What's new

S16 concept?

S

sillbeers15

After the successful launch of the R35, will Nissan bring back the S16?

In the pic's Japanese, it says: "Nissan Silvia successor model"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Ive heard rumours of another turbo FR sports coupe from Nissan, probably whats been linked to the Silvia family. I think Nissan have been keeping as much under wraps as possible so as not to overshadow the launch of the GT-R in anyway.

S

sillbeers15

I am abit sceptical as the SR20DET is doomed due to OBD VI emissions control requirement in EU and North America.

Besides, it is the Japs that love the high reving 2.0 litre turbo in-line 4 motor such as 4G63, 3S GT-E and SR20DET...all legendary hiper reving motors that have a weight advantage I think the Brits can understand (coming from Lotus lightweight concept)....the rest of the world wishes to please the Yanks with the hunger for displacement!

Therefore the VQ30DE was born then it evolved into VQ35DE and finally VR38DETT....big heavy, slow reving motor.

So from Murano to Tena to Skyline to 350Z to...GTR, all running the VQ family motor. I love the VQ35DE in my murano....but it would kill me to think about slugging it in my S15!

i really don see the S16 having anything decent to power it iwhich the lightweight FR concept of the S13, S14 and S15 had.

We will see!

Reaction score
Country
Yep, i reckon your right. The US market is where the money is so its where they need to please. I have a feeling that the car you showed may be the new lightweight(er) FR coupe concept based on the 350Z not the Silvia. More than likely a V6 again as they are better for emissions.

I think the rumours about the S16 are unfounded imo, and to be honest wouldnt it be better owning the last model of a successfull series of sports cars ? :)

Reaction score
I did hear rumplings on this a little while back about a turbo charged, rear drive 4-pot coupe for around ?18K. And no it's not based on the S platform, but the FM platform same as the 350Z. They won't bring back the S platform as the engine is too far forward. FM stands for front midships (front, mid-engined).

If this is true, which i think it may be, them i'm getting excited.

jp

Reaction score
Website
www.sxoc.com
Country
Top concept drawing looks horrible & any designs I've seen bar one have all looked like a mini-Z. Sure why would you bother with something smaller when your only alternative with Nissan is to buy a Z which is a 2-seater anyway?! If they brought the SX/Silvia line back I'd hope they'd have the good sense to make it a 4-seater middleweight coup? again, regardless of the engine-type.

These are the only info bits I've got on it:
http://www.7tune.com/?p=70
http://www.7tune.com/?p=92

And pics:

Last edited:
P

Pazz

Yep, i reckon your right. The US market is where the money is so its where they need to please. I have a feeling that the car you showed may be the new lightweight(er) FR coupe concept based on the 350Z not the Silvia. More than likely a V6 again as they are better for emissions.

I think the rumours about the S16 are unfounded imo, and to be honest wouldnt it be better owning the last model of a successfull series of sports cars ? :)
If the US market is where the money is then why did Nissan not try and release the S15 in the US then? Or atleast alter its spec to suit the american market? It's not like they altered the entire chassis!!! :nod:

Could it maybe, be more to do with Silbeers idea of that the emissions on the SR20DET and also many other Japanese turbo models are becoming too high for the relevant green markets (EU/North America). Therefore manufacturers are going for bigger displacement, naturally aspirated, less reving motors which in day to day driving put out less emissions???

For example the new 335i BMW engine which is a 3.0Litre Twin Turbo petrol engine only puts out 300bhp. The engine has been flammed in many German car enthusiast board for being ****e. Like all european turbo model cars the manufacturers have limited the boost to help achieve EU restrictions on emissions.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I hope they make an s16. Let's be honest, other than the R35, there is nothing out there that is much chop. I think the 350z just looks overweight.
I hope that no matter what engine they use, it would still stay true to the silvia theme.

S

sillbeers15

Whatever Nissan will call it, I just ask for the following healthy diet ingredients:

1. FR chassis < 1300kg
2. 55:45 F/R weight distribution
3. High reving, turbo charged engine that weights less than 300kg
4. Long bonnet slopy tail coupe
5. reasonable price < JPY5million (so more will be sold and translates to more aftermarket parts will be available later)

G

gunner93

...and affordable too especially in countries that has high protection barrier on CBUs. :cry:

Part of the attraction of the Silvias has been a choiced weapon in the drift events. You cant miss a "S" car in any drift event the world over... and a sexy one too. :nod:

Having observed Ghosn's lead to standardised common architectures in multiple platform for economies of scale, its obvious the VQ is staying for a while.

Thinking about a VQ20VETT in a S16 is already making my pants wet. :rotfl:

If this is so, I can imagine in another 10 years or so, the V6s could very well be a hot motor for after-market mods to support since it is found in many of Nissan's top models coupled with Nissan's keen involvement in motorsports.

...as it is, the S16 will remain but a wish.

Last edited:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I'm pretty sceptical about the rumours about a S16.
If it would be true, then I suspect it will be lesser than the S15.

Something to compete with Mazda MX5 miata or something.
The S15 was close enough to the Z33 performance wise, so I suspect that Nissan might bring a cheap 2 seater (or 2+2) out.

But I doubt that the performance will be on par with the S15 :(
Too close to Z territory.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Interesting indeed, however i feel they may end up 'cocking' it up a tad with the current markets 'every person' requirements.

If you'll notice since the focus was released most cars were based upon this (including things like the CTR, VXR etc) Now i feel the s15 is such an out there design with not a great deal coming close to it in the looks department that by creating the s16 to look similar to a GTR or 350z (as to be honest .. it will) would be a bad thing for the S completely..

And also as for the V6 idea, this would be what Nissan would go for as already said due to emissions but not only that within the last 12months the 350z has been picked up upon by all Japanese tuners as the one to mod and the range of parts / upgrades for the 350z's V6 is unreal!

S

sillbeers15

Lets see what the Jap tunners can come up with the VQ/VR series engine!

In the past, there is only SR20DET and RB26DETT, both received stroked up versions with bigger turbines.

Now there is VQ35HR (3.5 litres), VQ37DE (3.7 litres) and VR38DETT (3.8 litres) and the VR38DETT is some 4x in cost over the RB26DETT!!!

I think the tunners are facing a tough time to tune these engines as the VQ35HR is not really suitable for turbo charging due to the high compression. Turbocharging the VQ37 just brings its performance closer to the stock VR38DETT. Tuning the VR.....hehee, just don blow it...it cost much more.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I'm sure there will be a stack of bolt on bits. But like any major modifications to an engine, it costs money.

jp

Reaction score
Website
www.sxoc.com
Country
Now there is VQ35HR (3.5 litres), VQ37DE (3.7 litres) and VR38DETT (3.8 litres) and the VR38DETT is some 4x in cost over the RB26DETT!!!

I think the tunners are facing a tough time to tune these engines as the VQ35HR is not really suitable for turbo charging due to the high compression. Turbocharging the VQ37 just brings its performance closer to the stock VR38DETT. Tuning the VR.....hehee, just don blow it...it cost much more.
Aha, but you're forgetting the lowly VQ20's that came with the Gloria's/Cedrics, the VQ25DET's that came with the Stagea M35 (currently looking into a conversion with this) & the VQ30DETT's as well! All with the same bottom-end apparently so Nissan knew what they were doing when they developped these blocks. :thumbs:

I'd love to see a VQ20DET/DETT or VQ25DET/DETT in a new SX - it'd be the business & sounds amazing, hence my researching them at the moment.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
You guys are all way off the mak, i managed to get this scoop while at a recent, unadvertised car show..... I think you guys will be impressed...

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
gee the VQ38DETT must be small to fit in the front of that :p