What's new

Sorry guys...

I

ibizatom

... even though I do really like the S15, I simply cannot afford to get one, just simply the cost of the car.

So after doing some research and thinking, I have decided to go for a Skyline R34. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome and the offer of meeting up with a member also! Might have to come along and meet up with a few of you sometime? :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
an r34 gtt may be a little cheaper to buy to begin with, but they are just as dear to insure, more complicated and are dearer on parts - and much heavier.....

but they are still a pretty neat car and wish you the best of luck ;)

I

ibizatom

Insurance was one of the things I had to shop around for, even my current insurer Adrian Flux couldn't get me a good deal, but got a really good deal with Admiral with a multi car quote with another car I drive.

Totally agree on the parts! Been looking around. Just need to save a little longer :). Car is a little heavier yeah, well by 300kg from my Seat Ibiza, but that's not really too much of a problem. :)

My mate is buying a Supra so should be interesting. lol

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
on the tuning front, the supra will have bundles more power obtainable.....the rb neo won't give power up as easily, the supra's engine is a proper monster....i still think the 34gtt is a nice car though, definitely good value for money :)

I

ibizatom

Totally agree!

The power you can get from the Supra engines are simply insane. Standard engine made for 600bhp but tuned down to 300-350 for reliability. Those jap guys know what they are doing! lol.

Tbh, I prefer the look of the 34gtt. Looks more aggressive which is right up my street. Tried it with the Ibiza but it simply don't cut it. lol

Won't be tuning it to start off with. Need to learn how to control RWD and HICAS before all modding begins. Once I know the feel for the car I'll be sorted.

Defiently agree on value for money. For the money you can buy cars these days, simply look at the old jap cars and you can get equal power for cheaper, and in my opinion, same if not better reliability, condition depending on the car. :)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
lock the hicas out - it's apparently horrible on any car it's equipped to ;)

Jay

Reaction score
the r34 was one of the cars i considered when i ended up getting the s15. the daily running costs of the liner are VASTLY greater than the silvia in every department. initial buying costs are not much cheaper than the silvia (for a good clean standard car with low mileage £6 to £8k) and reliability is always gonna be worse than the silvia. ask any owner and the story is nearly always the same.... skyline ownership is very expensive.

after saying that, its an iconic monster of a car and if i could afford to run one then i would have one in a heartbeat!!!

I

ibizatom

Currently I spend around £50 a week on fuel so if anything the fuel bill will go up a bit but not much. Plus being able to drive another car to and fro from work should help with keeping the costs down, but if I wanted to keep the costs down, I wouldn't be buying a r34. lol.

Also with the car being near standard, it shouldn't be too bad when on fuel when driving it about, only when the right foot gets planted.

I'm getting the car now as in 3 years time I plan to move out so then the car might/will have to go. Going to have some fun now (despite this so called recession ) and live a little. :)

Jay

Reaction score
i test drove the r34 and to be honest the standard model i drove felt slow and heavy. the s15 is 300kg lighter and 20bhp more as standard. couple that with the skyline's far greater running costs, the s15's far better looks and the choice was easy for me.

I

ibizatom

Cool.

We currently my Ibiza can do a 0-60 in 6 seconds (at santa pod). R34GTT on paper is 6.2, so should be very similar to what I am driving now. Also with the ibiza being maxed out tuning wise before spending silly money on 50bhp, I feel that moving up in cars is the best thing.

As for BHP, I read that the Spec R comes with 250bhp, where at the r34gtt come with 280, but gets over 300 on the rolling road?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
you sure it's not the rb26 that comes with 280 and rolls out at a fair whack more....?

japans gentlemans agreement between manufacturers meant that they would only advertise cars at 276bhp whether they produced more or not :)

I

ibizatom

Just found this from a Skyline forum

The GT-T is rear wheel drive 2.5 litre single turbo (RB25DET) and the GT-R is a four wheel drive 2.6 litre twin turbo (RB26DETT). Both outputs are claimed to be 280 bhp (this is actually inaccurate, the GT-R is 320 bhp in real life!). The GT-T has NEO variable valve lift timing and both cars come equipped with excellent HICAS 4-wheel steering and the same leather trimmed steering wheel. The GT-T runs on 225/17's section tyres, the GT-R runs on 245/18's. The GT-T has big sized Nissan manufactured calipers with excellent stopping power. The GT-R has racing Brembo calipers and huge stopping power. The GT-R has a nice computer multi-function display showing torque, power, oil temperature, boost pressure, etc. etc. The GT-T has simply 3 analogue dials show oil temperature, boost pressure and battery voltage. The GT-R having a 6-speed box and the GT-T a five speed unit. The GT-R has wider bodied wings and a big front mounted intercooler with aggressive front spoiler. The GT-T makes do with a much more toned down front bumper with a smaller sized intercooler.

Basically, both cars come from the same ***65533;gene pool' but both are different to drive. I should know since I drove both cars back to back on the same day one after the other.
Interesting on the japans gentlemans agreement. Knew it was something like that but didn't know for sure. Thanks for posting. :)

Jay

Reaction score
i understood the 2.5 to have around 230ish bhp. that is what the r33 gtst came with and its the same engine.....

I

ibizatom

Weird.

Going from a few websites, they all seem to say that the RB25 GTT has 280bhp as standard.

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124946

Well as per Ian H's website www.gtt.co.uk the car is a standard 280bhp when produced, help the engine to breathe better front and back and this has to raise the output anywhere between 20-40bhp so perhaps it is now running between 300-320bhp and this is without any ECU or boost modifications so yes, I do think your target of 350bhp is achievable.
from http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/15749-r34-gtt-any-good.html

But the you mention the R33 GTST which is Power : 250 - 255 BHP and Torque : 215 - 220 ft-lbs

Jay

Reaction score
fair enough then, im pretty sure the r33 had 230ish, but if im wrong then apologies for the incorrect info. i had a 210bhp civic type r that was quicker than the r33gtst, and as i said, previously drove the r34gtt and wasnt impressed by the power, so assumed it was similar to the 33. it sure didnt feel like 280!!!

anyhow, if you are happy with the car, what does it matter about the figures? its about the driveability at the end of the day.....

I

ibizatom

No need to apologize. lol

As for the civic, its smaller and lighter so I would of guess it would as quick if not quicker. But then again the r34gtt could of not been running right? Who knows?!?

I'm not about chasing numbers. It's more about the action of the car a whole. After reading quite a few threads, people are going for around the 350bhp mark but making the car more responsive. Quite a lot of people seem to be impressed with that so might down that route as well.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I've got the RB25DET NEO in my Stagea RS... it's definitely 280 bhp which is the power you get from an R34 GTT (same engine etc).

I think the older non-NEO RB25DET from R33 is around 260 bhp as far as I can remember :)

Reaction score
Country
here in japan, in order for the auto manufacturers to legally sell their cars as passenger vehicles, they can only have 280hp or less, anything more would be considered a track/offroad vehicle, therefore not street legal. So what the manufacturers did was was basically detune their motors, and made the intake and exhaust really restrictive, just to get the hp below 280. After a few simple mods, it'll easily hit 350+. toyota did the same thing for the supra.

so if see any japanese cars advertised close to the 280 mark, chances are it's capable of a whole lot more..
if it's advertised around the 250 mark or below, chances are your not going to get much more without extensive mods.

Last edited: