What's new

questions for owners...

P

Pierscoe1

Hi all..

seriously considering getting an S15 in the new-year sometime, and have a couple of unanswered questions...

1) Do they (jap imports) require undersealing of some kind once imported? am I right in thinking that this isn't done in Japan, but is to european cars?

2) what revs is the S15 Spec-R doing in 6th at 80mph?

3) has anyone maxed one out? (standard trim) haven't found a top-speed quoted anywhere?

4) if a car has the fabled 'whiney gearbox' is it actually about to go crunch, or do they whine away for 100k miles ?

5) lastly, anyone know of good places to buy from, apart from Newera/Torque/Futur ??

Many thanks in advance..

very jealous of the lucky few in this country who have one!!

Piers.

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
hey mate welcome to the site first....and for ur quetions most of us can answer them as most of us havent had ours too long either
1 - yes they need underseal once in the uk as they not need in japan much dryer and no salt on roads like the uk
2 - if i rember probely about 3-4k revs cant remember off my head....
3 - as for max speed i am sure its gonna max 130+ easy not gonna mention how much i've done tho... :D
4 - most people wouldnt know how it would be witht hat mileage as most of the ones in the uk are about 50k on average...so they should be fine...
5 - me and topper had some unhappy bit when buying and geting the car we have a forum about it Here
if u search more u will find a lot of good information about buying here....and sure a lot of other will tell u there experience when buying there S15...
but u must make sure u check everything on the car tho....best if u find one thats in the uk u could check it out b4 buying it...anymore questions feel free too ask mate :thumbs:

P

Pierscoe1

thanks for that...

re: "me and topper had some unhappy bit when buying and geting the car so newera are not the best of place on the honest side...."

very interested to hear that, as generally they seem to have a good rep... can you go into what the problems you and topper had were? (feel free to mail off-forum if you prefer)

K

kieran

ha ha top speed, well i like to know this one! had mine showing 150mph on the clock but i dont know how acurate this is :cool:

on my provate race track at the bottom of my garden of course ;)

i must say i found future autos to be good, they were honest straight forward and did a good px deal with my evo :thumbs:

you get to see the cars before any prep work which i like cos you see the reall car not something thats been masked in repairs

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
yeh i would agree much beter to find one which is in the uk so u can check over everything b4 u deicde anything....

S

s15_is_sx

^^^Well auspec s15s are limited to either 240 or 250kmph, jap spec is of course 180kmph.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I've looked into JDM performance figures recently for a forthcoming UK mag feature. JDM 0-60 is 5.6 and JDM top speed is 112mph. :p

Obviously, that's limited. The lower tuned Oz S15 has a listed top speed of 149mph. Going on the performance difference, I'd say the unrestricted JDM top speed is 'at least 155mph'. :)

From what I've heard, I'd recommend against Newera (if you're reading, lads, prove me wrong by taking repsonsibility for you customers complaints). I would personally recommend Torque Imports. :thumbs:

The engine is gently ticking over at 80 in 6th. :)

Welcome BTW :wave:

S

S15R

Nicely said:
Obviously, that's limited. The lower tuned Oz S15 has a listed top speed of 149mph. Going on the performance difference, I'd say the unrestricted JDM top speed is 'at least 155mph'. :)
:mad: :mad: Oz S15s are not de-tuned :(
we have S15 auto exhaust ..... which is much smaller than manual :cry:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Tuning is all about altering specification to improve performance. Putting the shite restrictive Auto or S14 exhaust on a car running high power is detuning. :p Anyone who has owned an S14 and put a decent exhaust on it will know exactly how detuned and restrictive...

M

Meddy

Hi mate. Id like to give a shameless plug (wheres that smilie gone?) to Max at Car Planet in Warrington www.carplanetltd.co.uk. Newera and such are cheaper, but generally with good reason. Just be prepared for a wait for a decent car as they still go like hot cakes at auction.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Welcome mate, good to see your carrying out your homework before buying :thumbs:

Most of the guys on here have had good experiances with importing cars, however there are a few who have not :nod:

Fell free to ask any questions, were a friendly bunch :wave:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Pierscoe1 said:
Hi all..

seriously considering getting an S15 in the new-year sometime, and have a couple of unanswered questions...

