Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
OK.
By next seasons I will have an oil cooler installed because I can only do a limited amount of laps on track days before the oil-temp gets out of hands. Just don't know which cooler to go with yet.
I want one with thermostat and gauge takeoffs for Greddy gauges. So I reckon it will have to be one with filter relocation kit as I haven't seen a kit with thermo and gauge takeoffs without filter relocation.

This is one of the options I've considered.

Greddy R-spec NS1010G ---- L299mm x H142.6mm x W50mm

Or
HKS Type-R 15004-AN017

I think the Greddy is bigger though and a tiny bit cheaper.

But I'm not sure if any of the above has gauge take-offs.
Does anyone know?
Where is the filter relocated to with each kit?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I-nearly-bought-a-batty said:
what kind of oil temps do you consider out of hand?
Well, i started to take it easy when I hit 125 degrees C last time on track. Peak reading on that day was 128 degrees C. The oil is supposed to cope with it though (Motul 300V 15W50), But I don't know what else can go wrong.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I have no idea when to let the car cool down.
The guy I bought the oil from said that the similar oil for bikes is pushed very hard on races about 170 degrees C for a extended period of time. But that is racing machines.

I've learnt not to trust stock gauges and I don't know when the water temp starts to go up.
Don't really know what can go wrong either if I let the engine get warmer.

So educate me :)

D

Derek

Driftworks have one for ?235, I'm sure Apex are doing groupbuy on one at moment.

Reaction score
Yakozan said:
I have no idea when to let the car cool down.
The guy I bought the oil from said that the similar oil for bikes is pushed very hard on races about 170 degrees C for a extended period of time. But that is racing machines.

I've learnt not to trust stock gauges and I don't know when the water temp starts to go up.
Don't really know what can go wrong either if I let the engine get warmer.

So educate me :)
My car on the track normally heats the oil up to 110C ish (Castrol formulaR 5-60W) (I'll check my peak readings from last weekend's track day). Water temp normally goes up to 103 - 104C. I idle the car until the oil drops to around 60-70C before turning it off.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
My car on the track normally heats the oil up to 110C ish (Castrol formulaR 5-60W) (I'll check my peak readings from last weekend's track day). Water temp normally goes up to 103 - 104C. I idle the car until the oil drops to around 60-70C before turning it off.
That's strange. I get 110C by just going about 150km/h on the freeway.
Where is your sender located? Mine is on a sandwhich plate next to the oil filter.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I get 110 at 90-100mph (150-160kph). My sender is on the block end of the relocation kit. Pressure is on the filter end.

Reaction score
you guys must drive like pansies :p

my oil temps at my last track day hit 127C and thats in the sandwhich plate on the block. I noticed this has jumped a fair whack since I put step 2 cams in, or its just that I rev it alot harder now :D

On the other side of things, my water temps don't go above 89C on my PFC hand controller thanks to my Koyo radiator

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Mine was a road temp. :)

An interesting fact. Its been proven that having a decent cooling panel, like a Garage Defend, and ensuring your undertray covers right to the bumper has the same effect as fitting an uprated rad - like a Koyo...

Reaction score
Nicely said:
Mine was a road temp. :)

An interesting fact. Its been proven that having a decent cooling panel, like a Garage Defend, and ensuring your undertray covers right to the bumper has the same effect as fitting an uprated rad - like a Koyo...
Yeah I know, I decided to do that exact same test about 3 years ago but I used a piece of carboard and documented the results on the NSCC forums. I used a piece of cardboard and noticed the same result.

Mind you my cardboard cooling panel didn't last long, i lost it somewhere or left it somewhere :eek:

Reaction score
Yakozan said:
That's strange. I get 110C by just going about 150km/h on the freeway.
Where is your sender located? Mine is on a sandwhich plate next to the oil filter.
mine is in the sump plug

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
dcoghlan said:
Yeah I know, I decided to do that exact same test about 3 years ago but I used a piece of carboard and documented the results on the NSCC forums. I used a piece of cardboard and noticed the same result.

Mind you my cardboard cooling panel didn't last long, i lost it somewhere or left it somewhere :eek:
be interested in more details :nod:, need to do the same at the rear, the rear bumper collects stones and is chipping the gel coat/paint work.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I've been informed on NS.com that the Greddy kit has three take-offs for gauges.

I can confirm this when I get the kit home. Just looking for some other stuff too, so might take a while ;)

Reaction score
Ive used the greedy kits on 4 different cars so far and when i find the right s15 ill be using another one! Cant say one bad word about them, they can also be used with defi gauges or greddy. Very easy to fit aswell.