What's new

More developments on Nissan's compact, RWD coupe

Reaction score

"According to company insiders with whom we've spoken, Nissan has been working on its own compact, rear-wheel-drive vehicle for over three years, and the announcement from Toyota and Subaru about their own RWD coupe has caused Nissan to ramp-up development.

Details on the new vehicle are still scarce, but BestCar is reporting that Nissan is planning to utilize a shortened version of the Z's FM platform powered by either a naturally aspirated 2.0-liter or possibly a 1.6- or 1.8-liter turbocharged four. According to the Japanese pub, the successor to the S15 Silvia will be approximately 4,350 mm long, 1,750 mm wide and share the same wheelbase as the Z. Like the Subaru/Toyota vehicle, Nissan is attempting to keep the curb weight low, along with the price.

While the NA 2.0-liter is one possible form of motivation, Nissan is supposedly working on a new, direct-injection four-cylinder that could make use of Nissan's Variable Compression Ratio (VCR) system. Partnered with a small, efficient turbo, power could be anywhere 140hp returning the fuel-economy of a smaller NA mill to 300 hp on a Spec-R,

The Subaru/Toyota coupe is expected to debut in 2011, but Nissan wants to beat its competitor's offering to market, so expect the return of the Silvia to bow in late 2010.

[Source: BestCar via 7tune.com]"

Pictures still the similar to previous threads so its getting more likely this is coming like this. Would think it would be UK car too...

:thumbs::down::confused:

Someone want to photoshop a Spec R? :nod:

P

Pazz

You can see how the pic above uses the Z platform because the windows and roof line are very similar to the 350Z. The pic is most likely a photoshopped 350Z. But I cant see it looking anything like a S15 if they are using the Z platform for a chassis.

Reaction score
Aero bumper+skirts and filled grill would go a long way :)

P

Pazz

I'm not that good but managed to lower it and fill the grill in.

I'm just not that keen on the lights....so heres one I did a while back. Racery grills removed and lights changed a bit.

If I'm honest though, I dont think its gonna look like this at all. This is definetly a photoshopped 350Z and the picture has been around for years. The magazine that is shown above was found on google and the article was dated 2001 afair.

Reaction score
Hybrid S16

more developments...and starting to look better regardless of engine concept this S16 certainly has more going for it with a GTR esc front end. I can imagine the production one looking pretty cool now; blend the wings, GTR/350 combined rear and got rid of concept car features..:thumbs:

Up until now, it's been assumed that Nissan's rumored re-entry into the compact, RWD market would be with a small-displacement engine would be mounted up front, possibly fitted with a turbocharger. But according to a report by Drive.com.au, Nissan is actively considering a hybrid drivetrain to power its Silvia replacement.

The Aussie automotive news outlet spoke with Junichi Endo, Nissan's senior vice president of global marketing, who said that the automaker is trying to strike a balance between "fuel economy and driving pleasure," and that a hybrid-powered sports car has a "50-50" shot at production. However, the fate of such a vehicle hinges on the hybrid sports coupe's marketability.

Nissan maintains that if such a vehicle gains the affection of consumers, an all-electric sports car is the next logical step.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
looks ****

i got all the up to date info in a mag i just bought from Japan with ALL the new Japanese coup's, New RX7, New Lexus Super Coop, New S2k, New s16, New Hynundia Coop, New IS-F Style 3 DOOR coop ****

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
coolio will do :p imo tho, that 'update' looks shockinly bad, im aware the 350z was a nice design and probally sold well, but they need to move away from this design all together i think...

G

gunner93

Some interesting speculation to contribute ...

April 24, 2008
Start counting now!
I am not going to divulge my source, but I have it on VERY GOOD authority that Nissan HQ have signed off on the next generation Silvia. Now that the GT-R is out, and the next Z is weeks away from release "the next big project is the '16'" I was told.
So here's the scoop:
  • On sale in 2010
  • Expect it to cost round Y3,000,000 ($A30,000)
  • The car will be a Front-Engine/Rear-Drive configuration
  • It will be relatively light. Expect it to be around 1300Kg (dry)
  • It will be powered by a turbocharged 4 cylinder engine. This engine is almost done, and is targeting 170-180KW on around 1bar of boost. Unlike one magazine reported recently, it will not be the engine from the Renault Clio Sport. However, it is very likely this engine will end up in a future Clio or Megane...
  • Transmission will be a traditional 6-speed manual. Developing the dual clutch system (which would offer semi-automatic operation of the GT-R or next gen Z) has been deemed too expensive. Maybe in the S17...
  • A CVT auto is very likely as well.
  • The suspension is derived from the Z, but re-rated to suit the lower mass.
  • Most of the interior is borrowed from other Nissan models, but the instrument cluster will resemble the GT-R.
  • Appearance-wise, I don't have much news. It's not the Foria. it will be similar in size to the S15, but will be more "flowing" like the Z and V36 Skylines. However, it will be unmistakably a Silvia (I'm betting on it looking like a 21st-century S13)
  • The name will be Silvia on the domestic market. However, since in Australia and Europe "SX" has a credible brand presence, expect the 200SX badge to return.
The big point is this is not going to a baby-Z or the like, it's herritage is pure Silvia.
So what can we do? As a community, let's get behind Nissan and make this car happen. Contact the sales program manager at your local Nissan subsidiary POLITELY and tell them how much you want the new Silvia to be a reality. Let's all be grown-ups and it might just become a reality.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
can't wait for this one. I doubt it would be as cheap as A$30000. I would expect it to be in the $45000 bracket if it got to Aus. If it does come true, I would seriously be looking at getting one. (obviously it's looks would be the final determination)

Nicely might have to update the forum name: www.s15/s16oc.com :nod:

Last edited:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
it would have to be more than that. I can't see a car like that being so cheap.