What's new

tyre pressures at the track - what do you run?

Reaction score
Guys, how much pressure do you run on the track? - cold pressures please. From my experience, once the tyres heat up - they add about 5-6psi to the cold reading.

My tyres are 225/45/17 F and 245/49/17 rear. I usually run 35/36 on the road. I tried this on the track - no real probs but pressure got up to 42psi when resting . Tried 30 psi cold in order to get to around 35psi hot - not bad. Although I noticed the last time I was at the track, my tyres seemed to squeal more than previously noticed. Curious to see what you guys think...

Reaction score
are you running normal street tires or semi slicks.

I have been through several different sets of semis and this is what I have used

Bridgestone RE55s - 26 cold
Dunlop D01J - 25 cold
Kuhmo Ecsta V700 - 26 cold

This was to bring my hot temps up to 31-32.

If you are driving on street tires, I am not sure what other people use as I have never been on the track with normal road tires.

Reaction score
yeah- I'm running regular street tyres - Goodyear Eagle F1's - GSD3's. They're not bad - quite sticky. Although I think I've found the limits of them on the track.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
35/36 on the road :eek: You must be bouncing all over the place...

Stock tyres are 32.

I run 235/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear with 29/31 (warm). That's based on a formula someone on SXOC calculated. They are pretty much right. I'd run about 35 on track, depending on tyre size.

Reaction score
Nicely said:
35/36 on the road :eek: You must be bouncing all over the place...

Stock tyres are 32.

I run 235/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear with 29/31 (warm). That's based on a formula someone on SXOC calculated. They are pretty much right. I'd run about 35 on track, depending on tyre size.
yeah, they're quite firm

I thought the lower the profile, the more pressure required - ie big balloon tyres will run a lower pressure than rubber band tyres as there's more air volume to distribute the weight.

However, I note you run higher pressures on the track than on the road - that's the kind of info I need. Guys on the NZ Silvia site run rediculous pressures - like 40 at the rear etc!? That'll go up to 45 / 46 odd once warm whic is too much IMO. Most seem to run 34-36 which is close to my road pressure. I'm beginning to think more pressure meaning less side wall flex = more grip, less tyre distortion as opposed to lower pressure = more tyre conformation to the road = more grip.

E

Endless

Last time I went to track my pressure on street tires was 40/40 (outside temp. was around 25C), works ok for me, on street I use 33/33

Reaction score
Nicely said:
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showpost.php?p=2186226&postcount=7
ha - yeah I remember reading that months ago.

The main learning here is that people run higher pressures on the track than they do on the road.