What's new

What JDM hatchback for a Daily?

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'm thinking I'm going to need a daily soon, something JDM and fun, cheap to run and insure. Good on twisties but some motorway economy & practicality would be nice. Not looking at tuning it at all because I know what I am like!I'm liking the idea of:pulsar VZR (N1 would be epic) - anyone driven one? or know of one for sale?Civic is a good shoutLegnum/Galant - too big MX5 - too smallRX8 - too thirstyAny suggestions? Budget £3k

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
My little ek civic was great fun even as it was before the swap, cheap to run insure etc can't go wrong really. Loved every civic I have owned! Ep3 isn't my cup of tea but can pick them up so cheap and are quality cars be silly not to consider one or the ep2 1.6 sport is even cheaper but looks like the type r. If you want something uber cool I just spotted this ! http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261714566366 would love to buy it myself but have enough projects ha ha ha do love a pulsar but would Defo be too tempting to modify that, they are awesome

Last edited:

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
What a bout a toyot altezza? With the beams 2 litre. Awesome little engine and the cars lovely to drive too! They are about 3k

Reaction score
Country
What about a Suzuki swift? The sport one is a hoon to drive on twisties. Or a yaris t-sport?

Reaction score
Country
As much as I'll get flamed for this I'd be looking at German cars for a daily. Much nicer place to be and less likely to end up modifying them.

Reaction score
Country
As much as I'll get flamed for this I'd be looking at German cars for a daily. Much nicer place to be and less likely to end up modifying them.
Absolutely, I run a Lexus GS daily and even that is cheap tat compared with the German machinery.

Cess

Staff member
Instagram Staff
Reaction score
Country
Yeah I've a Saab 9-3. Not once have I thought about modifying it and its nice to have something stock, with decent kit, that's easy on fuel and comfortable.

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I think you guys are probably right about the German cars. The inside of a lot of the older jap cars I'm going to be looking at are going to be a bit crap.

I'll keep my Pulsar VRZ search down to N1 only (very unlikely I'd find one) which would make up for a rubbish interior.

I do suppose a Suzuki Swift would be newer so a little nicer. At least I have a few months to think about it

I still have a soft spot for a Renault Clio Cup 172/182

Reaction score
Country
Iv'e had quite a few import Honda's Civic's and an Integra DC2 and rate them very highly. You have to drive them hard to enjoy them, if your daily commute is a fun piece of road i can't think of anything better!

Another choice could be the Corolla T-Sport. With a decent set of coilovers they are great cars. Standard, they don't handle well at all. i quite like the 2ZZ engine. It's no K20 mind, but they are a cheap cheap car. something about them being the underdog to EP3 makes them strangely appealing to me

Talking about Renaultsport's, i have just bought a new daily, something a little different to my usual tastes, and i didn't even knew they existed until i came across this one!

Renaultsport Megane 175 DCI

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/233545/renaultsport_megane_dci_175.html

Exactly the same as it's petrol-engined counterpart (even badged the same). Brembo's, Renaultsport Interior etc, but fitted with the 2.0 Diesel engine with 175bhp, 265 lb-ft. & with most modern diesels, they see good gains with a remap. Upwards of 210bhp, 360 lb-ft and return 45-50mpg.

Will make a post about it when its on the road :thumbs:

Cess

Staff member
Instagram Staff
Reaction score
Country
Wow. I like. If I new such a car existed, Saab barge would not have been entertained.

Seat Ibiza Cupra diesels are great cars too. Massive brakes, handle well. Big torque. Petrol version sounds better though.

Reaction score
Country
My dad has had a couple of Saab's, he currently has a 2001 9-3 Turbo convertible, it shifts! but wow what a barge haha. Have a real soft spot for the marque. Especially the older Saab's.

A guy i work with has quite a modified MK4 GT TDI 150. Exhaust (sounds nearly stock), intake, remap. Koni suspension, and its a great package overall. All the mods are subtle . He has had it from new and its on 190k now, he loves it. He has a Caterham and says he has as much fun in the golf. not sure if i believe him :rolleyes: