What's new

Help with car registration

Reaction score
Country
Right so finally I got my spec r the other week, tried too get an MOT but failed because of no ref plates. So filled out the v55 form, sent the money with the paper work and now got a letter through saying I have no MOT.

Said to the MOT people and they said there's no other way about it, no plates = no mot. (Car was fine and came up with no other issues).

So anyone with the same experience or advise on this as my silvia is turing into a garden ornament.

I will phone the DVLA on Monday but is a joke.
Oh also got sky insurance on my case saying there gonna cancel my insurance if I don't tell them my reg!!!!

Cess

Staff member
Instagram Staff
Reaction score
Country
I mot'd mine with a chassis number as when I bought it, it wasn't UK registered. And I had to mot it first to allow me to register it.

Reaction score
Country
As CESS said, the MOT place is wrong. I too had to insure & MOT the car on the chassis number, then i went to the local DVLA office, filled out the correct forms to register the car and also apply for the tax disc. A couple of weeks later i received my Log Book with the designated registration, and my Tax disc. Went had the number plates made and she was all legal after i called the insurance to update them of the newly designated registration.

This is the correct, and only way to do it.

The only stumbling block now is that the local DVLA offices have all closed, so you will no doubt have to send all your forms direct to the DVLA.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Just as has been said! The mot station is wrong, I would also take it to an MoT station that knows what its doing! As the old guys probably won't be happy to be proven wrong and will be harder on your car!!

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
The MOT station is wrong punch the tester in the face!

Importing a car is meant to be simple!

I register mine within a week. You have to MOT before you can Register it!

Reaction score
Country
Thanks everyone for all your help.

Yeah the MOT guy was wrong and I'm back tomorrow too get the paperwork. So hope nothing else happens lol

Reaction score
Country
one more question, do I have to pay any duty or tax due?
or it is enough to send sale/buy agreement and registration certificate to dlva with all paper works?
car is from Ireland

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
You'll have to pay tax if its never been registered in the EU.

If its been registered in Ireland you should be ok. Best to check with DVLA!

Reaction score
Country
all I've found is, I have to pay tax(10% of price I paid??), or if I paid TAX in country where I bought car from, I don't need to pay any...
but thing is, I bought that car in Poland, and it's registered in Ireland, so... i don't really know :)
anyway, have to find passenger headlight cause won't pass MOT without it, and then I'll try to do everything through HMRC(NOVA application or sth), and... will finally drive fullu legal, have to be ready to go to few round of BDC again in this year!