What's new

Opinions on the Honda S2000

G

Ger Keane

Hey lads,
Just wondering what people on heres opinion on the S2000 is.
The last few months ive been thinking about getting one.
do you think it suffers from the same image the MX5 has as being a 'hairdressers car'??
Ive never had a Honda so would appreciate peoples opinion that have a bit of experience with Hondas.
The prices have dropped an awful lot in the last few months so im thinkin its a good time to buy.
All opinions good and bad i appreciate! :)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Why not buy another S15?

that being said the S2000's are pretty quick in a straight line. There are a lot of good bits you can buy for them. Parts will be expensive being a Honda. I suppose they are like an MX5 on steroids. I personally don't think of them as a hairdressers car, but it may be different in other parts of the world.

B

BOOSTED

very good cars, a bit impractical but awesome none the less.

compared to an s15, it's handling is miles ahead.

powerwise, dont expect a huge kick of torque that you'd get from a turbo, it only has around 208Nm and at around 7500rpm!

that's not to say they're not quick, they'll do the same 0-100 as an s15, you just have to get use to a car that has it's powerband very high, it pretty much starts where an s15 would start to drop off. Keep it in the rev band and it will offer you an experience that no other car (in that sort of price range) will, there's something sweet about reving a 4 cyclinder to 9000rpm, it will make you forget about turbos :D

The only thing is if you want to start modifying it, that's where you'll start to feel a little short changed, because the f20c in the s2000 is already very refined from the factory that trying to get more power out of it can be difficult. It's not like a turbo car where slapping on an exhaust system will give you 20rwkw's, with the s2000 you'll probably get up going backwards in performace. The only real way that you can add serious numbers is with forced induction.

reliability wise you wont have a problem mechanically with hondas, that make they're engines good, especially there vtec ones.

anyway I've written all this because I was looking at s2000's after I sold my civic but I decided to get an s15 because I wanted a car with more torque and with 5 seats :D

Last edited:
D

dohc2002

im in tyhe same boat as yourself i am dying to get an S2000 driving a EP3 Type R at the moment but miss the old RWD but i defo have a thing for S15s too.Whenever i shift mine i am going to be either or.
Was looking at Dizzs S15 there it sweet!

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
hmm the s2k, a.k.a the real Touge Monster.

There is no doubt about it, the S2000 is one of the best handling RWD cars ever made, It would destroy an s15 round a track on that alone, In regards to power tho.. the 2 Stage Vtec although impressive compared to the k20 out the EP3 and DC5 (As technically the F20 is the same engine) its still nothing to compare against the SR20DET.. As vtec sounds great, but torque is what makes a car fast.

I remember driving an S2K for the first time in the wet, As i was going to get one.. And you can ask many an owner it sings a song something like.. "GRIP GRIP GRIP VTEC SPIN".. An S2K Is NOT a drift car.. Its a Touge Car. (Just for refrence)

As for being tar'd by the MX5 Brush.. There is always someone that will say the S2K is gay.. however, they probally drive something exciting and manly.. like a Scooby.. or something else with 4WD Life support and 5 Doors, So their opinon is invalid.

An S2K is a car i WILL own in the future, There is a reason it cannot be beaten by the pro's in Japan.. I would even go out on a whim here.. and say, Possibly one of the best car's honda have ever made.

D

dohc2002

hmm the s2k, a.k.a the real Touge Monster.

There is no doubt about it, the S2000 is one of the best handling RWD cars ever made, It would destroy an s15 round a track on that alone, In regards to power tho.. the 2 Stage Vtec although impressive compared to the k20 out the EP3 and DC5 (As technically the F20 is the same engine) its still nothing to compare against the SR20DET.. As vtec sounds great, but torque is what makes a car fast.

I remember driving an S2K for the first time in the wet, As i was going to get one.. And you can ask many an owner it sings a song something like.. "GRIP GRIP GRIP VTEC SPIN".. An S2K Is NOT a drift car.. Its a Touge Car. (Just for refrence)

As for being tar'd by the MX5 Brush.. There is always someone that will say the S2K is gay.. however, they probally drive something exciting and manly.. like a Scooby.. or something else with 4WD Life support and 5 Doors, So their opinon is invalid.

An S2K is a car i WILL own in the future, There is a reason it cannot be beaten by the pro's in Japan.. I would even go out on a whim here.. and say, Possibly one of the best car's honda have ever made.

Hmmm why is it so hard to choose after that post making even harder.In opinon the s2000s look nicer standard and my cars usual stay pretty standard so prob go with that.Even if its a touge it could be still good for a diff here and there im sure

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
No, Not really. The set up is so perfect on them that it dosnt like drifting. As said, if you ask around from people (Check driftworks) everyone will tell you.. S2K Is a grip car, not a drift car. If you want a drifter go s15.. its what its made for, not an S2K :)

Just some helpful information mate.

D

dohc2002

Ah i know what you mean like,its defo great handling just nice for a change ,my biggest mistake was going back to fwd.Few little slides here and there is what i looking for i think

G

Ger Keane

No, Not really. The set up is so perfect on them that it dosnt like drifting. As said, if you ask around from people (Check driftworks) everyone will tell you.. S2K Is a grip car, not a drift car. If you want a drifter go s15.. its what its made for, not an S2K :)

Just some helpful information mate.
Thanks mint, i have learned a lot from this thread!
so can u not even ar$e out an S2000 around a roundabout???
I had a spec S which was obviously lacking a lot in power but it was still easy to get it to step out around roundabouts and the like!

