What's new

Changing Thermo fans

P

paulphot

Has anyone changed the thermo fan on their S15? I've seen a few that have just removed the standard fan and shroud and replaced them with two thermo fans. The main reason being the fmic reducing flowto the radiator. It also gives you about 300cubic feet :p more space in the engine bay. Just a thought.

This is of an S14 but the theory is the same.....same blacktop SR20DET to start with.

S

S15R

hehe :D apexi kit wont reduce flow :D

cheapest way = holden thermo fan(s) and yashio factory fan controller or home made switch :D

P

paulphot

Would there be a Nissan part that would do the job and just plug into the factory loom, like from a Pulsar or Skyline (almost every other Skyline part fits)?

P

paulphot

Mostly for something different but also where my BOV plumb-back line joins my cooloer piping there is about 5mm clearance from the main fan. More room and thinner fans means more clearance. More clearance means happier me. :D

130r

Have been thinking about this setup when I saw the Billions fan on display.
We from ths tropics should benefit more from this set up, since our temperature is on the high side through out the year.
Especially when stuck in heavy traffic.

paulphot said:
Has anyone changed the thermo fan on their S15? I've seen a few that have just removed the standard fan and shroud and replaced them with two thermo fans. The main reason being the fmic reducing flowto the radiator. It also gives you about 300cubic feet :p more space in the engine bay. Just a thought.

This is of an S14 but the theory is the same.....same blacktop SR20DET to start with.

P

paulphot

From memory the guy with the pictured set-up is using a fan from a Pulsar N14 or something. It supposedly runs better (moves more air) and plugs right into the S15 factory loom. That way it runs just like the original only does a better job. I will have to track him down and ask again.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
paulphot said:
From memory the guy with the pictured set-up is using a fan from a Pulsar N14 or something. It supposedly runs better (moves more air) and plugs right into the S15 factory loom. That way it runs just like the original only does a better job. I will have to track him down and ask again.
So you just change the AC-fan on the S15 for a N14 pulsar one and remove the viscous fan?

M

mongoose

hi I've been experimenting with electric fans recently, if you size the fans right, they can indeed offer you more airflow when the car is stationary. Stock viscous fan pulls sufficient air for stock rad but when you put in fmic + maybe a thicker rad it can become insufficient (at least for our weather here) when the car is stationary.

Plus you free up some horses too by removing the stock fan.

For best results use 2 fans to cover as much rad surface area you can. I've tried fans from Billion and Spal and I would recommend Spal. For the same fan diameter Spal sells them with different motors so you have a choice of airflow too. I think in Australia you can get these fans from PWR..

P

paulphot

Excellent, don't suppose you have a fitting guide fo the S15 by any chance or have you just played with other set-up? :D

M

mongoose

hmm.. no fitting guide bro sorry ;) but if you're on S15 factory radiator I reckon you can fit twin 12" puller fans from Spal. Check out part number VA01-AP70/LL-36A. This fan is 95.5 mm thick and should still fit. Plenty of pull from this fan, but also high current draw around 16 amps, so use the right gauge of wire. With something like the Pivot fan controller you can have one fan turn on 5 deg C before the second.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
mongoose said:
.......... I reckon you can fit twin 12" puller fans from Spal. Check out part number VA01-AP70/LL-36A. .....
Who? Sounds interesting, is this a worthwhile mod?

M

mongoose

oh Spal makes the electric fans. Italian company. I buy them from www.proalloy.co.uk. Actually I know Proalloy does a lot of custom work and I'm pretty sure they can do a good fan mounting bracket on the radiator... if you need more air flow when your car's stationary without ram air, a good set of electric fans can do the trick for you. Actually I was just thinking for drifting, strong cooling fans may even help cool the intercooler, with a cooling panel like Nicely's would be ideal.