What's new

Workhorse Daily, what to get????

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
What I am after is a 4x4 estate, pretty cheap to buy (not more than £2k) Needs grunt, but economy and comfort are more important. Ideally year 2000 onwards.

What I have in mind are:
Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI, parts will be expensive though
Subaru Legacy 2.5 or Legacy Outback H6 3.0

Any suggestions?

I'm having trouble with alot of smaller Estates that would be more efficient but due to towing laws the mass of the trailer and whatever is on it (S15) needs to not be more than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle. The Outback H6 weighs 1610kg, and the Legacy 2.5 is a bit light at 1445kg ish.

The max towing weights of the subarus are 1.8t though...

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Not sure who cheap they are now, but I've got an Volvo XC90 as a family daily and its brilliant, it will pull anything as well.

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
XC70s aren't far off my price range, they do look pretty good too.

Also found that Audi A6 2.5TDI quattro estates are big enough and are pretty efficient.

Maybe if an old Jeep Cherokee comes up with LPG i'd be tempted. Always liked them.

Has anyone actually been pulled over to get weighed though while towing?

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
That is where I started looking but they don't weigh enough:

[h=2]Licences held from 1 January 1997[/h]If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can drive either:

• a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500 kilograms (kg) Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (with a combined weight of up to 4,250kg in total)
  • a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as it is no more than the unladen or ‘kerb’ weight of the towing vehicle (with a combined weight of up to 3,500kg in total)

Because the trailer probably weighs 400kg, I need a vehicle that is 1600kg+ :s