What's new

Tyre shop damaged my new wheels

Reaction score
I copied this over from my 'for sale' thread.

Also, I was going to post earlier that I took the 17s to have the tyres removed and the place guaranteed that they wont damage the wheels hence why I paid a little extra. Low and behold, they damaged them as theres now a scrape about an inch long on the edge of the rim. I saw the guy drop the wheel on the machine but they said that the surface is rubber and wont damage it. They checked the vid and since its only 1fps, its not possible to see it clearly however they're convinced the scrape was there before when I know for a fact it wasn't. I also saw on the video that the guy was going really hard at it with a crow bar to remove the tire so this may have also caused the damage. Im not sure what to do now as I feel im going to take a hit no matter what I do. Kinda feel like giving up.

Reaction score
Country
its nearly impossible to find a decent place that wont scratch rims. nodays.. too many cowboys out there that just dont care.

Reaction score
is there anything I can do? Trading standards? The way I see it is that its my word against theirs. Because of their negligence, I will be out of pocket by a few hundred quid!

Reaction score
i've got a mate that works in a tyre place, so always go to him..... he takes extra care with them. :)

the machines are nylon coated, and shouldn't scratch rims, but.... swarf off of previously pre-kerb'd wheels gets caught in the nylon, and that's what can cause scratches. plus.... the nylon does wear, so if not changed, again, that can cause it.

think sadly, you're just gonna have to take the hit for this one! :(

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
i would make a fuss about it cuz i hate that happening and i always make sure ppl dont do that to mine.....cuz ive got some buddy clubs on my civic and i watch them change my tyres each time and make sure everything is ok when fitting....

Reaction score
making a fuss won't help though.... it's un-mediated and will just get out of control.

unless proof can be provided the scratch weren't there before hand, you can't prove nothing. no one workin' there is going to admit to damaging a rim...

so as said, your word against theirs....

Reaction score
Country
Ideally you need them to have confirmed beforehand that there is no damage on the wheels already, a good place will normally have a good look over the wheels in front of you before putting the tyres on. This also covers their own backs

As been said, if its just your word against theirs there isnt much you can do :(

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Exactly what I was about to say. You need to get them to examine each wheel in your presence and agree that there is no damage before they start. Sad, but unfortunately true. This will give incentive to ensure they don't damage one. If they do - they pay.

Reaction score
I know, it was a stupid mistake. I told them they were brand new but I didnt get them to check it over. So irritating but I guess I should look at it this way, I was going to buy a house just two weeks ago!! Wonder how much money I woud've lost then!!

Reaction score
Country
You wouldnt have lost money on buying a house unless you plan on selling it within the next couple of years ;) Of course waiting longer to buy one will hopefully mean lower repayments a month or shorter term mortgage...slightly off topic but hey :)

Reaction score
Im a software engineer for the land registry we write all the apps to monitor the true house price variations... i wouldnt even think about buying anywhere for atleast 2 more than likely 3 years... unless you find a fixer-upper that some bought then went into arrears!

Shady - **** dude you havnt had much luck... i buy my tyres online or get them through my mates sponsorship then get kwik fit to do it!!! Yes Kwik fit... i stand next to the machine while they do it and if they do anything i dont like then :whip:
Unfortunatly there is nothing you can do apart from not use them anymore!

Reaction score
I took mine to Bracknell Tyres first time round but only because they have a very good rep. Its a 40min drive and it wasn't cost effective to go all the way back to have two tyres removed! In hindsight, I should've gone back but theres nothing I can do now. The mark isn't even tht bad but when anythings new, any sort of damage is infuriating!!