What's new

Moving to OZ

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Just been speaking to a guy at work about the poor weather, he asked why i didnt move to Australia, which got me thinking about it. Weather is nicer, you get S15's over there :)D)....... any other reasons to tempt me, as i know nothing about it really - What about propoerty values, and where to live.

Also, wondered if some of your guys knew how easy / hard it would be for me to get a job over there. I'm a qualified QS, and have over 6years expericence in Construction. A quick search has thorwn up a couple of jobs, but can i just apply or is there some kind of entry system i have to go through?

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
My advice would be visit first (for a long as possible) and check out all the things you want to know. You might find that you can't stand the place. The way of life and people take a bit of adjusting to (no offence guys :D ). I know people who have moved, solely on the basis of a holiday, and come back again. A holiday is quite different to living and working. The distance from family is also a BIG issue. Having lived in the UK and Oz, and with my folks still over there, it can be hard.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I live in the UK, originally due to circumstances, then due to marriage. It is possibly I will be back in Brissy to live in a couple of years. There is no doubt that I'd prefer to live in Oz, but there are a hell of a lot of things I'd miss here...

Z

zimmi

i moved to oz about 7 years ago to the brissy region from africa, i agree with nicely it does take a while to get used to the way of life, but the weather is good

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
A close mate of mine will study in Perth for 2 and a half year.
I'm thinking about visiting him for and extended period of time :)

The weather is nice.

Any reason you shouldn't go?
Jellyfish and sharks. Oh, and they drive on the wrong side of the road :wack:

Z

zimmi

i moved to the gold coast, but i have spent a year in north queensland but it is way too hot up there, and yea there are heaps of jellyfish up there not so bad on the gold coast tho but i have seen a few sharks. perth is also really nice but bigger sharks there lol. when did you live here smiley ?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I grew up in Brisbane. Went to school in East Brisbane (right next to the Gabba :D ) and Coorparoo. Been over here since 1983, but have been back loads of times. My folks live in Cannon Hill. My brother has a house in Townsville, but is in Canberra (RAAF) at the mo. :)

Reaction score
Not to clued up on emigrating but a friend of mine is trying to move to Oz.
Apparatnly they have rather strict laws on who is eligable, my friend hasn't got any "special" qualifications and is struggling, if your a docter/farmer something like that you have a better chance, as for yourself, you have a skilled job so maybe it would be do-able???
I definately agree with nicely in the fact you should get out there for as LONG as possible. you dont wanna regret anything!

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Topper. Try going there on a tourist visa first. You can then look for jobs there and when you find one, they can sponsor you with a working visa. They only last 1 year I beliave, but that should be plenty of time to see if you want to stay there.

B

Bry

I started the long application process for migrating to oz on a skilled visa in august, I'm waiting to find out if the TRA (trades recognition australia) accepts my application as a skilled machine Printist and awards me the 60 points I need. From the 1st of september the rules were changed making things a little more difficult.There used to be 5 ways to apply for a skilled visa they were known as Pathways ABCD AND E .
A= Formal apprenticeship
B= In Formal apprenticeship
C= Vocational training
D= Time served in Job
E= Australian equivalent Qualification

Most peoplewere assessed under pathway D as all it required was that you had proof that you have been working in your nominated trade for more than 6 years, but as from the 1st of sep this pathway was removed due to fraudulent applications. Now to be successful in the other pathways you need to provide copies of qualifications(City and Guilds etc) in your trade as well as proof of Vocational training (college tuition lasting between 900 and 1800 hours) and proof of 5 years of training in you trade. I'm awaiting to see if I get accepted under pathway B,should hear soon !

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
We have a rather large trade shortage over here at the moment. So if you are a plumber, electrician or the like it shouldn't be that hard.

it's all a case of jumping throught the hoops they set out. It's a PITA, but I think living here would be worth it. (I must admit, i am a bit biased)

Reaction score
also thought about this..... and being a plasterer... i've got a trade, but... also, it's not a trade that carrys any paper work for it.

i dunno, i always think "it's a long way from home", what if something goes seriously wrong back here? and you can't get back in time for them last few words? etc....

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
you are about 24 hours away. It would have to be pretty sudden then you probably wouldn't have time anyway.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I got to Oz quickly last year. Flight booked Friday lunchtime, On flight Saturday lunchtime, in Oz Sunday evening. That's about the quickest you'd do it at the drop of a hat.

Believe it or not, its actually quite difficult to get into the UK from a non-EU country. That's taking the legal route...