Toyota Hilux

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Looking into getting an old Toyota Hilux pickup (Ute to you Aussies :p ) as a second vehicle to keep the mileage down on the 15.

Anyone had any experience with these and got any buying advice. Please don't suggest a 4x4, cos I can't stand them and prefer the flexibility of the flat bed. I already know I'm not going to get luxury... :p

M

Meddy

I used to have one of these as a company car. It was ok. Surpsingly good really. The one I had was old and had about 140k on the clock, but other than burning a bit of oil was absolutely bombproof. I used to carry all sorts of heavy equipment around in it as well. It was decent enough to drive and was pretty civilised cruising up and down the motorway. Just remember when it comes to corners it wont go round them like the 15. ;)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I recently drove a Vauhxall Montero (name could be wrong) and i wouldnt buy any 4x4 now after driving it, had scary amounts of bodyroll :eek: , mind you it did have around 140k on the clock (that miles for you none UK folks)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Well, I've got one lined up. An 86 2 litre petrol with 98k on the clock. One owner from new and fairly tidy paintwork for the age. Got a tow bar too. :) Needs a replacement seat though...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Was going to, until I drove one. Nearly fell asleep between gears....

Its not a cost saving exercise. Just wanted something with 4WD to chuck miles onto and a good amount of versatility. Diesel would have been better, but I couldn't live with being overtaken by tractors...

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I have a 115bhp diesel focus and to be honest i think its great, loads of torque and is brilliant for overtaking.

But if your happy i'm happy :ghey:

F

FLY 200

Nicely said:
Looking into getting an old Toyota Hilux pickup (Ute to you Aussies :p ) as a second vehicle to keep the mileage down on the 15.

Anyone had any experience with these and got any buying advice. Please don't suggest a 4x4, cos I can't stand them and prefer the flexibility of the flat bed. I already know I'm not going to get luxury... :p

hey we invented the ute down here in aussie, when you get one let us know and ill send u a cattle dog for the bag, you are gonna have to buy him the ear warmers though :cool:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
FLY 200 said:
Nicely said:
hey we invented the ute down here in aussie, when you get one let us know and ill send u a cattle dog for the bag, you are gonna have to buy him the ear warmers though :cool:
I know. I grew up in Oz and have vivid memories of sitting in the back of Utes. Hate to admit it, but I really fell in love with the current ultra cool Utes from Holden and Ford when I was over in Jan/Feb this year.... :notworthy:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
?1850 +VAT (will be claimed back :D ).

96k (miles) on the clock. Big, but manageable. Needs a decent 3 inch exhaust and tubular mani. :p Also needs some chunky tyres to give the 4WD some meaning. :nod:

Got a tornneau cover and DAB head unit on the way...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The whole purpose was to avoid that. When you drive 80 miles each day to get to and from work, you need something to make sure you make it in all weathers. :)

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
great point i only drive less than 3miles hahah work is 5minutes from my hse hehe :D
thats why i needed something very cheap and dont have to be nices.........
if i was driving the S15 all the time to work the turbo would get warm then i get there not too good really...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its not what I'd describe as nice inside. :p Agricultural is how I'd describe it! However, looking to get some of these and put some carpet in....