What's new

Selling you car abroad?

Reaction score
Country
Has anyone had any experience with this?

Someone from Germany is interested in my car and I just want to make sure I do everything correct if its a genuine sale.

What do you do about the tax? My tax runs out end of April so I will probably end up taxing it for nothing as it will be leaving the country...is there any way of getting this money back? Its either going to have to be covered by the buyer or get them to post back tax disc and get a refund then? But you will need V5 I presume?

Any other things to look out for or check? Obviously cash in pounds is the way to go.

Cheers

Reaction score
I know a couple of kids who've sold to German people and they don't tend to mess you around,

It's because it's hard to import a car to Germany as it has only a few ports .

I would do sterling only sale and make sure he refunds the tax

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
A few guys on here sold their cars to lads from Europe , think Craig and gav both did iirc be worth having a word with them if your unsure of anything mate

Reaction score
Country
Not sure how it works in Germany, but you'd need to have a valid mot and compile the permanent export section and another one on v5.
Here in Italy you'd be asked to have a proof of sale, like a piece of paper saying: "I, Mr. Popeye McDrift, resident in springfield, etc am selling my car license xx444yy to Average Joe, bla bla for the price of a penny etc..
don't think you'd need to give much more else since in Germany they are less strict than here in Italy

Reaction score
Country
I would ask him to turn up with cash, and let him drive it away, if it was someone from another country unless you know him or her personally, i had buying scams from spain sent to me when trying to sell the old 190 when I was in your part of the world, germany the chances would be a lot less but..