What's new

Registering a car in the UK

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys anyone know the process of what to do when bringing a car from a different country to the UK. I was planing to fly over to the EU buy the car and drive it back but really dont no what would happen with insurance,tax,MOT main concern is driving it all the way back and not getting into trouble over it.
Its an S15
thanks

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
So the car needs to be
insured with a uk company via the vin number
taxed and Mot equivilant in its country to be driven without trade plates, or NCT if its Ireland. Otherwise you risk it like any time your in the uk.
Then get it MOT'd on the vin number
fill in the correct DVLa forms (55-55a form) and pay your registration fee and pay for tax whilst handing over the forms at a DVLA tax office, inc valid insurance and mot certificate.

Then wait 2-4weeks for registration plate documents.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Cheers Sam, the lad has spoken to there driving agency and they can issue me transportation documents and insurance for €135 to get it back home then guess I go through the above process to get it uk registered?

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Where are you getting it from?

Thats not a bad deal, you will still need uk insurance for when you drive it on the road here. And also to register it after mot etc.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Cool! Its an easy process really. Just got to make sure you get some documents with it to prove the duty has been paid in the eu.