Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jono Guest

Stupid boy :o(

On Monday I decided to re-fit the negative battery terminal to my battery, as when I fitted a grounding kit a few weeks back, I'd not secured the clamp as robustly as I'd have liked.

Anyway, full of the joys of a sunny bank holiday monday morning, I set to with a 10mm spanner and started to undo the clamp on the +ve terminal. What happened next... can you guess?

Yes, foolishly I had not thought of disconnecting the -ve terminal first and when the spanner came into contact with an earthing point I received a nasty shock. Worse still - the spanner was in contact with my gold engagement ring which I wear on my right hand. The ring heated up to such a temprature that it melted itself to my finger... the skin on my finger burst open like a banana skin right down to the flesh and there I was, left screaming in the street trying to pull the damn thing off my finger.
    48hrs later it looks exactly like this... The picture doesn't do it justice believe me.

The ring was a 4-band puzzle ring, the sort that come apart... that's been nicely fused together, and the celtic pattern it made when assembled has been well and truly b*ggered as well. Gutted.

Suffice to say, it hurt quite a lot. I can safely say, I'll not do that again!

Liked
    Fooking ouch!?!!

Liked
    buddy take care

Liked
    Damn

I suspect this was on the R33. almost did the same thing myself.
    very easy to touch earthing points when undoing the nuts.
    Nissan GTR -09 Now with Cobb accessport stage 2

Jono Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakozan View Post
    Damn

I suspect this was on the R33. almost did the same thing myself.
    very easy to touch earthing points when undoing the nuts.
    Correct it was

Liked
    Screw the finger...id be more worried of blowing the electrics!!

Still it could be worse...my brother got round a friends house once just in time to see him jumpstart a car using + to - in the loop! Melted the insulation on all the wiring and blew pretty much everything, very expensive repair bill

Hope its heals quickly....especially if you are lefthanded.

Jono Guest
    Yeah, the bill would have hurt more than my finger I expect!

Liked
    god damm.. not good mate :S
    [|mintofruit.com .. ミントさんs own posting malarky ^.^ [] JDMtas.com f00! |]

gunner93 Guest
    Hi Jono... what a painful experience. I had my share of experience once wrongly connected a new battery -ve terminal on the +ve clamp. After got it all connected up the whole wire was smoking real bad! I was like WTF! Fortunately car was still ok and I just replace the entire cable to the alternator.

Jono Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner93 View Post
    Hi Jono... what a painful experience. I had my share of experience once wrongly connected a new battery -ve terminal on the +ve clamp. After got it all connected up the whole wire was smoking real bad! I was like WTF! Fortunately car was still ok and I just replace the entire cable to the alternator.
    You were lucky!!!