What's new

Q for the oz lads?

S

s15andy.s

whats it like to live in oz?was thinkin of movin there this time nxt year to see if id get some work.. im a qualified carpenter but the building boom is slowing down here in ireland:(..is there much work in oz??:eek:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
There is always work for good tradesmen. We actually have a trades shortage at the moment. Especially electricians and plumbers. not sure about other trades.
If you were an electrician, I probably could have you a job by the weekend.

As for living here. It all depends on where you are. Do you like big cities or the country. Each has it's benifits and disadvantages. Do you like the beach? Can you handle hot weather? How long do you want to be here?
I have travelled extensively through Europe and the US and I still think OZ and NZ are the best places in the world to live. (I lived in NZ for 5 months a few years back.) Even though they are a bit far away from every where else.

I have probably given more questions than what I have answered, but it all depends on what you are looking for.

S

s15andy.s

well i plan on goin for a year anyway on a working visa..and if i like it i would prob stay longer if i could because ireland is such a crap place to live right now..i like the beach an wudnt mind livin in a city at all once there was work an a good nightlife i would be happy:nod:..oh ya an warm weather is great(alldo i would prob burn a bit):rolleyes: cuz the weather is so **** here all d time!:eek: i know alot of people from here where im from out there at d mo an they all love it.. better work,more money,better weather an better standerd of living overall it sounds great of what ive heard! i heard sydney can be expensive to live doh..my cousin is workin in melbourne at the mo and she loves it..im definetly gona head there nxt year! what part do u live in..is it hot weather all year round?

Reaction score
He lives in Sydney like me and we do have cooler weather in winter but its warm 9 months of the year. It is the most expensive city in Australia but you will make more money than in smaller cities and towns.

Brisbane is a little warmer in winter but can be bloody humid in summer.

Melbourne is a bit like Ireland in winter lots of cold rain and can be hot in summer but a drier heat.

There is quite a bit of work in the building industry ATM as our economy is very strong so getting work with a visa will not be hard.
If you come to work in Sydney next summer I'll give you a job and I live near one of Sydneys best beaches, Manly.
I even supply sunscreen and insect repellant:D

S

s15andy.s

There is quite a bit of work in the building industry ATM as our economy is very strong so getting work with a visa will not be hard.
If you come to work in Sydney next summer I'll give you a job and I live near one of Sydneys best beaches, Manly.
I even supply sunscreen and insect repellant:D[/quote]

ha ha lol i might take u up on that offer auss15..i reckon id need a serious amount of sunscreen factor sudocream more like:D on a serious note doh what do u work as? is it expensive to rent somewhere to live in sydney?? like a 1bed appartment or somethin.?id say the beaches are unreal id imagine yee would be out cruisin in yer s15 spottin all the hot oz chicks:thumbs:

Reaction score
ha ha lol i might take u up on that offer auss15..i reckon id need a serious amount of sunscreen factor sudocream more like:D on a serious note doh what do u work as? is it expensive to rent somewhere to live in sydney?? like a 1bed appartment or somethin.?id say the beaches are unreal id imagine yee would be out cruisin in yer s15 spottin all the hot oz chicks:thumbs:
I have a Lawn and garden maintenance business and most of my work is around the beaches.

Rents aren't cheap particularly around the beaches but you can find share accommodation easily. You are paying for a lifestyle which I reckon is second to none, hence why so many Aussies live close to the coast.

Here's a little taste of what can be found at most beaches:D:D

Reaction score
Country
Where's the Perth love?

If you are energetic and likes to club, stay AWAY from Perth.

Otherwise, perth is a remote place from all the other states and has a relax and slow life

Reaction score
Hahaha I'm led to believe its one of the most isolated cities in the world. Good place to get lost:cool:

Last edited:
S

s15andy.s

I have a Lawn and garden maintenance business and most of my work is around the beaches.

Rents aren't cheap particularly around the beaches but you can find share accommodation easily. You are paying for a lifestyle which I reckon is second to none, hence why so many Aussies live close to the coast.

Here's a little taste of what can be found at most beaches:D:D

Good god id actually crawl 100yards through broken glass just to see the van that brought her dirty underwear to the cleaners:D:p:nod::nod: i cant wait to move there next year..hopfully ill see a nice few modded s15's aswell..:thumbs:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
:rotfl: They don't all look like that, but the percentage is still high ;)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
is there much of a railway system out there in oz? im a railway signals technician (railway electrician/fault finder) and would love to move out there one day, as would the missus - only trouble is wouldn't know where would be the city or place most likely to employ someone for this as its not exactly a trade as such. somewhere with a busy rail network most likely but where would that be?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
:rotfl: They don't all look like that, but the percentage is still high ;)
True, but I saw some truly horrific sights on Manly beach in January... :hurl:

is there much of a railway system out there in oz? im a railway signals technician (railway electrician/fault finder) and would love to move out there one day, as would the missus - only trouble is wouldn't know where would be the city or place most likely to employ someone for this as its not exactly a trade as such. somewhere with a busy rail network most likely but where would that be?
There are fairly busy rail networks in the main cities, with services running between many other cities and towns in the same states. Each state has its own rail system with individual gauges. The exception are the specific interstate lines.