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Yeah you could.. but Its not fun.. Its not fun like the s15, the s15 steps out and you can either hold it in a slide or let it come back, with the s2k it takes more effort, on the edge kinda thing.. and if you go into tek there's a higher chance it'll spin you off into a ditch than slide like a dori dori D1 driver.

Thing is .. its like an MR2, I always put it this way.. Its like Killing someone with a spoon, It can be done.. but it would be easier with a knife.

The s15 is just a perfect OEM set up for drifting.

Reaction score
most powerful engine for a na engine 2liters i think 120hp/L!!!

Reaction score
Country
There is no doubt about it, the S2000 is one of the best handling RWD cars ever made, It would destroy an s15 round a track on that alone
If it is a tight track then yes, otherwise I think the s15 will put up quite a bit of fight, s15 can be setup for track too you know, s15 is good for drifting but they dont only drift, they are plenty of track s15s that can whoop track s2ks (turbo or na) but that's another story

My friend has an s2k and after sitting in his, my main question to you is, can u live with it?

Heck I dont even know how to open the door on his s2k (at night and first time sitting in one)

The window is small so there's little to no light from the outside, there's not much room inside the interior, seats are not comfy, the list goes on...

Best is to go test drive an s2k before committing, revving 9k might sound fun the first time, not for everytime, and remember driving a torqueless car can be painful at times. And let's not forget sitting at 3.5k rpm at 100km/h at 6th gear...

It's a very good car, but if you are not dedicated, you will be put off with it

D

dohc2002

Him well i drive an Ep3 Type R myself so used to the 9k rev limit and not much torque but still quick little cars.Eh i know what you are saying about it being small and i would have to be commited.
I dont know what it is?
I think its the 9k rev limit with great handling,great looking car that in the rare event its sunny i can take down the roof and enjoy the vtecing lol.Also its the Honda reliabilty too like.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
If it is a tight track then yes, otherwise I think the s15 will put up quite a bit of fight, s15 can be setup for track too you know, s15 is good for drifting but they dont only drift, they are plenty of track s15s that can whoop track s2ks (turbo or na) but that's another story

My friend has an s2k and after sitting in his, my main question to you is, can u live with it?

Heck I dont even know how to open the door on his s2k (at night and first time sitting in one)

The window is small so there's little to no light from the outside, there's not much room inside the interior, seats are not comfy, the list goes on...

Best is to go test drive an s2k before committing, revving 9k might sound fun the first time, not for everytime, and remember driving a torqueless car can be painful at times. And let's not forget sitting at 3.5k rpm at 100km/h at 6th gear...

Indeed, No doubt about it the s15 can indeed be set up perfect for track. Take the Sunline s15 for example, Setting straight tie's on Tsukuba.

However Iam basing my opinon on the Touge. The reason for this is because of the one and only rule. "Brakehorse Power means nothing" - Its a true test on a car's abilty to perform on uphill, downhill, twisty, snaky style roads and really show's the car's true abilty instead of just a track or a straight line.

And when it comes to the Japanese Touge - There is no car faster than the S2000. Drift Spec, Track Spec and even a lame ass Rally Spec s15 have gone up against S2000's, Amuse, Spoon and J's and been beaten.

Although on this note tho I would be interested to see the Sunline s15 take on the J's Racing Touge Monster. That would be a good battle. However.. Its not a common event for the J's Racing to loose....

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Oh and remember I dont want to slate the s15.. After all, I do drive one :p and chose one over an S2000, And i dont regret it in the slightest. One day tho, I will own an s2000 :)

Reaction score
Country
Oh okay... since u wanna compare to touge....

Kei Office S15 vs KSP Engineering NSX on Touge Max 1st round

Amuse which is the so-called Touge Monster 300 class was having a hard time keeping up with the s15 and ksp eng nsx...

OH and I have seen that lame ass rally spec s15 - yellow black colour right? lol yeah it got its arse handed to it.

However, a well setup s15 such as kei office (or take champ s14 for example), they are very fast touge car :)

S2K... I would take a z33 anyday :) Roomier, torquier, more luxurious...

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
NSX? lol Whats that got to do with the S2k? Totally differant car :p - Which episode did the Amuse s2k have a hard time keeping up with the s15? I dont recall and wouldnt mind seeing it.

Yeh thats the one lol.. It looked sooo lame :p - Dont get me wrong tho, the Kei office set up is great, good on the touge.. but if you compare it to an equal set up on the s2k.. it will loose.. fact.

A z33? lol, But if were going into a car thats bigger, more torque and more luxory.. then the s15 + S2k is out the window and would be pwnd by a JZX110.. cant beat that in any of the above catogories however its not in topic here ;)

G

Ger Keane

Well i had a mk1 MX5 for a year and a half and i lived with that so practicality wise it should be ok. It cant have less boot space than my Mx5 had!

And i am thinking along the lines of Mint, i loved my S15 but i like to try new things aswell so i think an S2000 for a year would be good, nothing to say i wont go back to ana S15 after that!