-115 degrees C and sustained fast traveling will make you reach higher temps.

I run 15W50 oil fully synth.
From what I've heard the optimal operating temps for most synth oils are about 95-120 degrees C.
Well the 15W50 can take alot higher punishment. But I don't have any figures.
think I've read something about 365 degrees Celsius. But then I suspect other bits might fail on the car.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yep, your oil is too cold. Before I saw that you had an oil cooler, I suspected you did. Oil is only just reaching running temperature at 80, and is engineered to run most efficiently at 90-120. Running at 80 will not be doing your engine any favours.

As Yako suggests, you need to get a thermostatic control on your cooler.

C

Chris S15

yeah, i really need one.

Anyone know links or suppliers for one? I've asked a few workshops and they don't know where to source one.

So...giving it a boot when it's below 75 degress is doing damage?