What's new

Metal fabricator required!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Does anyone have the above skills?! I need a couple of simple brackets making from 3mm steel. Just one flat plate with a hole in it, and another small plate TIG welding to it at 90 degrees.

Will exchange for beer tokens, of course :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Top secret I'm afraid mate :p

Not really. I want to fit a pair of bonnet lifting struts so I can make myself a smooth cooling panel and do away with the bonney stay and the clips that hold it in place. Couldn't find a S15 kit so had to get a S14 one but it appears our hinges are somewhat different to S14 ones.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i bought a set of those and they wouldn't of needed much work but i didnt have the time and patience at the time so sold them. if you get it sorted mate, will you let me know? pretty please....;)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah sure. I will get it done - just need someone who can make them for me. If I cant find someone on here or SXOC then I know a company that will make them and will get a few sets made :)

I think it'll look really smart without the bonnet stay and clips. Original too, especially with a smooth cooling panel.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
damn you, that would mean i'd need another cooling panel lol.......what will you be using instead of the original catch? aerocatches???

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
No sorry, didn't make that bit very clear. I'm going to keep the origial catch. Just going to remove the unnecesarry studs from the slam panel and make a panel that is carbon all the way through - which was my original intention when starting the GB a long time ago!

Humm, I think I might know where you could get another panel from if you want one ;)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i'm sure lol. you should open a club shop mate - that way anyone that wants s15 specific bits wont have far to look.....

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
hmm. Interesting, have you sent the box already? :p By any chance have you drawn up any dimensions yet? I am thinking about asking one of my sheetie mates to make some stuff for me.

would anyone be interested in gas struts for the boot as well? I have been contemplating this for a while too.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
i'm sure lol. you should open a club shop mate - that way anyone that wants s15 specific bits wont have far to look.....
It has been talked about :)

As for the boot struts.. TBH I've not thought about this at all as the boot springs do an ok job. Now you mention it though, it would be nice. Would need to look into sourcing some lower pressure struts as the bonnet ones take my whole 12 stone weight to compress each one. Seems a lot but but maybe it isn't when you think about where they attach on the bonnet hinge combined with the weight of the bonnet.

Reaction score
Craig i might be able to sort u out thats a might. Have a cnc plasma cutter in work. Its very good at cutting out any shape of metal you like! just need it drawn on cad. O and some skilled welders! wouldn't it be worth bending the material through 90 degrees instead of welding (save welding). Would this work?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, I know what you mean and it is a good idea. The reason I wanted it welding is because I want to transfer that part of the original bracket because it has a ball type thing on it that the strut attaches to. It's really hard to explain! I've found a guy on SXOC that says he can make them so I sent the drawings and he reckons it'll be no problem :) If he can't I'll be in touch though Al :)