1) Do they (jap imports) require undersealing of some kind once imported? am I right in thinking that this isn't done in Japan, but is to european cars?

2) what revs is the S15 Spec-R doing in 6th at 80mph?

3) has anyone maxed one out? (standard trim) haven't found a top-speed quoted anywhere?

4) if a car has the fabled 'whiney gearbox' is it actually about to go crunch, or do they whine away for 100k miles ?

5) lastly, anyone know of good places to buy from, apart from Newera/Torque/Futur ??

Many thanks in advance..

very jealous of the lucky few in this country who have one!!

Piers.
1. I think they have undersealing. But if you're gonna use it during winter I'd recommend getting a better one.

2. Tough one. about 3500-4000 rpm I think.

3. I've only done about 220km/h (135mph) measured with a Ultra digital speed meter (differs from the stock speedo) It had more to give :)

4. The S15 box is famous for being whiney My box whines (hardly noticable) in some gears. Will get new gearbox oil and see if it goes away.

5. I can recommend Jap-City for the import. Very good and very cheap. He mostly uses GBautotrader in Japan who is also very good.
You can choose any car you like and he still charges the same for his time.

I can write a new thread about how I imported my S15 if you like. I did alot of work and research as the initial plan was to do the whole import bit myself.
But I ran into some trouble with Swedish import laws so I had to use a middle hand in the UK.

Best regards

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Yakozan said:
.....Ultra digital speed meter (differs from the stock speedo)
By how much?? I think mine is pretty much on the button :thumbs:

Yakozan said:
...I can write a new thread about how I imported my S15 if you like.
Good Plan mate, would be good for all our new members :nod:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Topper said:
Yakozan said:
.....Ultra digital speed meter (differs from the stock speedo)
By how much?? I think mine is pretty much on the button :thumbs:

Yakozan said:
...I can write a new thread about how I imported my S15 if you like.
Good Plan mate, would be good for all our new members :nod:
In lower velocities it's spot on :thumbs:
But when going over 60-70km/h the stock speedo read different.
When I'm going 100 on the digial, the stock ones read about 110km/h I think the Gap widens as the speed gets higher

Don't know which one to trust.

I'll write up a thread when I get time. I've gotto work a little to ;)

P

Pierscoe1

wow.. thanks everybody! It's great to get such a bunch of informative replies... :)

It'll be my everyday car, so hence I have lots of questions about various ins and outs..

From what I've read so far, they seem pretty tough, with no particular things to be careful of, just the usual car checks that you'd do on any car you'd buy... is there anything I'm missing?

Also, and feel free to ignore this if you want, but I'm wandering how many of you bought your cars outright, as opposed to with a loan ?!?
I just ask as the one's for ?13k are stretching my budget a bit, so I might need a small loan (say ?3k) to fill in the gap... what do you all think about how much an S15 will be worth in say 2 or 3 years?

Thanks again.. all the info is greatly apprecioated!

Piers

P.S. Love this new forum!

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I brought mine stright out but with a nice loan from dad so it means I pay when ever i have money :D
Most will go for a good 12/13k at the moment for a good one mate....

Who knows might lose about 1or2k but no one knows till then mate cant se it losing much price on them tho and theres not a huge lot of them in the uk which mean it keeps it price....

as its so hard to get them in the conutry if they have moddifications so if u would wanna gte one quick it would be advised to get a standard one and modd it urself just like nicely has done...he can point u in the right direction....
as if u get a moddified one it will have to be put back to standard to go throw E-SVA/SVA then MOT......
hope u will get a nice one and join the gang... :thumbs:

if u get one do make sure u underseal it and its done properly not just a cowboy jobby....
do you have a certain colour your looking for mate??

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yakozan said:
In lower velocities it's spot on :thumbs:
I use the GPS on my Snooper. You can't get more accurate, even from a speed gun. :p

I got mine on loan. Circumstances being what they are currently, I should be able to pay it off early.

There's a lovely 8k mile one on Autotrader at the mo for ?24k...

Try A-Plan (Newbury office) for insurance. :nod: