What's new

Speed Awareness Courses

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Has anyone attended one of these courses to avoid penalty points on their licence? Yes, I got busted yesterday... in my Punto!

I was told at the road-side to not pay the £60 fine or they'll give me the points automatically, but the cop on the desk at Oxford said I need to pay the fine and then I'll get a course..? Just looking online now for more info but can't find anything. Not good as I leave for Kenya at 8.30am tomorrow. :down:

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
Dude I havent heard anything about this before and to be honest I dont think their is such a thing =/ its a fixed penelty of £60 and 3 Points you cant get out of it unless its a camera if they wrote on the ticket 3 points thats what your going to get or more if you take it to court :) the joys of your last day eh! lol

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'm not sure if it's different in Scotland but there definately is this down here. If you get caught going 'just over' the limit they offer you a course. I was doing 41 in a 30 which is borderline on automatically geting the points so I've been told.

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
saying that I was done at 47 in a 30 which they said 2 more mph and it would of been dangerous driving :wack: lol Kind of hard your away tomorrow though you could jump into your local station and ask them just pray you dont get a d*ck that wants your cash lol

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I had to drive 185 miles today to get the paper part of my licence or I'd "forefit my right to be on the course and get a summons to court"!! What a joke. What if you get busted on the way to the airport prior to your 2 week summer holiday? What are you supposed to do then?!

Reaction score
Country
thats pretty harsh for 11 over, i got snapped just past stonehenge doing 110mph in my old 190e and all i got was 3 points and a £60 fine, no court summons or anything like that.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
My mate has done this course (he is actually a copper as well lol..) he got snapped at 34 in a 30, you are very lucking getting off with 3 points and getting the course. I got caught doing 38 in a 30 and I asked if I could take the course and they said no :(

the course is easy, its just telling you how to such eggs..

On another note I got caught doing a average of 98.8 mph on the way to Scotland and I had to go to court and got 5 points and stung for £400 fine! :(

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
you guys are lucky compaired to over here. It is absolute crap. if you get caught doing 30kph over it's an instant 3 month holiday from driving. 45kph over is 6 months and a court date and then there is the fines :(

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Craig,

I've done one mate. Usually if you are just over the limit, I was done for 68 in 60 by a static Camera van, I think if you get stopped by a copper by the roadside the process is slightly different however as I never had a producer?

If you got a fixed penalty ticket, pay the fine and then surrender your license if they ask you to, then they will write to you if you are allegeable for the course, if not then you'll just get the 3points instead. To do the course it cost me £80 rather than the £60 fine however I thought it was worth it to avoid the 3pts on my license.

The course is approx 3-4hrs an is actually quite good, just for the comic value.. Some of the people on the course are amazing, like the lady that thought the dual carriageway speed limit was 30mph... (instructor told her that she was probably the reason the rest of the peopl were here, as we all got £&@&£ off sitting behind her!! :D)

ALS

ALS

Has anyone attended one of these courses to avoid penalty points on their licence? Yes, I got busted yesterday... in my Punto!

I was told at the road-side to not pay the £60 fine or they'll give me the points automatically, but the cop on the desk at Oxford said I need to pay the fine and then I'll get a course..? Just looking online now for more info but can't find anything. Not good as I leave for Kenya at 8.30am tomorrow. :down:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Sorry Craig but....:rotfl:
Haha! What are you on about?! Punto's are.. :cool:

he got snapped at 34 in a 30
They did him at 34? That's a bit of a joke I think. I was told the cut off speed for the course varies from area to area.

you guys are lucky compaired to over here. It is absolute crap. if you get caught doing 30kph over it's an instant 3 month holiday from driving. 45kph over is 6 months and a court date and then there is the fines :(
Generally, if you get caught 50kph / 30mph over the limit here, it usually results in a 12 month ban unless you manage to pleed to the courts that you need to drive for work etc. Lesser offences normally carry a fine with points.

If you got a fixed penalty ticket, pay the fine and then surrender your license if they ask you to, then they will write to you if you are allegeable for the course, if not then you'll just get the 3points instead.
Cool, this is what I've done. I wrote a letter with the cheque saying I wanted to do the course and was told I am eligible so hopefully they will offer me one. :)

I know I will be lucky to get away with the course. It's only 11mph over, but that is about 35% over the limit which is a fair bit I suppose..

I was caught by a copper with a speed gun at 221m away. He didn't have a Hi-Vis jacket on, no cop car in sight and no camera warning signs. If I get the points then so be it. It'll just be annoying having to declare it to insurance for the next 5 years, even if it doesn't do much to the premium.

:furious:

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got 3pts as well too, and has done nothing to my premium.. Don't think they care too much unless you have 2+ speeding offences..

It'll just be annoying having to declare it to insurance for the next 5 years, even if it doesn't do much to the premium.

:furious:

Reaction score
When they send out the NIP, they send you a letter with it saying that they are offering you the course (well, mine did anyway). I went online and registered for the course. It cost just over £60 (but is dependent on where you want to take the course), and then you turn up for 4 hours - then no points.....but you can only do this once in 3 years.

HTH