What's new

thinking of heading to OZ

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
Thinking of heading out to OZ. Feck all work here & i've come across 2 jobs, 1 in brisbane/gold coast the other is the mines in victoria/tasmania. What are these areas like to live/work? Gona have to do something to allow me to do electrical work over there & sort working holiday visa. leaning towards the mines really as its regional so can allow me to get a 2nd year. what you aussie guys reckon?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
make sure you think it through a lot mate - i've had a couple of sponsorship offers to go and work on australian railways (apparently they are really short of techs over there) and have always been too worried about it to seriously consider it. its a massive thing. 3 guys from my work have gone out there, 1 to retire, 2 to work. one of the guys that went to work came back, the other 2 love it :)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I've thought about it too and my GF would be well up for it but we would have to visit and research a massive amount first. Would be so strange though going somewhere where you know literally no-one!

Edit: I wonder how much it costs to import a car from UK to Aus!?

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
There are many things to consider. A trip over here would be the best way to see if you like it here or not. There are plenty of jobs, especially in mining, or any trades really, electricians, plumbers and the like. It just depends on what you do and where you want to live. Obviously, money has a big bearing on this too. If you want any more info, let me know.

@Dean: Yes the railways are very short of people.

@Craig: You wouldn't import a car, just take the good bits off yours and put them on another one when you get here. You would definately want to bring the aero bar. lol.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Me and the family wanted the move to oz but we don't have enough point to make the move unfortunately. Only way for us to get in is for a company to sponsor me which is a big ask.. (I'm in telecoms)..

Been to oz 3 times now and love It. Meddler helped me with a lot when we first started looking in to it, good guy..

Last edited:

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Sorry to read this Stephen :(

My dad made the move from FLS to Ryanair, they're not actually too bad to work for apparently and it's better than the alternative!

Oh & don't worry I'll take good care of your S15 until you get back :wack:

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
we need a good wash every now and again!

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
as if it wasn't warm enough as is, they have this big bush fires in summer to keep everybody warm too ;)

Reaction score
but that's why we have floods,to put out the bush fires.

If any of you guys know how to play cricket we have a job for you here :nod:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
PMSL! :rotfl:

It's true though: the fires and floods are there to keep the deadly snakes and spiders under control... :nod: Or maybe it's to keep the number of illegal immigrants under control. I believe the highest proportion are British...

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
If any of you guys know how to play cricket we have a job for you here :nod:
good sense of humour lol :)

was it delboy that once said to an aussie guy 'if you're great grandparents weren't villains - you could of been one of us' - personally, i wish my grandparents were villains, then i wouldn't be living on this dreary little island....

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I fell in love with oz years ago, just wish we could make the move...

So if any telecoms company's are reading this from Oz and needs an Avaya telecoms engineer, drop me a PM ;)

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
Really at this moment in time i'm just looking at getting money in the bank & build up working experience. I'm not thinking of a permanent move just yet but its not out of the question really. If I really liked it I would look into a permanent move. I have nothing here tying me down so its as good a time as any. The likes of the mines would appeal to me. Good money & feck all chance to spend any of it. Also counts as a regional job so I'd qualify for a 2nd year visa if I wanted. I'd reckon there will be plenty of jobs when these flood waters reside. Lots of rebuilding to be done

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
Me and the family wanted the move to oz but we don't have enough point to make the move unfortunately. Only way for us to get in is for a company to sponsor me which is a big ask.. (I'm in telecoms)..

Been to oz 3 times now and love It. Meddler helped me with a lot when we first started looking in to it, good guy..
Hey steve, The points system has been changed as of the start of July. you should check if it is any different for you & the family now.

S

ste

if your thinking of comming over , its worth comming for a month or so for a holiday , see if you like what you see , get to know the area you want to be based in
if your going to go mineing are you going FIFO (fly-in-fly-out) ? there's a lot of differant shift patterens as well , ie 3 weeks on one week off .
that was our intension when we came out here , but we decided to take local jobs so we can get to know the area we live in a bit more ..........
importing a car; yes do it , wish we imported the wife's tt , but we did'nt as they're mmm slightly more expensive here
oh come in the summer as well , as doing an english winter and now the aus winter really sucks , when it rains , it rains !! yep we've only been here since april

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
they are quite tasty though.....