What's new

Sound deadening material underneath rear seat

S

silviac

Anybody who has amp may know what I am talking about.

If your amp is at the back, you need to run cables to the back.

where the cables sit at the bottom of back seat and on top of sound deadening material, you will find some of black molten stuff on the cables.

I assume these are melted by heat generated from muffler etc. Is this right? Also I think the sound deadening has melted on the cables. Since the seat pushes the cables down and the material get heated up and got soften, the cables sunk into the sond deadening material.

That's my theory.

Because I want to lay a sheet of polyester on the bottom of seat, I want to know if they will melt by heat or not. I don't want my car to burn lol

any comment or experiece people?

D

Derek

Yes i also experienced this. The previous owner of my S15 has some sort of sound system in boot and the cables he ran had melted on the sound proofing. I ripped out this cables now tho. Wouldn't like the idea of melting under my seats. All i can say to you is. Put Dynamat under seat or wrap Elctrical wire with Heat proofing or the plastic cover just to stop it from resting on the Sound proofing. I'd say it would never get to level to start a fire but you never know.

Reaction score
Country
hum same think happen to my lancer when i had cable over the sound proofing im sure the heat wont be as mush to melt the cables. mine happened in the boot and there was no exhaust under it.
the sound proofing will just gets soft and cable will sink in over time and if you put some weight over it, also the heat of the car on a good sunny day can help.

u would wrap the cables to stop them from sticking to the tar, or maybe chasing them in a plastic tube... just some ideas.